Anyone try out the AirMaks Krait X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem is I’m kinda over a barrel with this gun. It fits the bill perfectly for what I need. If I abandon it, I will either wind up with a gun I already have but in a different caliber like a taipan or RTI. A butt ugly Uragan or a Maverick compact. The Krait is slim, light, stout and well balanced. Gauges are low profile and so are the mags which are wonderful compared to the other brands. I went through the whole reg thing with RTI and kept the gun. I like this gun more. The guy at Airmaks is just as eager to help as Rob was at RTI. The countdown clock is running on the timeframe I have to return it. I won’t be home for at least another 10 days to install another reg they are sending me so my progress is almost at a standstill. I’ve just been playing with the reg I have in the gun and trying to get it set where my HS setting can handle the creep.

I just took a look at the adapter link AirShootist provided. I hope you realize you are moving your bottle 5+ inches forward when all is said and done. It’s going to look stupid so I hope it works. If it’s going to be a bench gun, who cares how far the bottle is hanging out on a limb.
Yes, I realize that. It's a Krait X (long boi) so: meh. It'll look a little odd but it will probably work pretty well. Gun wants to creep at higher pressures so if we reg it down to 150 then to 125 it'll probably be fine. Here is a pic of the length it adds, which is a hair over 4.25 inches. Not bad.
1667834099679.png

Imagine if this airgun just had a good reg on it so people wouldn't have to do crazy stuff like double regging it to get reasonable performance out of it...

Reactions: Sc0-
I am honestly pretty pissed off about this gun. I recommended it to my cousin as his first PCP and it is totally unusable as a hunting OR a bench gun. Especially for 1700 hard earned dollars!
Imagine going into the field with this thing and then wildly missing your first shot because your reg crept and you're 100fps below what you thought it was going to be.
I asked Konstantin at Airmaks if I need another reg or if there is some sort of adjustment that can be done. I will update here if he helps out. But for right now here are my thoughts on this gun:

DO NOT BUY A KRAIT

Hopefully we will get a response from Airmaks. I had sent a detailed email after my review with some very helpful feedback (unpaid, of course) that I was expecting at least a "thank you" on.... Hopefully I'll actually get a response to the new email I just sent now.

I think if we do not get a response from Airmaks the next steps will be to polish the valve stem and possibly the delron valve seat itself with some 4000 grit (or higher) polishing cloth. While we are in there the piston would be nicely silicone greased up to ensure smooth travel. I would also maybe polish the belleville washers. So all those things + adding that second reg (I think) should really help if not fix things completely.

The odd thing here is that I had that gun sitting for almost 2 weeks and it only crept like 2-5 bar. Then once we starting shooting it the symptom increased big time...

Last edited:
When I had my reg apart I was doing it so I could have my way with the seat. Wasn’t happening. That pin is either pressed in or threaded. I didn’t want to chance anything until I had another reg in my hand. I may be a bit of a prick at times but I do have a conscience. Don’t want to send a hacked up gun back to UA. Not that it matters. The reg might as well be a cork in the hole on my gun. Maybe they have a V3. Like RTI. They just keep trying. There may be a way to do the initial setup of a new reg after install that will help it seat properly. When I put my reg back in I did what I normally do with a new reg. Maybe this one is different. I know the way it seats is unique.

I would keep mine for sure if UA refunds me $1k or a store credit. Right now it’s a $700 can shooter. It cannot be anything more than that until fixed. I can fix it but I don’t want to go to extremes while I’m still in my return window. I just have to decide if my project finish what they started guns have evolved from $500 Krals and Snowpeaks to $1,700 supposedly upper tier guns. Good grief.

@Vetmx that pin is threaded into the bottom of the brass reg piston. You should be able to carefully remove it, but definitely don't scrape it up because I think its a sealing surface for that o-ring under the little hollow set screw (if I recall correctly from when I had it apart).

I'm right with you though - this gun is useless as it sits right now with the reg issues.

Reactions: joelayfield
Now you know why I don’t watch reviews. It’s because there are too many new optimistic juices flowing while shooting with rose glasses. I would take my reg out again but I only have a 45 minute tank with me at my camp. Already filled the Krait twice from dead empty. I don’t want this turd using up all the air for my M3. Is your cousin stuck with the gun or can he send it back.

