• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anyone make a good .25cal springer ?

It doesn't have to be high speed and hard cocking.

A .25 in an R9 or HW95L is about all anyone needs in a springer .25 in my most humble opinion.

The the first .25 I bought was a used Webley Eclipse Underlever, the second .25 I bought was a Theoben Eliminator, the third was a Daystate Huntsman (with the old internal rotary magazine and pull back hammer ring), the fourth and fifth are HW95L .25 and HW80 .25.

In the Eclipse Underlever by Webley (England in those days) the .25 was slower in velocity than all my other later ones, but that "slow" one convinced me the .25 was worth looking into in higher velocity. They have all been accurate and perform further than believed "ranges" for .25 and "low" velocity; but recently I saw a utube where a man using a 500 fps .25 to kill crows over 45 yards away--because of the predictability of a .25 pellet going slow or fast arriving on target with less wind and atmospheric interference than any pellet smaller; except the .20!

The .20 will do what you "expect" in wind or drift than either .177 or .22, and so will the .25.

I don't think the .20 and .25 do it alike though!

The .20 has the speed and accuracy, the .25 has the slam and accuracy; the .20 is aerodynamic and the .25 doesn't care what's blowing or from where--it WILL GROUP better than .177 or .22 in wind.

Vinny, Ya I've been wondering how much I can shoot this thing before my shoulder gets worn out. Might be easier hand pumping a cheap pcp instead. Will have to think this one over for sure. That BSA looks very nice & Fisher thanks for your comments also.

I would do anything to get you into a 95 level .25 to avoid PCP. If PCP is where you stay then the PCP has to be from England or Sweden or a country that has a reputation for it.

Trying to get an air rifle that does not have the quality to perform over time in all weather condition demands more attention than a Harrington and Richardson .22 revolver.

I mean you can get a sterling .25 auto for pennies compared to a .25 air rifle that shoots properly.

When you spend money to attain the standards you expect you will never be unhappy or dissatisfied. I spent around 1K for a Daystate Huntsman Regal .177 less than a year ago and that rifle is what I call a constant rifle. It will last as long as I live shooting .177 PCP accurately with a Mark IV Hill Hand Pump.

It's like scopes. I bought a Swarovski Z3 many years ago that now sits atop my NEW HW50S .20 shooting on target at 35 yards.

That Swar had been on a .458 Lott, .264 70 Featherweight .264 Winchester, .30-06 Rem BDL, and a NUMBER of my HW air rifles of ALL power until I SETTLED it on the mere HW50S .20 (my latest and last purchase).

On the other hand, you buy a scope that says it will guarantee a fix or replacement for CHEAP price you spend MORE trying to fix the scope problem while raising blood pressure which is not good.

Spend enough on a firearm or air arm or scope or mounts to RELIEVE yourself of certain DEBT and worry and frustration!

That is the one lesson I learned along the way of all transactions involving rifles and handguns of any type.

I GUARANTEE you your satisfaction by SPENDING MORE to get it right from the start without replacement or "repair."

I’m an HW springer guy and but had a couple of Hatsans, a 95 spring and 87 gas ram. I couldn’t fault them at all. They hit everything I aimed at using a bug buster scope, the cheap bundled scope or a red dot. I took out some really big iguanas out to 33 or so yards with one shot. I paid less than $200 for them, good value in my opinion. I’d stick with the spring version though only because I’ve read more stories of their rams going flat than their springs failing. AirForce International sells a rebranded Cometa 94 or 300 in .25 for $189 last I saw.

I’m an HW springer guy and but had a couple of Hatsans, a 95 spring and 87 gas ram. I couldn’t fault them at all. They hit everything I aimed at using a bug buster scope, the cheap bundled scope or a red dot. I took out some really big iguanas out to 33 or so yards with one shot. I paid less than $200 for them, good value in my opinion. I’d stick with the spring version though only because I’ve read more stories of their rams going flat than their springs failing. AirForce International sells a rebranded Cometa 94 or 300 in .25 for $189 last I saw.

Serdac,

The gas ram is different to shoot (I use an old Theoben Eliminator from 1999 in .25).

I've had this one the longest with the Beeman Falcon Rx .25 PCP.

The PCP is of course still working with a hand pump, and the gas ram is as if I just took it out of the box, but smoother in operation now.

I have heard Hatsan has satisfied many customers! Good report!

Kindly,

Serdac,

The gas ram is different to shoot (I use an old Theoben Eliminator from 1999 in .25).

The PCP is of course still working with a hand pump, and the gas ram is as if I just took it out of the box, but smoother in operation now.

Kindly,

That Eliminator and Beeman are great guns! For the price the Hatsan 95 in .25 is fine, just checked and Air Force International has the Model 94 (which I believe is a Cometa 400) for $189. Both are well under Woodyt’s $300 budget!

Serdac,

Kindly,

That Eliminator and Beeman are great guns! For the price the Hatsan 95 in .25 is fine, just checked and Air Force International has the Model 94 (which I believe is a Cometa 400) for $189. Both are well under Woodyt’s $300 budget!

I can't purchase any new air rifles by promise to my wife!

But believe it or not the "old" and the "new" air guns I have kept are perfect for me to spend the rest of my life with. I would like to purchase, as a final, another HW98 in .22 since the ones I have in .177, .20, and .25 are all supreme compared to any or most air rifles I've ever owned and trusted shot after shot and hundreds of rounds after hundreds of rounds in all of them.

Thanks guys all great info and I appreciate it. I'll be checking those mentioned out. That Air Force 94 looks like it just might fit the bill or the Hatsan too. I know its not a pcp for the power but like some have said springers are reliable for sure. good stuff here thanks again

Well I have a 94 coming , hope I like it the price is right. I also for my next one someday have the HW95 .22 on the radar. 

I was thinking about getting a pcp entry like a Gauntlet, but don't want to hand pump and really don't want a compressor to deal with or scuba tank . If I did guess I would go for a compressor. But now for the little shooting I would do with a .25 maybe I should consider a springer. Is there any good ones for around 300 ? Thanks

There are allot of good air rifles both springers and gas piston powered on the market for $250.00 and under, however were I you I'd do a little more research on difference between .22 cal. and .25 cal. air guns, as far as accuracy and performance goes there's not allot of difference between the two, what ever advantage you gain in pellet weight in FPE that is gained in the .25 cal, is lost because of the slower velocities at which they shoot, the .22 cal. gives more velocity and is flatter shooting which gives better accuracy.

The problem is that most all air rifles whether springer or gas piston use the same power plant for all of their air rifles from .177 thru .25 cal. so if it takes more power to drive a .25 than it does a .22, it's lost on the .25 cal., another consideration is if you get a magnum velocity it's going to have a much higher cocking force which is pretty much ok if all you're doing is hunting, but if you're plinking or target shooting you're going to have to pack a couple of cans of Popeye Spinach to finish the day .

Also before you decide try shopping for .25 cal. pellets in bullet weights under 28 gr. weight made for break barrel air rifles, the pickings are slim, most are out of stock, and thoses that aren't are expensive compared to .22 cal. pellets.

The .25 cal. in a non PCP rifle will give you a bit more range but won't give you minute of squirrel accuracy, just something to think about.