Anyone try out the AirMaks Krait X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They shipped it, tracking says it will be here this week.

But as I wait, I still am speculating on the design. I won't know until it gets here but I just thought of the most simple fix ever for this regulator design.

Here we see the piston with the belleville springs on it which is attached to the "pintle" as VetMX called it. That bottom part of the reg would simply be made of all stainless (instead of containing a delrin valve seat) with a tapered hole in it and then an oring groove could be added to the pintle shaft so that when the springs compress under pressure the oring seals the hole and you get your set pressure. This is a way better and easier design than my previous speculation. God I hope this is what it comes with!

1668536316939.png

Reactions: Farmer Dan
Well I’m finally home. Until I have the time to get real creative, I’m going to shoot the gun like this. First reg 165-170b, Krait reg will be 135-140b. I need to get to the chronograph and find the reg setting that jives where I had my HS set. Yesterday I went at the reg with 1k then 2k sandpaper on the metal pin seating surface. I then set the reg to 130b and filled the tank to 165b to mimic a first reg setting. The Krait reg didn’t creep in 24 hours. So that’s where I’m at right now. Had an extra 300cc bottle so that’s what I’m going to use to keep the gun from looking and handling bizarre. Gun was sipping air before with the 480 bottle so I don’t think the 300 will cripple me. Time to shoot and see if it behaves itself..

C90DC92D-6451-4C06-BDFB-5DA02079D3F4.jpeg

Got it tuned. Going to test for accuracy at 905fps with 25gr pellets. I’m only going to fill the gun to 250b so I tested down to 150b which is 10b over my set point. I got 50 shots with the 300cc bottle. Might do a little better now that the gun is tuned and I’m not playing with settings. Doesn’t matter, 50 is good and my string is flat as a pancake. Gun will sit until tomorrow to see if Mr. Creep pays a visit. I’ll air it back up in a minute.

Got it tuned. Going to test for accuracy at 905fps with 25gr pellets. I’m only going to fill the gun to 250b so I tested down to 150b which is 10b over my set point. I got 50 shots with the 300cc bottle. Might do a little better now that the gun is tuned and I’m not playing with settings. Doesn’t matter, 50 is good and my string is flat as a pancake. Gun will sit until tomorrow to see if Mr. Creep pays a visit. I’ll air it back up in a minute.
That looks amazing!
Fill it to 300 bar and post screenshot of your whole shot string from 300 to 150 bar tank pressure! That will be the real test!
Also fill it to 300 and let it sit for like 2 hours to test for creep.

I should be getting the V3 reg in the mail today, so you'll also get some updates from me later.

Not interested in filling to 300b. The extra shots are not worth what you are doing to the reg that’s trying to hold that pressure back. I just feel with the efficiency of guns produced today and how convenient we are now able to fill them, there’s no need to lean on regs with 300b. If I felt I needed to fill this gun to 300b, I would make a Peek seat for the first reg.

My replacement gun is with fedex right now.
I keep seeing people with regs set at 125b and over. Heck the original gun would valve lock at 100b and that was with the HS 1/4 turn away from being coil bound. Hope this one is better.

Same as a Impact. Controls your dwell. What guys need to understand is if you touch anything like your reg or hammer spring, you have to reset the valve. But fortunately in this guns case, setting it to wide open will work just fine and save a lot of grief. Maybe at super low reg settings or maybe in a .177 you might be able to tighten things up by turning it in a smidge. But the valve return spring seems to work adequately wide open. A softer spring in there may have given more tuning potential but this gun doesn’t battle being over hammered so open it until it stops and let it be. The bad thing about having the ability to control the valve is if you are way out of whack with your HS setting and are completely smashing the valve pin too hard, that can be masked by a valve spring that’s turned in too far. So it kind of appears over the chronograph that you have things all figured out. When in reality you’re beating the crap out of your gun.

Finally able to get back out and shoot, After setting for a few days reg was still 109. 30 shots fired today
reg was at 105 ish when done. it was 35 degrees when shooting, The reg is back @109 after warming back up.
I started at 260 bar 70 shots and its down to 190 bar. You can see I had both rapid fire and slow fire shots.
I know one thing for sure What ever I shoot at, won't know if its 890 FPS or 990 FPS [LOL]
FYI I have a Sumo on it, and, it works very well.

Krait 11-17-2022.jpg

IMG_20221117_220523307[1099].jpg

Just some more tuning info for you guys because even if you get a gun with a working reg, the gun can change as it breaks in. Was shooting tonight and noticed the pellets I tuned the gun for at 905fps were now going 912-928fps. Erratic velocities and 50 yard groups were opening up. The reg was now at 135b. It must have settled. Knowing that my hammer spring was set perfectly for 139b, I moved the reg back up until the needle was just touching the 140b line. I went up 4b and the gun went from 920+ or- to 900fps. Back to tiny groups and shot string flat as a pancake. The gun is sensitive.

Just some more tuning info for you guys because even if you get a gun with a working reg, the gun can change as it breaks in. Was shooting tonight and noticed the pellets I tuned the gun for at 905fps were now going 912-928fps. Erratic velocities and 50 yard groups were opening up. The reg was now at 135b. It must have settled. Knowing that my hammer spring was set perfectly for 139b, I moved the reg back up until the needle was just touching the 140b line. I went up 4b and the gun went from 920+ or- to 900fps. Back to tiny groups and shot string flat as a pancake. The gun is sensitive.
You'll have to keep us updated if your gun with the two regs changes? are you going to install the V3 reg at any point? asking for a friend?;)

As sensitive as this gun is to reg creep, I’ll probably stay with the odd looking 2 reg setup until whatever reg they come up with has a stellar record. I plan to work on something else during the boring winter months that will be really cool for this gun. My only recommendation for your friend is don’t fill your guns over 250b if you have a good reg. If you need more shots than these already efficient guns produce, buy another gun or a better fill source.

Status
Not open for further replies.