Anyone try out the AirMaks Krait X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Huma reg will be a push reg.... (verified)

Edit: I cannot wait to see if we can end up with a decent shooting gun for my cousin after this!
After the Huma reg and with the existing add-ons (DFL Koi + Element Helix + double reg setup) I think we should have a shooter on our hands! My rage and anger at Airmaks for knowingly releasing this $1700 improperly tested embarrassment to the market is slipping into positive optimism! Haha.

Last edited:
Anyone know the thread size of the krait gauges? Looking at replacing it with a digital version, unless someone knows of a more accurate mechanical gauge with a range between 1k-2k psi?
It’s 1/8 BSPP. But not all 1/8 BSPP gauge will work with the Krait as the way the gauge seals is with an o-ring at the thread shoulder with an o-ring groove as shown on the following pictures.
E836921D-6D01-4B9D-8DDF-27274644C1E5.jpeg
B22E93DF-204A-43EC-82A4-CDE0F1B5EC1B.jpeg

Here is an example of a gauge that won’t work as the thread goes all the way to the back of the gauge without out an o-ring groove and the thread maybe cut by the thread.
C778C17E-D651-4F1B-966F-EB7843BC1D87.jpeg

I have replaced my Krait with a Sekhmet gauge as it has a groove that the o-ring can safely seal the gauge.
CA14914E-0DFA-4AC1-95A3-0E77C1071CDD.jpeg
A237302C-14B8-4261-97F9-7639476CE274.jpeg

Right now while having to monitor the reg pressure, I thought about putting a bigger gauge on the gun. If I would constantly have to make tiny reg adjustments for the rest of the time I own the gun, I might have to. For now, and if I have a stable reg, I don’t want giant knobby gauges hanging off my gun. Those digital gauges can make you nuttier than a squirrel turd anyway.

Reactions: Sc0-
I didn't realise now small ( and neat ) the Gauge was on the Krait, I was looking for an alternative, the Sekhmet looks huge in that photo.
Rethinking, thanks for showing Jack K.
It's pretty far in front of the cheek piece, probably won't be a bother. Also, with some Vibratite 440 you don't need to worry about that oring.

My cousin just ordered one of these digital gauges that we are hoping will work pretty well, looks like a sekmet copy. Only 40 bones so no big loss if it sucks:

I’m just going to try to wait for the V-fixed reg. Not quite sure how I will find out about it or if it happens. I don’t feel like constantly emailing Airmaks or combing social media like a schoolgirl. For now I will just rely on what I hear from you guys. Dead of winter here so I’m not pressed to need a solution immediately. I do appreciate you guys that are staying on top of this. If my dual regger wasn’t dialed in and shooting perfect, I might have a different attitude and be chomping at the bit.

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
Big news: We think we got this thing to finally stop creeping!
The V3 reg has a tapered collar (sealing surface) and the V2 has a flat collar. The V2 will never work, BUT, with the V3.... It apparently can be made to work.

Once again the V3 reg looked like a child did the machine work. Rough surface on the tapered sealing surface. Also, inside the piston housing where the piston seals/slides, that also looked like a 3rd grader machined it. We polished the inside diameter of the housing with some 1500 grit and silicone lube. Got it nice and smooth. Before you could feel machining ridges if you dragged your fingernail across the surface.... which obviously is gonna have a big effect on the performance since the piston needs to slide smoothly and in a repeatable manner to be consistent.

Next, the V3 reg pin collar - started it off with 1500 grit. Just put the pin in a hand drill and polished it by hand with the 1500 grit sandpaper and some silicone oil. Then I went up to 2500 grit sandpaper. After that I broke out the 3M polishing cloth (LINK: https://amzn.to/3ipFVFI) and went from like 3000 in steps all the way up to 8000 grit. Took about a half hour to do all the work to the pin and housing.
Pics of the 8000 grit mirror surface on the pin:

1673275986629.png
1673276003986.png

And here are the chrony readings. #15 was the first shot of the day and it was after sitting for like 1 and a half hours. Normally this would have yielded a hot shot due to reg creep:

1673276057051.png

We added a digi gauge (LINK: https://amzn.to/3IEI23f) which is an amazing tool to monitor the reg's behavior. It has been holding solid at 117.5 bar for 3 days now. The recharge rate on these regs sucks and I think the design still sucks, so until I get my Huma (push design, way better) this is going to do just fine for now! We have a usable gun now!

Hope this helps!

Big knobby gauges on a sleek thin gun? I just can’t do it.

View attachment 317821
If this is in reference to the "fix" of my Ghost gauges... Read on.
If this isn't...referencing my Ghost change, move on to the next post.
I can only surmise from the photo..!

So...yes, if...this is a comment referencing my gauge comments, about the Ghost gauges being almost useless...

***Again...details matter, I'd MUCH, rather be more well informed by a readable, MORE accurate gauge...than pretty, any time !

But then again, I guess, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Mike

If this is in reference to the "fix" of my Ghost gauges... Read on.
If this isn't...referencing my Ghost change, move on to the next post.
I can only surmise from the photo..!

So...yes, if...this is a comment referencing my gauge comments, about the Ghost gauges being almost useless...

***Again...details matter, I'd MUCH, rather be more well informed by a readable, MORE accurate gauge...than pretty, any time !

But then again, I guess, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Mike
Hey Kevin
These 16 pages here have to do with the Krait which you probably don’t own because if you did you would understand the referance. The fact that you would even think that he was referring to your gun obviously means that deep down you know how it looks too.

The gauges on a Krait are anything but pretty. But they are low profile and you hardly know they are there. My fill pressure gauge, well it’s now my first reg pressure, is spot on. The reg gauge I don’t care about as long as it works. I don’t plan to share settings so my gauge, my pressure reading, my gun. The amount of reg creep that is needed to wreak havoc on a tune will show up on a nice little low profile analog gauge. I will admit that if my Krait had the reg gauge tucked up out of the way like a RTI or Impact, I would probably install a big ole digital or Wika so I could see it better because of its location. No right or wrong, just opinions and personal preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.