HW/Weihrauch Anyone know of a high output tune for HW95/R9 (18-20 FPE)

Not saying it's not possible but that platform is not designed for that kind of power.
Small 26mm piston and relatively short stroke would make it a very harsh shot cycle!
Not to mention it would require perfection in the compression chamber/tube.
A R1 or HW80 with a carbine barrel would be a much better choice if looking for that kind of power! 30mm piston has much more swept volume for making more power without the harshness.

Not saying it's not possible but that platform is not designed for that kind of power.
Small 26mm piston and relatively short stroke would make it a very harsh shot cycle!
Not to mention it would require perfection in the compression chamber/tube.
A R1 or HW80 with a carbine barrel would be a much better choice if looking for that kind of power! 30mm piston has much more swept volume for making more power without the harshness.
Well put. 👍 14 to 15 ft lbs is the sweet spot for that gun . It’s NOT A MINI R1/HW80 as many try and compare. Totally differing approaches to design...177 nor .20 is never going to get near there... I would shake the man’s hand who can take a stock R9 and get 795 with a 14.3 @ 20 ft lbs.

26 mm and 85 mm stroke is not enough swept volume.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maizen
That's not happening without some exotic machine work. You might get 18 in 22 cal with some deliberate dieseling. In 22 that platform is good for 16 to 17 fpe. I prefer them around 16.

18-20 fpe is possible with an HW80/R1 in 22 cal but they're still pretty harsh as you close in on 20 fpe. It's possible in 20 cal as well but it's harsher at the same power levels as 22.

If you want manageable accurate big power from a springer, a Diana side lever might be in order.

Reactions: Maizen and SteveV
I have a HW77 with a Vortek PG4 kit with the bottom of the spring cranked to the top of the white plug. With 10.65 H&N Baracuda Match I am right at 18 fpe. The rifle is a little jumpy but manageable. I have a heavy custom stock that helps dampen the jumpiness.
That’s 875 with a 10.65 pellet.. = 18.11 ft lbs. …. 🤔

My .22 Beeman R9(HW95) has a PG4 kit in it, using H&N FTT 14.66gr gets a velocity of 720 for 16.8 FPE. In .177 it was making 15.1 at velocity of 899 with FTT 8.64gr. It took it a while to settle down, and I have sometimes considered reducing the power on it. If I do everything perfectly it can get one hole groups at 10 meters, but it can be very temperamental at this power level. I think everyone would love to have a springer in the weight range of a Beeman R7 (HW30) that could do 18 FPE, and not be pellet picky or hold sensitive, but that is just the dream, not the reality of physics....

I have a HW77 with a Vortek PG4 kit with the bottom of the spring cranked to the top of the white plug. With 10.65 H&N Baracuda Match I am right at 18 fpe. The rifle is a little jumpy but manageable. I have a heavy custom stock that helps dampen the jumpiness.
Wow! That's absolutely honking for that platform. Especially in 177. You must have a really good one there. One really nice thing about the 77/97 platforms is the sliding compression tube is far less prone to abnormalities than fixed comp tubes of break barrels. There's something to be said about a perfectly straight and round comp tube.

My HW80 is one of the few springers I have that really NEEDS a full blown artillery hold by the books. These were JSB 10.3s. H&N 10.65 pellets are a good 75fps slower

Screenshot_20240210-115414_FX Radar.jpg

My HW80 is one of the few springers I have that really NEEDS a full blown artillery hold by the books. These were JSB 10.3s. H&N 10.65 pellets are a good 75fps slower

View attachment 434081
That's a really solid shooting 177 80 Jon. How's it with 8.44s? It might make 19 fpe. It certainly explains the need for an artillery hold. That's about the same power as 22 R1 sits at. I think 17.5 was the most I got out of it in 177. It was shooting 19 in 20 caliber and close to 20 in 22 but it was evil at those power levels. Hard to cock, hard to shoot accurately and busted an Airmax. I backed it off a little to calm it down. Still my least favorite rifle.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Want an 18-20fpe magnum springer and willing to work on it, there are plenty out there from Hatsan, Gamo, Crosman and I think the Cometa 400 series rifles now available for sale in the US at Keystone will easily make that power and can be polished up and tweaked some to make them better shooters.
Comparable to anything HW/Beeman? Most definitely not but a little work can turn them into good shooters.

That's a really solid shooting 177 80 Jon. How's it with 8.44s? It might make 19 fpe. It certainly explains the need for an artillery hold. That's about the same power as 22 R1 sits at. I think 17.5 was the most I got out of it in 177. It was shooting 19 in 20 caliber and close to 20 in 22 but it was evil at those power levels. Hard to cock, hard to shoot accurately and busted an Airmax. I backed it off a little to calm it down. Still my least favorite rifle.
I don’t know that I've ever attempted to shoot 8.44s from it. I imagine they have to be nearing or maybe even a hair over 1000fps. I'll group and chrono them next time I break it out. Its certainly not an every day shooter for me though. It's one of those "let's see if I remember how to handle this beast" sort of guns 😆

Reactions: fishing43