Anything better than duct seal for silent trap?

Hi Guys,

I picked up a Steyr ProX with the 10 round mags. I'm sending so much lead downrange I'm concerned about bothering neighbors. The loud noise is when I miss and the pellet hits the backstop. When I hit the targets they don't make as much noise.

Anyway, I've used duct seal for a long time in the smaller traps. It's easy, clean, effective and low maintenance. The only down side is weight. I'm thinking of having a big square trap made to replace the two traps in the photo. I'd fill it with duct seal...but is there anything better? (The backstop on the current traps is at an angle so kind of hard to stack the duct seal.) The key is clean and low maintenance.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Dave

IMG_1196.1644355530.jpeg

I use a large rock, I mean a really big rock, mabey 4' long and almost 3' tall and over 18" thick. Dug it up in my yard when establishing my lawn. No sound at all, pellet disinigrates on impact. I keep a small pile of sand at the base and scoop up, dispose, and replace about once per year. Only noise is the report from my airgun. Now...I live in an area where I can shoot anything at all, I just try to keep noise near the house at a minium to keep from scaring away the critters. Pest control can also be fun !!!

I haven't found anything better. Although I have kept my eyes open for many years just in case.

Thought the Rubber Mulch was going to werq but it smells awful kind of like rubber ;^) so nope.

I cracked the wood on my nice oak box, with duct seal inside, shooting my 100fpe 9mm into it one to many times. Never did go through the two inch bricks though.

So now I just stand the bricks up against the wall and each other and it werqs fine.

Hey, thanks guys. I'm from the swamps in Louisiana originally and life brought me to Hawaii...no plan...just lucky.

My neighbors are great and I asked the one I was concerned about and he said no problem. But, I still want to moderate the sound...so nobody knows when I miss...which is quite often lately.

For the noise - just bolt a mud flap to the inside of the back and sides (cut too fit)

This has my interest. Will a mud flap hold up to something like a 715 fps .177 or will it chip off the material? Have you tried this as a backstop?

By the way, the law on Oahu with pellet guns is you can shoot them in your yard as long as the pellet doesn't leave your property. Tempting to shoot at the coconuts floating by but I am a law abiding citizen... ;)

Thanks,
Dave

I may try a rubber mud flap on the front of my target to replace the cardboard. It'll probably hold the rubber mulch in better too. Another thing I'll do it switch to a smaller box. It's about twice the size of my target faces and even though I tend to leave it in place it is a bit heavier than it needs to me. I think my current holds three bags of the rubber mulch. 

I have never used a mud flap. I was suggesting it too line the (inside) of of trap you are using . A semi mud flap, the pellets would probably just bounce off. This is my setup, the bucket is fill with rubber mulch (part way) see the dotted lines about half way on the bucket . I screwed a piece of 3/4 plywood to the inside then added the mulch (from home depoe) for your .177 you could go less . I've shot mine up to 40 ft.pds. at 6 ft. no pass thru . You can use cardboard for the front covered with (duck tape) but I use 1/4 plywood or 1/4 compressed cardboard like they use in the bottom of draws wrapped in duck tape. the strips of metal with magnets hold the target.

0325211551.1644422575.jpg
0325211551a.1644422624.jpg
0325211552.1644422662.jpg