Anyone hunt their backyard?

I have shot coyotes , chipmunks and squirrels off my deck , so Why do I do it ? because I can , I love to shoot and Titus my dog and me eat the game yes even coyotes and , it is perfectly legal here but my real reason is I only do this when I am too sick to venture out some days , so I do it cause I can , and Titus agrees as well ,LOU

1583020405_9234002015e5af975359148.15171405_Untitled.jpg

My point was that some people are misinformed and will mistakenly call shooting critters from inside their house hunting. I did not demean or attack the op for doing so. If you think shooting from inside your house without having to leave it is hunting then you are an ignorant person. That is not an attack but a word that aptly describes this situation. Bill

So it could be legal if troy (who some think is a troll) lives in the Southern part of the state. It does not matter to me, because I am not a game warden. I did Google the definition of hunting, and just as I figured, there are a number of answers, but basically it is the pursuit of animals for food, sport or profit. The bottom line is given the opportunity, we are going to try and kill an animal for any of a number of reasons I would add property damage control, to prevent the spread of disease, to protect another species or as some truthfully stated because they want to and they can.

My point was that some people are misinformed and will mistakenly call shooting critters from inside their house hunting. I did not demean or attack the op for doing so. If you think shooting from inside your house without having to leave it is hunting then you are an ignorant person. That is not an attack but a word that aptly describes this situation. Bill

I agree. And I suspect Troy is trolling us. 

The OP profile says he is in GA...I'm too lazy to research GA rules.. Haha..

Here is what is written in our ( SC) DNR Rules and Regulations: Hunting is defined as trying to find, seek, obtain, pursue, or diligently search for game...

I couldn't find anything about hunting from a house, other than, "It is unlawful to hunt deer with a firearm within three hundred yards of a residence when less than ten feet above the ground without permission of the owner and occupant."

I watch YouTube vidoes in my box stand while I wait for deer to step into the food plot. We can hunt over bait in SC..

If Mr TroyBuck is in violation of "any" law, who will write the "ticket?" Local police or GA DNR? ( Fish and Game to you CA boys).

Bill I think we are beating a dead horse so to speak. Some guys buy their hunting clothes at Cabelas and some guys buy their "hunting" clothes in the pj and bedroom slippers dept at Walmart. Some guys carry a gps to find their hunting spot in the dark and some guys just flip on the bedroom light switch to find their favorite hunting spot. Some guys consider the hunt a personal challenge between them and quarry and some guys want to kill as many as possible for braggin rights. It doesn't matter what each individual considers hunting personally the image we project is important. When we see a pic of a hunter kneeling over a dead giraffe on FB and the OP says share if you think all sport hunting should be banned we as hunters take a blow. Now I researched this type of killing and found that the elephants and giraffes in these photos actually benefit the local tribes. The individual pays an insane amount of money to shoot an animal that needs to be culled from the herd and the money is used to help the local people. So while it is legal and moral it is not hunting in my opinion and probably not yours. It seems some guys consider pesting the same as hunting. I don't, but that is just me. While I eat the game I shoot I actually hunt for sport so why shoot a deer over bait out of my bedroom window. What is the challenge. I know you get my point and understand what I am trying to convey as I do you. But whether the OP trolled us, and I think he did, some light has been shed on the topic of what different members consider hunting.

It seems to be a human condition to criticize those who do things differently than ourselves, and rationalize our own choices as if that is the only correct way to do it. Sure, we can debate whether this method is "sporting" or not. We can debate whether it is legal or not, but we should at least do some basic research first. Every single one of us who call ourselves hunters stack the deck in our favor to some degree or another. We wear camo. We sit still. We check the wind direction. We use attractants such as food, mineral blocks, and scent. We employ weapons that greatly extend our reach beyond what our hands can do on their own. What is fair about that? What is sporting about slamming a chunk of lead through the vital organs of a living animal? Very few of us actually need to hunt to feed ourselves or our families. Maybe Troy didn't do it the way some of us would have. But, other than whether it is legal or not, what concern of it is ours? He didn't even describe what he did as "hunting." As a hunter, I hold myself to certain standards based on my perception of right and wrong, as well as an honest assessment of my abilities as a shooter. As long as what he does is legal, then I think I will leave Troy to decide for himself how, where, when and why to harvest a deer. Like cmatera said, every situation is not the same as yours. 

James

Great post, Iceman! Well put.