Anyone shooting .177 cal slugs?

I got a highly modified Hatsan Flashpup slug shooter. I bought it from a shooting buddy. i posted a thread on here a while ago in the hunting section. Here is a link.

flashpup 177.jpg

I got the JSB 10.03gr slugs to group today from my RTI 177 compact.. I spent most of the evening tuning on it. I was just about to give up and nailed it.. I ordered some NSA over the weekend but now I done wanna fool with the tune I have with the KO slugs.. (oh I'll try a few NSA slugs to see if they show promise) but I'm pretty excited that the JSB slugs shoot very well so far..

My 17 cal slugs make 177 fpe @50 yards, 121 fpe @100 yards and only drops 0.20" between the two. Ohhh wait that's my 17hmr. Anyway my point is the little 17 caliber is quite capable of killing Varmints. In fact this cartridge was specially designed for Varmint hunting. Contrary to popular belief bigger isn't always better. Energy doesn't kill things, tissue destruction does. I could kick a cat with more than 8fpe and it will only fly off my boot, screech and run away. A 8fpe 177 air gun will kill it quickly. IF YOU HIT IT IN THE RIGHT PLACE. It's all about penetration and shot placement.
Well kudos to you wll2506 for thinking outside the box.
Oh for you cat lovers out there. No cats were actually harmed in the making of this post. It was just an example.

Reactions: lutrev
Last week my 177 12.5gr NSA sample pack (200 pc) was delivered. The last few evenings I've been tuning them in. Playing with reg pressures and HS adjustments. Once I found the magic numbers the NSA 12.7gr slugs shot freaking great! I just ordered a few boxes of them and a box of NSA 15gr to try.. ( before I started my 177 slug venture I did polish the barrel concentrating on the choke and any tight spots the barrel had. When you push a slug or pellet down the barrel it's nice and smooth. Still has a choke but not as tight as it was. Still shoots pellets lights out ...and the NSA slugs lights out)

Edit.... I shot the 177 slugs single loading them.. the mag holds them fine if you push them all the way. But my rifle wont group using it.

Last edited:
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_