Anyone try out the AirMaks Krait X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has happened a a bunch of times in this industry. If you haven’t owned a ton of guns over the last 10 years, I understand you may not have noticed. Even your beloved FX sold me a train wreck years ago and they didn’t bend over backwards or cater to me. RTI regs, Benjamin barrels, Snowpeak everythings, Kral poppets, the list goes on and on. None of these manufacturers jumped online and made apologies or offered mass refunds. We just need to relax and give them time to fix it. If you don’t have that kind of time, maybe you’re being over run with rats or have a big competition to attend, just get a different gun. This issue is really not that uncommon. That’s why I kept my gun. I’ve done it before on more occasions I can count on one hand.
so if it was your call to release them for sale like they are you would ?

No. But did all the other manufacturers that I mentioned that released flawed products do it knowingly also. I‘m not privy to that information so I would have to speculate. I can say as Mr. Littleguy that I would halt all sales until there was a resolution. But I’ve never seen that happen with more than just PCP’s. They just keep selling that car or truck and the new owners receive a recall notice before they make their second payment. Big business.

This has happened a a bunch of times in this industry. If you haven’t owned a ton of guns over the last 10 years, I understand you may not have noticed. Even your beloved FX sold me a train wreck years ago and they didn’t bend over backwards or cater to me. RTI regs, Benjamin barrels, Snowpeak everythings, Kral poppets, the list goes on and on. None of these manufacturers jumped online and made apologies or offered mass refunds. We just need to relax and give them time to fix it. If you don’t have that kind of time, maybe you’re being over run with rats or have a big competition to attend, just get a different gun. This issue is really not that uncommon. That’s why I kept my gun. I’ve done it before on more occasions I can count on one hand.
What $1700 gun was ever released that was nearly unusable? This isn’t just an occasional lemon. It’s an entire model that completely sucks for most people that have it. It’s not the customer’s job to have “patience” when purchasing a SEVENTEEN HUNDRED dollar rifle. It’s the manufacturer’s job to make sure it’s 100% ready to go before releasing it.

All I’m saying is it’s happened before. My $1,700 Priest ll performance had the exact creeping problem coupled with a horrible recovery problem. My $1,900 Impact MKl had valve issues, reg creep and constantly leaked. It racked up so many frequent flier miles for service that I think it was eventually plagued with motion sickness. I’m not arguing that they have a real problem, I’m just not getting worked up about it until it’s time to get worked up.

No. But did all the other manufacturers that I mentioned that released flawed products do it knowingly also. I‘m not privy to that information so I would have to speculate. I can say as Mr. Littleguy that I would halt all sales until there was a resolution. But I’ve never seen that happen with more than just PCP’s. They just keep selling that car or truck and the new owners receive a recall notice before they make their second payment. Big business.
well for you its a challenge , for most guys who aren't machinist its a gun that was expensive and doesnt work and they are wondering why someone would sell them something like this when they could have bought something that could have brought them great joy, 1700 for a gun like this is a big problem for most , maybe you can solve the problem and help these guys out , the manufacture doesnt seem to be stepping up , or letting the buyers know whats going on

In my mind, they have given you the big 🖕 as far as support and owning the problem. Of course it’s only my opinion, but I’d be upset to say the very least. While I admire Vetmx’s chill attitude, and abilities, most don’t have that zen perspective. If they had said “yes we know, standby we’re working on it”, that may have helped with some customers, but in today’s world, probably very few.

Like I said earlier in this topic. I don’t recommend this gun right now. It’s a stinker. But it’s just the reg that’s making it a stinker. The rest of the gun oozes potential. That’s why we all are here and one of the nice things about these forums. The reviewer guys don’t post much and there’s a reason for that. Us regular consumers just tell it like it is. One other thing they could improve upon is the cocking sleeve that rides the barrel. Guys that have this gun need to grease that thing well because it will make quick work of your barrel.

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
If the test guns worked but the production guns didn’t then that means the QC on their fabrication sucked. Whether the problems are on the front end or the back, the gun is still just an expensive turd. And with their arrogance in lieu of contrition, AirMaks are digging their own graves at this point……. I certainly won’t ever buy one.

I have no clue about how Airmaks does their development and preproduction testing. The problem in this industry is freebie junkies don’t want to bite the hand that’s feeding them. Do their testers fall under this category? Who knows. I saw that one video long before I got my gun and his regs were creeping like a MF. Didn’t stop him from putting that video up. Gotta get them views. I am waiting for the final fix. If something occurs that’s outside of what I’ve experienced as a normal hiccup in this hobby, I might flip my lid. I’ve been in contact with the company and have no complaints so far. Everything is being handled the same as RTI handled their reg issues. Just do a RTI regulator search on this forum. No different. But be prepared for a lot of reading. Their reg issues date from 2018 to the present. Nobody’s flaming them and guys are still standing in line to get their latest gun.

