Anyone try out the AirMaks Krait X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was very nice of you to hold off on the problem stricken review. Years ago I played a show with my band and our singer had a seriously off night. A reporter for the Los Angeles Times told us that he would do us the favor and not write a review of the show.
I’m seriously looking at the smallest Krait. If it doesn’t have any issues I think it would suit my uses perfectly. I also like the FX Maverick, and The RTI Prophet II. Anyway looking forward to your review.

Recently got to check out a new AirMaks Krait from Krale. The reg came set at about 105.

I've attached 2 snapshots of the velocities from 6-shot groups for about 20 kinds of pellets.
No accuracy data was taken. The gun was not cleaned or adjusted in any way before the pellets were shot over a chrony.

Some pellets were shot only few seconds apart, others about 10 seconds apart. No watching for regulator creep just velocities. Just wanted to know how it was set up right out of the box.

For a size comparison, here are some pictures of it alongside an Edgun Leshiy2 with 250mm barrel.

JP

View attachment 298790

View attachment 298791
Pretty impressive that that little thing can throw down the JSB Monsters at close to 700 fps. Hope you can follow up with an accuracy test.
Thanks for posting!

And speaking of Krale, it looks like they bumped up the price of the Kraits about $100 since they originally offered them. Wonder why? maybe because of a different upgraded regulator?

I misspoke: I just went back to the Krale site, they did another price increase: About $1500 for the L, which is about $200 more than their original price. With shipping and customs, if a guy wants one, maybe doing a pre-buy with Utah Airguns is the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: darylm
Pretty impressive that that little thing can throw down the JSB Monsters at close to 700 fps. Hope you can follow up with an accuracy test.
Thanks for posting!

And speaking of Krale, it looks like they bumped up the price of the Kraits about $100 since they originally offered them. Wonder why? maybe because of a different upgraded regulator?

I misspoke: I just went back to the Krale site, they did another price increase: About $1500 for the L, which is about $200 more than their original price. With shipping and customs, if a guy wants one, maybe doing a pre-buy with Utah Airguns is the way to go.

I prefer to support US based airgun suppliers, in large part because of possible problems with getting warranty/maintenance service if something ever breaks or needs fixing. That's not such a big deal for service on mainstream models where parts are easily available from multiple repair shops. But it's a potential problem for new models imported from a small or newer foreign manufacturer. That said, I've read some interesting comments from one US airgun shops that Krale could often under sell them on price including shipping. I'm not sure what a new AirMaks Krait would cost from a US shop right now and won't bother to check. Last week a new Krait (the short version) with one additional 22 magazine ($45) was shipped to the Midwest ($50 for shipping) for a total of $1,440. When UPS showed up about a week later they wanted an extra $64 for import duties which were raised a few years ago for expensive items.

Is the added value of getting a newly released item before everyone else, and possibly for less cost than waiting for a local preorder for the same item to be shipped, worth the future risk of possible problems with obtaining professional or warranty repair on it? Probably not for most normal people who just want their airguns to work, and not to challenge their technical repair skills or pocketbook. I had a preorder on a really innovative new 2021 Raven R18 vertical arm hunting crossbow from a major vendor for over a year before noticing one behind a counter at a Cabelas a couple of months ago which I bought on the spot. The vendor which had my preorder still didn't have any R18s in stock when I checked this morning. I'll still do business with them in the future, but I wanted that R18 and was tired of waiting so long on a preorder. Higher or lower cost didn't even enter into it by then. Many of you recognize the same impulse in yourselves sometimes, especially if you are feeling a bit age challenged as well. As I get older, the toys have been getting much better, but I have fewer years to wait around before I get a chance to use them.

JP

Last edited:
I prefer to support US based airgun suppliers, in large part because of possible problems with getting warranty/maintenance service if something ever breaks or needs fixing. That's not such a big deal for service on mainstream models where parts are easily available from multiple repair shops. But it's a potential problem for new models imported from a small or newer foreign manufacturer. That said, I've read some interesting comments from one US airgun shops that Krale could often under sell them on price including shipping. I'm not sure what a new AirMaks Krait would cost from a US shop right now and won't bother to check. Last week a new Krait (the short version) with one additional 22 magazine ($45) was shipped to the Midwest ($50 for shipping) for a total of $1,440. When UPS showed up about a week later they wanted an extra $64 for import duties which were raised a few years ago for expensive items.

Is the added value of getting a newly released item before everyone else, and possibly for less cost than waiting for a local preorder for the same item to be shipped, worth the future risk of possible problems with obtaining professional or warranty repair on it? Probably not for most normal people who just want their airguns to work, and not to challenge their technical repair skills or pocketbook. I had a preorder on a really innovative new 2021 Raven R18 vertical arm hunting crossbow from a major vendor for over a year before noticing one behind a counter at a Cabelas a couple of months ago which I bought on the spot. The vendor which had my preorder still didn't have any R18s in stock when I checked this morning. I'll still do business with them in the future, but I wanted that R18 and was tired of waiting so long on a preorder. Higher or lower cost didn't even enter into it by then. Many of you recognize the same impulse in yourselves sometimes, especially if you are feeling a bit age challenged as well. As I get older, the toys have been getting much better, but I have fewer years to wait around before I get a chance to use them.

JP
I have fewer years also and don’t want to spend them fixing things that shouldn’t be broken. Being first to have something means nothing if it doesn’t work.

