• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Anyone Use A SSWF SS 16X For Field Target?

I don't own a 16x but can share my experiences on using the 20x, mil-quad reticle. 

I use them in 20x for open class. I actually like it enough that I have three of the 20xs, one on my open class PCP, one on my open class springer, and the third just floats around on other airguns. I have a buddy who bought the 16x and plans on using it for hunter class in the next few months.

The rear AO is a bit interesting. I have thought about putting some kind of donut on it but have yet to do so. I just applied tape to the rotating part of the ao adjustment and marked it. The lines get pretty close out past 35 yards. Realistically, (in 20x) it can range to the exact yard from 10-20 yards, within 2-3 yards from 20-30, and in 5 yards increments out past 30. When the wind isn't onery, I usually finish in the 80-90% range for targets knocked down (with the PCP). 

I have seen all of the videos on the swfa's repeatability when clicking, but I started in Hunter class and, even though I can click in Open, just use holdover. The mil-quad reticle is awesome for that.

It works well enough for me, that I don't currently have any plans to replace it. It is light, pretty clear, snaps in and out of focus repeatedly (and it doesnt care which way I am rotating, near to far or far to near to land on the same mark). 

For perspective, I went from UTG and Vortex Crossfire type scopes to the SWFA. If you're looking for something in the $300 range, I think you'll be pretty happy. If you're a Schmitt & B$nd$r type of guy, you'll probably be unimpressed.

I have seen some critical comments online about how fine the reticles are on the swfa ss scopes. I personally like a very fine one. I don't like the reticle to block my view of whatever I'm trying to hit. As far as losing that fine reticle in the darker backgrounds, yes, I had that happen to me on one target in one lane in the last four matches (went to the swfa four matches ago). It was a black faceplate target near the end of the match so the paddle was lead smear colored, and it was set back in some brush in a very shady area. I have not had that problem at any other time.

If you can figure out a pointer and some kind of larger scale to enhance the ranging I'd love to see your solution. In my mind I've pictured some kind of speedometer contraption with the scale fixed and the pointer rotating with the focus ring. I usually change my mind about it when I realize how wide it would make the gun since I like to use a hard case and also use the gun for critter busting (ground squirrel, pdog, starling, euro, etc). 

Even a throw lever that fits this scope would be helpful. I asked on here a while back about one and didn't get any responses. 

Nope, I don't use a sunshade.

I've looked through an Aztec and Hawke and my personal opinion is that they aren't as clear as the swfa ss scopes. Aztec and Hawke also give that cheap Chinese scope impression. I don't get that from my swfa's. But, everyone has an opinion and the feigned outrage that we see on social media if someone has a different opinion than our own is a lot of what's wrong with our society.

I don't think many 16x scopes can range very well, but I have not had much issue on that end yet. I have a Hawke Airmax 4-16x40 30mm, but I have a hard time seeing clearly with it. I had to send one back to Hawke, because it was always out of focus. I suspect that I am getting a weird parallax error that is opening my groups up because of variances in my eye placement. Hence, looking around for a better option. The Hawke does range ok, but I was looking for a clearer scope that would allow better definition of details and avoid the parallax issue. I have a couple of Athlon scopes that are clearer than the Hawke, but their ocular adjustments are too "movable" resulting in obvious POI changes. Looking at pictures, the SWFA SS looks very clear - here's a good comparison post:

http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/swfa-ss-classic-line-in-mil-mil.106792/

My biggest worry is the funky rear focus setup - it will make for a more complex/harder ranging setup.

Thanks for the input.

Dan