• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

anyone using a monopod shooting stick?

I bought an inexpensive vidpro telescoping aluminum monopod. My question is, have any of you done this and manufactured a yoke to screw into the 1/4-20 screw in the top of the monopod? If so can you share any design or tips. Many years ago my brother and I designed and built a lightweight and easily portable shooting bench for our prairie dog trips. But the shape and material of this G2 stock is going to require something different than that.

96193628-C15A-4F15-A939-96E6D53EB167.1649382712.jpeg
87C377DB-D9D6-4B6B-908F-014AE431A34A.1649382713.jpeg

Home made 3/4”plywood with removable legs made this just for Pdaugs I just tuck it under my arm & don’t mind carrying for a hike. If your around Denver give me a shout [email protected]

Reactions: Hal4son
I have monopods and tripods for photography, all with arca-swiss rail. So I bought an arca-swiss rail for my gun and can use any of these. 

I don't find I use the monopod much, since it's only something I'd take if I really want support while shooting standing-up, and don't want to carry around the tripod. That's almost never for me. 

More often than not I'm shooting standing-up using just the hands, or sitting down with a bipod. 

I find the monopod works fine. It gives you one more point of contact when holding the gun, and takes most of the weight away. So it's a nice, mild improvement.

Hammers Precision V Yoke Rest Mount Attachment with 1/4-20 Camera Thread for monopod Shooting Stick Tripod https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F0S29G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MJ7NXGBNW8M7TPKGY0MR

I use these for a monopod (with foot), and tripods. But for out in the field pesting/hunting, I mainly use an Accu-Tac PC4 bipod with leg extensions.
Just ordered on of these. Looks like what I've envisioned making. Actually made it but haven't found the right wrap material. I have 0$ in the one I made. This one was free because of Amazon credits for returns.

I like to lean against a tree to improve my steadiness but I am thinking of a monopod for when a tree is not handy. Bipod would be steadier but also more difficult to carry around the woods. I've read that the Primus monopod is sturdy enough to use as a walking stick. That could help justify it's price tag. Any comments about the Primus or other monopod as a walking stick.

I like to lean against a tree to improve my steadiness but I am thinking of a monopod for when a tree is not handy. Bipod would be steadier but also more difficult to carry around the woods. I've read that the Primus monopod is sturdy enough to use as a walking stick. That could help justify it's price tag. Any comments about the Primus or other monopod as a walking stick.
Mine will work as a walking stick. My real plan is to use both the monopod and a tree to form a bi-pod. The woods I hunt are thick enough to do that most of the time.

Reactions: Revin
Just ordered on of these. Looks like what I've envisioned making. Actually made it but haven't found the right wrap material. I have 0$ in the one I made. This one was free because of Amazon credits for returns.
That's the kind of saddle I have at the top of my folding bipod. I haven't tried a monopod, but I occasionally used a walking stick when shooting groundhogs. Seems to me the addition of a second leg adds a lot of stability for a small weight penalty. When squirrel hunting in the woods, I just use the side of a tree. Given the large range of elevation, from ground level to tree top, it's hard to find a good shooting aid for woods hunting.

I use a extendable bipod for hunting and target. Or shoot offhand. Never use bags unless sighting.
There is a learning curve to using one. But I do shoot better with it than offhand. I've proven it to myself over and over.

It is about 18 inches fully closed and can be adjusted for sitting, kneeling or standing. It is very effective for taking down hill shots..
20220807_125422~2.jpg

Hammers Precision V Yoke Rest Mount Attachment with 1/4-20 Camera Thread for monopod Shooting Stick Tripod https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F0S29G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MJ7NXGBNW8M7TPKGY0MR

I use these for a monopod (with foot), and tripods. But for out in the field pesting/hunting, I mainly use an Accu-Tac PC4 bipod with leg extensions.
I got one of these.. It's great. The squirrel I hit was the longest shot of the day. sitting, with the monopod and this rest in front of me, leaning back against a tree. ROCK stable. Went right where the crosshair was. Very satisfying to hear that THOK!!! followed by the thump of ground contact... It just never gets old.

Reactions: Ranchibi
You guys are killing me I am in West Texas , What the hell is a tree LOL.
I used to practice a lot with a monopod and thats what it takes a lot of practice like off hand shooting , I am just about to pull the trigger on a good tripod , I got a couple but there not light weight and I would not carry them around. Very very open to suggestions .
Mike

I got one of these.. It's great. The squirrel I hit was the longest shot of the day. sitting, with the monopod and this rest in front of me, leaning back against a tree. ROCK stable. Went right where the crosshair was. Very satisfying to hear that THOK!!! followed by the thump of ground contact... It just never gets old.
Very cool! And yes, that sound when hit is addicting! LOL! I use mine mainly for sniping rats!

Reactions: Satchel