I just got done messing with my gun again. It really likes one pellet. One. It hates Hades and kind of likes two others. I thought this kind of reminds me of how some unchoked barrels act. So I chambered a so so pellet and pulled the barrel. Pellet was just on the edge of being fully seated into the rifling. Pushed it through and no choke. So now I know my L does not have a choke. The reason why Hades don’t shoot is because of their inconsistent head side. No choke to compensate for that. Kind of a bummer but not the end of the world. I did change my pellet seating depth slightly so my skirts are full engaged to see if it helps or hurts. This unchoked barrel may be a decent slug barrel but I don’t want another .25 slugger. I also don’t know if the L gun can produce the power to even make shooting them worthwhile. Also the screw that attaches the cocking rod to the probe was loose. Glad I took the gun apart. You guys that have these guns, just take the time to go over the gun. Grease the barrel where the cocking sleeve rides. Pull the side panel and check the screws in there.

I also frequent " airgunforums " a UK based ( as I am ) air gun forum ;-).
There are people on the forum who are happy with their Kraits. Some people have had problems,
however ,
" Unusable " " crap ". " Turd " are not words I am reading on AGF.
I am an owner, KraitL.22 un-choked, I have had problems with the reg, I have had help from the UK importer ( thanks Chris, CDR guns ).

I have seen links to a statement, possibly Facebook, where AirMaks admit that there is an issue, unfortunately as I am semi literate I cannot find a link, but will endeavour to do so, there is something online regards.

I will be persevering with the gun, as I believe it will become a excellent tool for my purposes.

Thanks to those here on AGN who are working on solutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
I also frequent " airgunforums " a UK based ( as I am ) air gun forum ;-).
There are people on the forum who are happy with their Kraits. Some people have had problems,
however ,
" Unusable " " crap ". " Turd " are not words I am reading on AGF.
I am an owner, KraitL.22 un-choked, I have had problems with the reg, I have had help from the UK importer ( thanks Chris, CDR guns ).

I have seen links to a statement, possibly Facebook, where AirMaks admit that there is an issue, unfortunately as I am semi literate I cannot find a link, but will endeavour to do so, there is something online regards.

I will be persevering with the gun, as I believe it will become a excellent tool for my purposes.

Thanks to those here on AGN who are working on solutions.
Since you are on the other side that I spoke of, could you please keep us in the loop with what you are hearing. Especially since you are associated with CDR. I received a link to a UK forum about Kraits but it was mostly nonsense and gun pimping. One guy was having reg problems and he was brushed aside in favor of who could bolt the most crap onto their guns. I’m just interested in any progress with the reg and what guys are shooting out of their guns. I seem to be alone on an island with my .25.

I believe on Facebook a few reported issues of snapping off the bolt probe, luckily I think you discovered yours was loose as I am sure that contributed to why they broke. (Need to check mine) The one that you speak of did mention he vented the reg, had a picture but since I don't know anything about regs I couldnt figure it out. Whether the issue with the reg is fixed or not, I am pretty sure mine will stay double regged even if I don't fill it to 300bar very often. Also appreciate the info on the rubbing issue, might put some grease on it tonight.

I might turn down the Krait reg and try to do a shot string this weekend with normal pellets in the unchoked barrel. Am I disappointed in the rifle, no. Could the rifle be better, yes. I will say that Utah Airguns has been solid as far as support for this rifle and AirMaks has been very responsive as well.

Tonight I wanted to finalize what pellets I will be shooting out of my Krait and at what speed since I changed my seating depth. Got done with the H&N’s at 50 yards and could see my 75 yard target out there tempting me. I loaded a mag of the best pellets and dialed up another 21 clicks and hoped that was a good guess. First pic is 5 shots. The first shot landed a little low, maybe the pellet switch because the shot felt good. All the rest easily fit under a dime. The target was really shot up so I went down and switched it out for a new one. The second pic is another 5 shot group with the exact same hold except this time I noticed I had a 1 mph wind. Not a cell phone wind, a real live wind. It was still a perfectly acceptable group but you can see how much it moved because I was holding on the red circle again. This is why I kept the gun. In my opinion the gun is a little light in the bags to be expecting super tiny groups once you start getting out there. This light little gun behaves itself so well that it might do well at 100 if my 25gr pellets cooperate.

01247F9D-399E-4DF0-B2FD-F2140F8AC0A4.jpeg

A5212FC5-6DD4-4917-B378-983CA7A7334A.jpeg

4D1F3DC8-9D9D-4B7D-A7A0-CCCACCE733B7.jpeg

Wow, interesting thread.

I too am in the UK and recently left a message for Airshootist on his Utube page that in some cases price and quality have inverted in the air-gun arena. I bought my .20 Rapid 12 for £804.00 in 2004 (expensive at the time), never any problems etc but it was established by then.

However, paying $1700, which in the UK would likely translate to $2500+, to end up doing R&D for Krait would leave me feeling sick. $1700 is a lot of money for a non-essential must have item. When someone coughs up $1700 they have convinced themselves beforehand that they have made a wise decision, and that they have guaranteed themselves bomb-proof quality.

When my Swarovski 10x50 EL rubber armour starting loosening after a year, I started berating myself badly, yet little did I know beforehand that 'green environmental considerations' had taken precedent over common sense and lasting durability.

Last edited:
Reactions: darylm
Status
Not open for further replies.