Reactions: AirShootist
Now you know why I don’t watch reviews. It’s because there are too many new optimistic juices flowing while shooting with rose glasses. I would take my reg out again but I only have a 45 minute tank with me at my camp. Already filled the Krait twice from dead empty. I don’t want this turd using up all the air for my M3. Is your cousin stuck with the gun or can he send it back.
Stuck with it. Ordered from Krale in the Netherlands....

Anyway Airmaks replied just now saying they are sending all my data to the reg developer. I will await a response on that. Sounds like a foot in the right direction.

You're spot on about the reviews. I totally did have the rose tinted glasses on with that 8/10 review. I give it a 6/10 now, and that is being REALLY REALLY NICE.

In the meanwhile as I wait for a fix - I just went and updated my YouTube review title and added comments to warn others not to buy this gun. If Airmaks really steps it up here and does something to fix the issues, I'll remove those comments and put the original title back. Review already has about 3000 views, and the time is ticking... But I have no allegiances to any airgun manufacturer and if you are gonna put out a terrible performing gun you should expect the truth to be told about it....

Let's see if they fix the issue. If not I'm gonna make another video that is NOT a review, but a WARNING about this gun....

(As of right now I feel terrible for recommending this to my cousin....) 🥺

I’m going to guess that you recommended it more because you were curious about it than a mystery gun is a good entry gun into the pcp world. Otherwise you would have recommended a gun you already figured out and have him living happily ever after. Like you I also didn’t really like blasting a manufacturer publicly for something that could have just been an isolated incident. But my feelings have changed over the years. If you want to price your stuff with the big boys, it better match up. You have been doing the right thing so far with your whole video thing. If all you do moving forward is tell the truth, you can’t feel guilty. The dummy review watchers in that first 3,000 have to learn somehow to see the signs of a questionable gun. If they buy one, consider it a $1,700 tuition.

I’m going to guess that you recommended it more because you were curious about it than a mystery gun is a good entry gun into the pcp world. Otherwise you would have recommended a gun you already figured out and have him living happily ever after. Like you I also didn’t really like blasting a manufacturer publicly for something that could have just been an isolated incident. But my feelings have changed over the years. If you want to price your stuff with the big boys, it better match up. You have been doing the right thing so far with your whole video thing. If all you do moving forward is tell the truth, you can’t feel guilty. The dummy review watchers in that first 3,000 have to learn somehow to see the signs of a questionable gun. If they buy one, consider it a $1,700 tuition.
You know, I wasn't sure about you at first, but you seem to know what you're doing ;)

To be fair, I scrapped a sh1tload of work filming, editing, etc that was done for my 1st review where I DID totally blast the gun & manufacturer. I scrapped it because I gave Airmaks a chance to respond and they did, sending me that V2 reg. Oddly, that reg seemed to work decently at time of my second review (the published one), but now we're right back to creeping pressures and inconsistent velocities...

STILL - I will add that there is a possible chance that MAYBE I am doing something wrong. Perhaps something isn't sitting just right in that reg assembly. I think everything is installed and adjusted perfectly but I COULD be wrong. (I don't think I am). Maybe that threaded pin has started to unscrew from the piston? Maybe it just needs lube? Maybe a spec of debris is sitting on the valve seal? I guess it will take some correspondence from Airmaks (further than just "I've sent your data to our reg designer") to find out. Honestly it sounds like they just don't know. The fact remains the same that there are multiple people with this issue... This and the fact that the V2 regs are still not working points to this product not being ready for market.

So as we wait for a reply we will mess around with our $35 dollars in parts to double reg the thing. I think if we get super consistency and no creep with the dual regs at 150/125 then my cousin will be plenty happy, even with a goofy looking bottle setup. He is all about utility, and if it puts a slug in the same spot at the same velocity from 300 bar tank pressure all the way to 150, then I'm sure he will be a happy camper.

Reactions: Sc0-
Everything you wrote about the reg and questioning everything you do, did or are gonna do is the same thing I did. Then we start praying for the one ingredient that gives us the cure. I wish I could be of more help but I’m living in a cabin right now. Oh, the second time I took the reg out there was some debris around the seat. Used a magnifying glass. Got excited. Then had the carpet pulled from under me.

Was in my treestand and had an epiphany. If there are those among us that don’t have creeping problems, I would like to know their set points. If us power hungry Americans are having more issues, then I believe we are operating at the high end of what the reg is capable of. Because of the regs design, having it set at 130+ bar might not be doing it any favors. The fix could be a new washer stack or shim to tighten the operating range. The thing might function fine if you don’t go over 90b. Maybe this should be passed on to Airmaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.