• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anyone Hunt Groundhogs?

I have a new hunting permission where the owner wants me to eliminate the groundhogs from his property. I've gotten them before but never hunted them specifically. Wanted to see if anyone has any tips, I would like to be pretty successful because I want to ask permission for further hunting later in the year.

I guess my main question is, if you see one run down their hole I've seen guys set up on that hole and wait for a head to pop back up. How long do they stay down there in general and is there any way to bait them out a little faster? I don't have a problem waiting, but I don't want to be sitting in some field for hours on end staring through a scope.

They always have more than one exit from their dens, and they can often be surprisingly far apart. Best bet is to scout out the area and mark each potential hole so you can pick a good spot to camp out and maximize your "targets of opportunity." Also, watch the holes through your scope. Usually, when one is close to the hole's entrance, you'll see flies buzzing around the entrance. Keep watching, and you'll probably see one poke it's head out. Around my way, they typically come out in the cooler parts of the day: early morning (around sunrise) and late afternoon/early evening to feed. They will also often make an appearance right after a rain shower. As far as bait goes, I've tried numerous things and had zero success. When they run to their hole because of seeing you (once they disappear) try to move to another spot to wait them out. They aren't as dumb as they look, and they will be looking for you in the last place they saw you when they re-emerge. A spot in the shade will make it harder for them to see you when they come back. Lastly, sometimes when they reach their hole, they'll pause for a moment right at the entrance. If you're quick, you can sometimes take the bugger right there while he poses for you, just make it a good head shot. Best of luck and good hunting!

Groundhogs are lazy vegetarians. Once you find their food source( hay field, soybeans, ect) and there holes, the rest is simple. They normally feed morning and evening. I find evenings the most productive. You can setup on the feeding grounds or holes. If they run to a hole, they usually will peek back out. Sometimes whistling can bring em back out for a look. Hence the nickname "whistlepig"!! Whistling will also make them stand up and look. This can help for longer shots as you have a taller target than one down on all fours feeding. If you run one down a hole, you will probably see it within minutes if it is coming back out. If this happens towards the end of morning or evening feeding, they might not come back out till its time to eat again.