Anyone try out the AirMaks Krait X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in my treestand and had an epiphany. If there are those among us that don’t have creeping problems, I would like to know their set points. If us power hungry Americans are having more issues, then I believe we are operating at the high end of what the reg is capable of. Because of the regs design, having it set at 130+ bar might not be doing it any favors. The fix could be a new washer stack or shim to tighten the operating range. The thing might function fine if you don’t go over 90b. Maybe this should be passed on to Airmaks.
I thought about that, too. Would need to be tested first before saying anything to Airmaks. I already told Airmaks I was at 130bar and they did not say anything about that at all. I was thinking of testing it at like 115. My guy Ed is saying his is holding steady at 115.... Seems like you'd be sacrificing quite a bit of power, though.

It would be interesting also to put some Wika gauges on these guns to get more accurate reads.

Maybe I'll hit up my cousin and see if he can test by setting pressure lower and seeing if it still creeps

My other gripe, with scope it doesn't fit in the case that it came with, unlike the Krait and KraitL...

IMG_20221107_175822550.jpg

Nah, just aired it up, charged my bottles, pulled a few spacers of the end of the barrel to shorten the assembly with the moderator, and mounted the scope. Still need to remove the anti double feed mechanism... Verified with AirMaks that it has the V2 regulator, hoping to get a few shot strings in this week with a Magnetospeed.

Not happy that the air inlet is exposed to debris, I see that a plug is offered for the Caimen and Katran, might fit the Krait?

Reactions: AirShootist
Having a fill probe is just silly. When we double reg this gun, that hole is getting plugged because we'd fill at the tank then.... with a standard fill nipple....

I think my cousin pre ordered a Krait-specific fill hole plug from Utah Airguns.

Keep us updated with chrony numbers, settings, and all kinds of data. Hopefully yours will actually work correctly. Fingers crossed for ya.

Set the reg to 100b last night. It’s 8 hours now and the needle only moved the thickness of the 100b line.
Yeah OK, that sounds better but how much power are you sacrificing? I think you'd only be able to get 35ish FPE at that pressure. Let us know!

So I fired off another email to Airmax. Cut and paste of the body of that email is below:

Thanks for your reply.

So is there a fix for this? What can we do to get this gun to stop creeping and function properly? The V2 reg seemed to work OK when I filmed my review but now it is right back to creeping and we still see the dwindling velocities as the tank pressure decreases. This makes the gun unusable for precision shooting as well as hunting.

Just so you know, I've edited my YouTube review title & comments to warn people not to buy this gun until a fix is realized. That video currently has about 3000 views and will only get more every day as time goes on. I will gladly edit the title and comments and remove warnings about this gun if we can get it to work correctly. But right now it is not fair to consumers to sell them a $1700 gun that has very poor performance. I am not the only one with this problem.

Let me know what you think. We are eager for a fix because we love the overall design of the gun, and we just want it to work correctly - especially since it is priced as a high end airgun. This was my cousin's first PCP and he is pretty disappointed with spending that much when he could have just bought an FX/RTI/AGT etc. in that price range that works correctly.

Let's see if we get a response. Right now I think it's fair to warn others not to buy this gun. Putting out a poor product SHOULD hurt your business, so I don't feel bad at all about editing that video title and the comments to warn others not to buy this. However, being a fair guy, if he comes back with some info that fixes the gun (or a v3 reg, or whatever), of course I'll gladly edit that title and the comments and remove the warnings. In the meanwhile, that video is gonna keep racking up views and detracting people (rightfully) from buying this gun. Time is ticking.

There is no way I can hunt with my gun set at 100b. I just did it to see if my theory is true. They need to offer two regs for this gun. A 70-120b reg and a 120-160b reg. I don’t have my calipers with me but I think at our higher reg settings, our needle or pintle isn’t engaging that seat as well as the lower reg settings. I need to be at home to figure this stuff out. When I get home my new reg should be there. I’m not even wasting my time installing it until I figure out spool travel and belleville compression numbers. If nobody else wants to tell Airmaks, I’ll try to email them from my treestand.

So the manufacturer knew or should have known defect and same with dealers at this point? If that is the case why are they still being sold?
The real question is how did they not know of this problem and still produce and ship them?? You can't tell me that this only happens with production guns and not the ones they created during preproduction for R&R. Are we to believe they unknowingly received a large batch of faulty regs?

The real question is how did they not know of this problem and still produce and ship them?? You can't tell me that this only happens with production guns and not the ones they created during preproduction for R&R. Are we to believe they unknowingly received a large batch of faulty regs?
Absolutely good question, but either way, they shipped me a V2 reg.... and it's still garbage. Therefore, I am publicly warning people about this gun until it's fixed. Like Vetmx pointed out, you're gonna see a lot of guys singing praises on the Krait on their Youtube videos. They were probably shipped a gun for free to review. We PAID for ours, in full, have to live with it, and therefore will give you an honest assessment of the rifle.
My downgrading my initial 8/10 rating to a 6/10 is being exceedingly nice. It should be less. This gun is useless for both hunting and bench shooting with a 100fps spread and unpredictable velocities due to creep. Even the 40fps differential between 300 bar and 150 bar tank pressure, to me, is straight up unacceptable. 🤮🤮🤮

Again, if Airmaks comes to the rescue my opinion could still change, so I'll try very hard to remain optimistic (and fair). I really hope they do, because selling this for $1700 is a real slap in the face to both airgun consumers and the airgun community/market at large.

Update: Konstantin replied and said a fix is being worked on and will send out some parts once complete. This is a good sign, and kudos to Airmaks for trying to get to the bottom of this. I sure hope the next updated reg works. I hope we can be optimistic about this since the V2 reg was no good. I'll try and stay positive. And of course I'll update you guys with exactly what happens, step by step.

Reactions: hussn32
My Krait showed up today...have to call Utah tomorrow and see what their going to do to get this p.o.s. shooting correctly. Their test sheet said 900 fps avg.. First 3 shots 619, 676 and 726
What a disappointment
Was on the phone with Utah a couple times Monday. They adked me to try a few things and get back to them with the results. Although the gun shoots much better it's still not right. They asked me to send it back so I obliged. It's in route via FedEx. Hope it doesn't take to long...

I got a reply from Airmaks also. I told him some theories I had. The response I got is don’t go over 160b or damage can occur. My gun came at 160b from Utah. I just can’t remember if it was a reg creep 160 and they had the gun at 150b or a true 160b. When I get home I will install another V2 reg and work my way up to my set point like grandma climbing a ladder. The problem is waiting for them to fix the issue is going to put most buyers out of their return window. So guys are going to shoot and fiddle with them then return them. Now, even if Airmaks invents a magic reg and sends them to UA, in reality they are sitting on a bunch of used guns. How many used guns are going to wind up in the hands of buyers thinking they bought a new gun with a V3 reg cure. Sounds like the Diana Skyhawk saga. What a mess.

After spending like an hour and a half on the phone last night with @Vetmx - we have some ideas just in case Airmaks doesn't provide a solution. One is my double regging idea. The other is to polish the "pintle" AKA the valve sealing pin collar. It sounds like Airmaks might be shipping new parts out.

@cwil58 - If you're in the states and you bought off Utah, you're good. We, however, bought off Krale in the Netherlands - meaning we are stuck with this. That means no matter what - we must/will find a solution. I'll of course keep everyone updated. Looks like I have become the de-facto point person on this whole Krait reg problems ordeal.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.