This is a shame. I was likely going to buy one. But I don’t want to deal with any sketchy factory regs. Will probably go with the AGT Vulcan 3 instead……Thanks for all your time and effort, AirShootist! 👍
I shot it yesterday and did most the filming for my review. The reg seems good now. Keep in mind with AGT guns you have to completely take it apart to adjust the reg. You also do not get an operating pressure gauge - which kills the idea of an AGT gun for me. Shame, too, they are great performers.

Review is live. I gave it an 8/10. My review is pretty long-winded, I know, but I feel it contains a lot of useful information for anyone thinking about purchasing one. I included a lot of details about the V1 versus the V2 reg and how Airmaks handled the issue. Shooting at 50 and 100 yards.
Link below:
EDIT: The reg seemed to behave somewhat OK for this video. It tricked me. After this video the creeping started immediately. See my newer video for much more up to date info and lots of data.

Last edited:
Well there is probably a snowball fight going on right now in hell because I watched an airgun review. You left a lot on the table to be giving the gun a legit rating but it was nice to hear your thoughts on the out of the box gun. Nice to know it has a degassing screw. I was debating pulling the reg before I even shoot my gun when it gets here to clean it up. Your video confirmed that I will.

Thanks guys, I worked really hard on this and spent a combined 60+ hours total on everything (that's including the scrapped filming/editing from the V1 reg issues). Keep in mind I get nothing for doing any of this, I just do it to help others.

I think it's super cringe to ask for likes and subscribes.... but.... never mind you know what to do. ;)

Anyway I wanted to focus on mainly out of the box performance with minimal fiddling while using the slug weights most people would probably buy. Perhaps it could be made to be a little more consistent with a reg/hammer tune. I'll play around with it a little more before I return it to my cousin. I want it to be as good as possible for him, since it's his first air rifle. Either way, this rifle is built like a tank and hits hard af (55fpe). I think 80% (8/10) is a pretty proper rating based on it's good features (of which there are plenty) minus the bad (only a few). Overall it is a nice rifle, for sure.

I hope to see a V2 version with a standard fill nipple, check valve'd bottle, more consistent reg, machined buttstock (not plastic), etc. If that happens, I'm a buyer for sure.

Reactions: Koodaah and darylm
Great review, man………and I think you dissuaded me from the AGT V3. Because you’re right, no external adjustments and no manometer for the reg. If the Kraits coming from UA are all retrofitted with the updated reg I would strongly consider this rifle again……..appreciate you 👍
Thank you so much!

I mean, don't get me wrong, those AGTs are SWEET performers. There is a king out there named Jaylee that is shooting a V3 .30 like MOA at 200 yards and whacking coyotes out further than that. I kinda want one, but not knowing the operating pressure is a big deal as that simple tool can help you diagnose any issues you may be having with your reg (creep, recharge rate, etc). If AGT adds a reg gauge and redesigns their gun to be externally adjustable - I'm 100% in!

Overall I liked the Krait, thus the 8/10 from me. Really good design, for the most part. I think greasing up that reg piston oring and trying to get a good tune could help tighten up that velocity spread and accuracy. For hunting critters at 50 yards and in, though, it is more than fine. Probably way further than that, judging by my out-of-the-box 100 yard group. Here is some proof of it's ability to knock down bushy tails! This was at 40 yards: :cool:

1666662852807.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s a nice foxy. I commend you for giving all of us paid in full guys waiting for their guns a heads up about the crap reg. You saved a lot of temper tantrums from angry customers directed at some poor soul at UA. We have been enlightened. I already informed them to not bother shipping my gun unless it has a silver reg.

Thank you so much!

I mean, don't get me wrong, those AGTs are SWEET performers. There is a king out there named Jaylee that is shooting a V3 .30 like MOA at 200 yards and whacking coyotes out further than that. I kinda want one, but not knowing the operating pressure is a big deal as that simple tool can help you diagnose any issues you may be having with your reg (creep, recharge rate, etc). If AGT adds a reg gauge and redesigns their gun to be externally adjustable - I'm 100% in!

Overall I liked the Krait, thus the 8/10 from me. Really good design, for the most part. I think greasing up that reg piston oring and trying to get a good tune could help tighten up that velocity spread and accuracy. For hunting critters at 50 yards and in, though, it is more than fine. Probably way further than that, judging by my out-of-the-box 100 yard group. Here is some proof if it's ability to knock down bushy tails! This was at 40 yards: :cool:

View attachment 299977
Quick question: If you were a left handed shooter, would the mag interfere with a good cheek weld?

Reactions: AirShootist
Quick question: If you were a left handed shooter, would the mag interfere with a good cheek weld?
I'm mostly a righty but I shoot ambi (thanks 27 years of paintball!) depending on the situation and that magazine does not stick out far enough to cause any issue shooting lefty. In fact, it kind of creates a reference point on your face to get a repeatable cheek weld.

Reactions: Mr.H
That’s a nice foxy. I commend you for giving all of us paid in full guys waiting for their guns a heads up about the crap reg. You saved a lot of temper tantrums from angry customers directed at some poor soul at UA. We have been enlightened. I already informed them to not bother shipping my gun unless it has a silver reg.
Just in case - I am not sure if ALL the updated regs will be silver/SS. In fact, I am not even sure if ALL the "V1" regs have issues. Still, I would have done the same thing if I were you. However, instead of saying the "silver reg" I'd just say the "updated reg".

Kyle from AirBros Review SA (on YT) told me he did not have any issues with his "V1" reg. Now, he could be a paid sh!ll, I don't know, but he seems like a pretty honest guy so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Since Airmaks Arms has informed Utah Airguns, I am sure they'll know what you're talking about, either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.