• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anyone knows the best temperature for a co2 rifle to work properly?

I wanted to give you an example. While some of my guns will shoot OK at 60°F, I have one which is a MP 40 fully automatic. It’s a replica of the German MP 40 from World War II. But it will shoot semi automatic also. Well I sighted it in on a 80° day and the following year I went out and shot it at 60° and the shots were 4 inches low at 20 yards.I have another one that doesn’t like anything below 70° also.Now some of my CO2 guns will shoot OK if it’s 60° though. It varies a little bit from gun to gun. 

I have been shooting my 18" barreled C02 Talon SS exclusively for over a month now in some very cold weather ....but I have kept the tank in the 65 degree range at its coldest. In the 68 degree range I shoot CPHP's at ~625 fps and JSB Jumbo Heavies in the 575fps range. When the tank is in the 74+ range the velocity increases about 50-70 fps.

I try to keep that Co2 tank warm and often use a hand warmer between my hand and the tank when I'm just holding the gun.

I'm going to say that you want at least 65 degrees, bare minimum ----- and 72+ degrees is much better. Co2 and cold weather are not friends for sure !!

Below is a pic of the gun with a newly installed 12oz Co2 tank on her:

Talon%2012os%20Tank%202%20sm.png
[/url][/IMG]

wll2506

It's pretty clear from the chart below that under 90 degrees you start to lose pressure at a rate of about 100psi per 10 degrees.

co2pv.1611348033.gif

What you really need to pay attention to is gasification pressure chart in the top left corner. This is the pressure CO2 will gasify at a certain temperature. This is important as CO2 is in liquid form in our airguns and must turn to gas. As CO2 gasifies it gives off energy and gets colder - thus the "cooldown" effect if you shoot too fast. Even if it is 80 degree out. If you've shot too fast and your CO2 cartridge is at say 50 degrees you can expect poorer performance. 

What you really need to pay attention to is gasification pressure chart in the top left corner. This is the pressure CO2 will gasify at a certain temperature. This is important as CO2 is in liquid form in our airguns and must turn to gas. As CO2 gasifies it gives off energy and gets colder - thus the "cooldown" effect if you shoot too fast. Even if it is 80 degree out. If you've shot too fast and your CO2 cartridge is at say 50 degrees you can expect poorer performance.

Yes, Co2 can be great to use, but you must know the perimeters of it ... it is NOT like HPA, it is a different animal.

wll