Anyone try out the AirMaks Krait X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is where an organizational structured like FX has (with a USA corporate entity) not only gives buyers legal avenues for resolution; just the fact that the manufacturer set up the business structure in the first place tells you of their dedication and intention to supporting of their customers.

Yeah, the vibe I get from airmaks is a bunch of slavic dudes in dirty Adidas track suits smoking cigarettes and building their guns with hand tools and a 68 year old milling machine in a dirty garage while they shout at each other and spill cheap vodka all over the place.

Whereas the vibe I get from FX is a bunch of sophisticated egghead airgun geniuses (who also have great business acumen) building some of the most technologically advanced airguns ever seen in a super-clean world class facility with the most up to date and advanced equipment possible (because that literally IS what they do) and after their shifts they toast with expensive champagne in a trophy room filled with trophies won using their guns.

Just go have a look at each company's website and I think you might be inclined to agree.

As Vetmx said previously, probably wise to go through the gun to add lube and check that everything is tight, trigger adjustment nut and bolt probe were loose on mine. Anybody know why Airmak chose to use a swinging hammer vs a guided in-line hammer?
I’ve owned a ton of guns with the old school hammer zinging down a tube and only 3 guns with the swing style. The three guns with the swing style have almost zero hammer harmonics felt during the shot. I prefer them for how they feel but this is what I’ve noticed. The guns just tune a little differently. With a conventional airgun hammer and the way it rebounds, I don’t want to say that we are always tuning around at least some hammer bounce but something is definitely different with a hammer that’s essentially a lever. I just like the way these type guns feel and sound when you squeeze the trigger and that’s why I kept mine and hope they figure out the reg.

Well, most of us airgunners aren't! If you want a kit gun, you buy an AEA or some other ~$500 gun. We spend top dollar for the following reasons:
  • Accuracy
  • Repeatability
  • Tunable
  • Customizations
  • Power
You can't have accuracy if the airguns velocity is not stable. You can't have accuracy if the tune is unreliable.

This is not a MTBF issue, this is a combination of a quality control issue, a DFM (Design For Manufacturability) issue, and an engineering issue. This means that even if you get an airgun that works great, it is eventually gonna fail published specifications, and hence, customer expectations.

If this was a car, it would not be protected under the Lemon Law, because it's not a one off QC problem; this would need to be addressed by a recall!

We also must understand the financial viability of the companies we spend our dollars with. It's very difficult to recoup your money from a corporation overseas if they have only distributor representations stateside, especially if the warranty is only a manufacturer's warranty.

This is where an organizational structured like FX has (with a USA corporate entity) not only gives buyers legal avenues for resolution; just the fact that the manufacturer set up the business structure in the first place tells you of their dedication and intention to supporting of their customers.
Then don’t buy it. Pretty simple.

"Don't buy it" is an understatement!!!

Anyway, I just finished the video on the double regs. We've got the "Turdmaks" © working somewhat decently, but we will 100% still buy the first aftermarket Krait reg that comes on the scene for this thing. Just as long as it is made by someone other than Airmaks...

I will say (again) that the gun does have some strong points to it, so we will continue trying to improve it despite it being built around a known faulty reg and sold to people like that anyway. We are kinda stuck with it and wouldn't wish this cursed gun on anyone else anyway, so it's our little problem child forever now. With enough hard work maybe we can correct his behavior completely some day. 🤞

OK, OK, I am finally starting to get tired of ripping on this company now that my cousin is at least mildly satisfied (C- level at best), which somewhat quells my rage about it... a little. So I guess I might finally shut up now. Maybe. 🤣 Thanks, guys.

Huma is working on a regulator. I do not if it’s independently or for AirMaks. I would think the later.
I may or may not be in contact with Huma.... This *alleged* Huma reg will be independent, as an aftermarket reg. Remember, this is all theoretical and you didn't hear anything from me other than speculation.... ;)

IF they are, in fact, making a reg for the Krait - good for them! They are doing a favor for the Krait owning community as well as taking advantage of a perfect market opportunity. Thumbs up (allegedly!) to Huma, as always! (y)

I am in contact with Huma

However, we are currently working on a replacement regulator for the Krait. Hope to have the prototype finished before the end of the month.

All the best

Team HuMa-Air
Well since the cat's outta the bag now... they said they'd send me a prototype. I hope to test it ASAP and report the results to you guys here.

While we wait for the Huma reg, I thought I'd try experimenting with the V2 reg (again, same exact thing as the V3 reg) and here are the before and after photos of the sealing surface on the reg pin. I have not tested this as my cousin has the gun.
BEFORE polishing:
1671475328615.png

After polishing:
1671475407820.png

I just chucked it up in a drill and spun it with 1500 grit sand paper + silicone oil, then 2500 grit sandpaper + silicone oil, then 4000 grit polishing cloth then 8000 grit polishing cloth.
I got rid of all those sloppy machining marks for the most part and now it has a mirror finish. Maybe this will help get that reg to stop creeping? One other thing I noticed was that the ID of the housing where the piston o-ring rides is pretty roughly machined, too. Might touch that up eventually. Will be neat to experiment with this V2 reg as a test dummy to see if it can be improved rather than just letting it sit in a drawer.
Maybe this is helpful to someone (will be more helpful if I actually install it and post results)

Hi Joe,

Prototype parts have been machined. Will assemble and test in the course of the week. If it all works as designed we finalize the drawings and commence a run of 100 pieces. They will be put onto our website in the “new products” cathegory. SO there should be plenty to go around by then. But I don’t expect that before end of January.

All the best

Team HuMa-Air,

I hope it will be a "push" reg where pressure pushes a piston down against bellevilles/springs to seal off incoming air once it reaches the set point rather than the silly "pull" reg that Airmaks concocted where pressure hits the piston and pushes it up against the belleville springs to pull a metal pin up into a delrin seal to shut off incoming air at the set point. I don't think this pull reg design can ever really work well.

I wish we had a drawing for this. It will be interesting to see what Huma comes up with. I'm sure literally anything will be better than Airmaks' design.

I just pray Huma doesn’t make another bottle adapter and reinvent their bottle reg for yet another gun. If they do make a screw in reg to replace the Krait unit, I’m really curious how they will do it. The Krait reg is a pull reg. It vents directly to atmosphere because your belleville washers are right under the screw that you adjust. If Huma makes a reg like all their others that pushes the piston or spool into the seat, how are they going to vent it to atmosphere so we don’t wind up with an air spring. They are smarter than me so it should be interesting. My gun has been a fun gun to shoot but every couple days I have to adjust the Krait reg down a couple bar to keep my gun floating around 900fps where it does it’s best work. So along with V2 regs being creepers, they also have stability issues. Just really strange how some people apparently, and I use the term loosely, have solid V2 regs. Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.