Anyone know what Im doing wrong, Inline filter

I have this inline air filter leaking. Is there more than one gasket for them? Its leaking from this connection.
Its for a Benjamin Recharge.
Any help, much appreciated.
Thanl you.

20220827_123336.jpg

If you feel metal to metal before a lot of torture it's probably the wrong size. You could try 2 if you're desperate but that doesn't usually turn out good. Measure the orginal and see if you can find one slightly fatter. Screw it together without an o ring and see if there is any gap between to 2 parts. Sorry I see you did that....a bit fatter ring is your next step short of asking for a new filter.

Reactions: BabySherman
The leak is probably because the o-ring you have is the green hi-nitrile type. The green o-rings are harder than the black ones. The green ones are more scuff resistant and can tolerate higher temperatures than the black ones I think too. For sealing air, you normally would use the black ones because they are softer and squish into gaps to seal the air. All of the air-sealing o-rings on my fx maverick are the black ones. Technically, I think you can find black ones that are also as hard as the green ones, but I've never seen a green one that was not the extra hard kind. Bottom line is that you don't want the hard o-ring for making that seal. I think you want buna 70 hardness (black ones generally), not buna 90 which you appear to have.
grungy

Last edited by a moderator:
The leak is probably because the o-ring you have is the green hi-nitrile type. The green o-rings are harder than the black ones. The green ones are more scuff resistant and can tolerate higher temperatures than the black ones I think too. For sealing air, you normally would use the black ones because they are softer and squish into gaps to seal the air. All of the air-sealing o-rings on my fx maverick are the black ones. Technically, I think you can find black ones that are also as hard as the green ones, but I've never seen a green one that was not the extra hard kind. Bottom line is that you don't want the hard o-ring for making that seal. I think you want buna 70 hardness (black ones generally), not buna 90 which you appear to have.
grungy
Ok. Thanks. I replaced the oring that was also green and that size, that came with the unit. I will try the black ones.

Ok. Thanks. I replaced the oring that was also green and that size, that came with the unit. I will try the black ones.
Hey BabySherman, I just now remembered having the same situation with one of those filters many months ago. The problem was simple. The quick disconnect fitting on one end or the other was simply not screwed in tight enough. Bleed the line and take the filter off and find the right sized wrench to see if either of the quick disconnect fittings seems obviously loose. If so, just snug the loose one(s) up a bit and re-test for a leak. No need to gorrilla crank these fittings on. I hope this is all there is to the leak. It was for me.
grungy

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven’t used it in awhile and it worked before there’s a good chance that o ring is crumbly toast or it’s taken a shape all it’s own that’s not about sealing.

Replace with new, and as CA Varminter said, light coat of grease or a thicker viscosity oil like 100 % silicone lube for treadmills. That stuff is as thick as the oil that Huma sends in the syringes of their regulator rebuild kits. If I buy silicone in oil form, that’s the only type I buy anymore, the stuff for under treadmill mats

Seems like manufacturers of inline filtration for compressor systems like using the green o rings. On the gold filter tower on the Hatsan lightning I used to own(and miss, lol) the o ring was also a green color.

I’m curious, on SCBA tanks, when the valve is unthreaded, what type of o ring is used from the factory on those? Buna DURO 70?