• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Anyone tried the Winchester .177 Cal Pellets, 9.8 Grains, Round Nose???

The originals from China (yellow lettering) were reportedly good for the money. The new ones from Spain (white lettering) have not been reviewed favorably at all from what I’ve read, and my one purchase was of miserable quality. Never again.

It’s not like they simply moved the dies. The new designs are totally different. The new ones are about 7.5gr rather than 9.8gr for the originals.

I bought a tin of .177 "Winnies" at a Tractor Supply store and found that the pellets from that tin had rather consistent but small head sizes and didn't group very well from my HW95 at only 18 yards. Matter of fact, while the .177 Crosman Premier Hollow Points didn't group very tight at 18 yards from my HW95, the group was tighter than the "Winnie group"........

Here is an exceptional (for me and my breakbarrel) 50 yard 5 shot group using die "B" boxed Crosman Premiers and a more normal (for me) grouping shot from 10 yards to 50 yards using the same gun and pellet.........

I recently bought a few tins of 8.4 grain 4.52mm Air Arms domes and these are the 18 yard groups I got shooting "straight from the tin" and after sizing the pellets heads down to 4.50mm............

Anywhoo....from my HW95 the "Winnies" weren't accurate if compared to either the die lot marked and dated CPLs (die "b" dated Feb 3 2014) or the recent Air Arms domed I received recently.

In a moment of weakness, I bought a tin of .177 domes. There is no weight listed on the tin and I can't remember where I put my scale. The pellets look amazingly clean and shiny from the tin and seem to be really nice looking. No deformed skirts and they are clearly NOT a Gamo of any kind, as I a have samplers of the Gamo garbage I bought on a $2 closeout. I've only shot a few and they did group and the POI was roughly the same as 10g Crosman domes in a springer. I'll try to shoot some more when the snow lets up a bit.

I bought a bunch of these and a bunch of the Beeman labeled junk in the gold blue and black labeled tins just to have cheap pellets on hand for my Sig Sauer MPX CO2 semi auto. When my son and I pull this out we go through a 1000+ pellets in a couple hours. We spend more time loading the belts than we do shooting....

These Winchester's have gotten tested in other guns though. If you're shooting cans at 25-30y they'll work (but the cheap beemans would too). I just tested them in an FX .177 barrel. They actually grouped better than the JSB's I've tested in the same barrel. Still an inch plus at 30y. Not comparing pellets as much as I am trying to find something that this barrel will shoot well. Haven't found anything yet so my one mag full on Winchesters may have been fluke.

I would have had the urge to try those Winchester domes had I not come across this post.

I had very good results with the cheapest Beeman pellets specifically the black coated hollow points.

If you goal is to save money then I would recommend the Beemans made in China and I can say that

they shoot fine in the guns I tried them in. My P17 shoots ragged holes with these. Then again the P17s

are also made in China, wait that doesn't sound like a good analogy since Crosman and Benjamin guns

don't nessarily shoot Crosman and Benjamin ammo very well...

Now that didn't come out too good now did it?

CA