• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anyone here use a "quiet box"?

I'm absolutely going to try this, but it never hurts to draw on the experiences of others:

Screenshot_20230301_211645_Chrome.jpg

I.have used one for years. I made it out of a Christmas tree box, added every spare pillow I could find in the house, then wrapped it in gorilla tape. It works great and Scopes are definitely not a problem.View attachment 336714
How big are your cutouts on the front and back? Would you say it's more effective than a large airgun silencer, or is it even comparable?

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
It is about the same sound reduction as a Donnyfl Koi, if you are still using a lcd, the sound level is very low using it with the sound box. My AF Texan 257 lss makes only a hissing noise in the soundbox.

I hve exermented with different sized slots in the end of my Sound box over the years, making the slots bigger to avoid projectile from striking the far end. As a result I have gone too far on the slots and will in the next few days make them smaller.

I have the sound box mounted on a base that matches my shooting table in height these days and my duct seal trap elevated to the point that I only need enough clearance for the projectile to exit and my foreend and scope to have clearane enough to see the scope reticle junction and below.

Fortunately rebuilding my oversized slots involves simply cutting some cardboard and putting it on with duct tape.

It is bulky, and even if Donnyfl made. Muzzle adapter for it ;), it would droop, seriously though, it is also a legal option in any jurisdiction.

RC

Reactions: beerthief
IThat box is roughly 4x1.5x1.5’, which is about as big as I would want it.

My wife buys a tree every year and sends last years tree to the Philippines to her family. Artificial Chrismas trees there are pathetic and resemble brooms more than trees. The family loves our selection of fake trees. Problem that came up was the boxes we ship in were too short, bent the tree trunk and gave it a obvious list. I am prohibited from using current artificial Christmas tree boxes these days.

I put my sound proofing on the outside, looking back, I would have placed it inside then used 1/4 inch wire screen to keep the sound proofing in place.

I got the idea out of a gun magazine decades ago, a shooter made a 12’ 2x4 frame to hold old tires which he shot through.

RC

Many years ago I was tasked with fabricating a straight through moderator for some kind of machine for a local company. If you are familiar with THRUSH mufflers for muscle cars, that’s what was copied but much larger.
It was about 2’ in diameter and 4’ long with a 6” ID straight through. No baffling. The 6” diameter within the moderator was expanded metal rolled to 6” diameter by 4’ long.
The sound absorbing/deadening material was regular pink fiberglass insulation. It was incredibly effective.
I imagine a square box design could easily use some batts of egg carton foam, but would be a bit more expensive than pink insulation.

C538C5BC-FB6F-4033-A362-EF69AC5B46C0.jpeg

Reactions: Billinoregon
I built a Box 1 foot SQ. and 4 feet long out of ceiling tiles and it worked some , not so much down range but standing next to it.
i am finding that the same design but with a single baffel 1/2 way down makes a huge difference . the problem with that is convient aiming . the window is 4x4 inches , to small for anything but paper target .
I am designing this for the PB range .

Last edited:
That was kinda my thinking, BT.
Speaking of quiet boxes, the gunwriter Rick Jamison bought a farm near Springfield, Oregon, some time back, and because he had rifles and handloads to test, he rigged a quiet box of scrap tires stuffed with rags, strung together and suspended over his shooting bench just inside the barn. Plenty of window to shoot through a tire. As far as I know, it worked well and kept the neighbors happy.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1