Anyone have Falcon Optics experience?

For Christmas The misses got me a Benjamin Marauder F/T in 22. I need a scope to go along with it and saw PA had the Falcon 3-18 x 50 FFP scope in stock. I originally planned on getting the Athlon Argos 6-24 but they were out of stock and are out of stock til the end of January. I personally don’t have much experience with the Falcon scope brand. Can somebody chime in and tell me their experience with this scope? I looked up reviews on YouTube and there isn’t much besides Joe Cyclops review on this particular scope. Which was a good over view of the scope but I’m looking for something a little more in depth (like - dislikes) I currently have an Optisan EVX 4-16 FFP on my Wildcat and an Aztec Emerald 5.5 - 25 FFP on my Crown. If someone has owned one or the other and can give a comparison, i would truly appreciate it. 

luisberry13,

I've been using this scope since about half a year.

I selected this one above all others — after comparing the specs of about 40+ scopes between 300 and $500, that had a hold-off reticle (hash lines or dots) and exposed turrets.

🔶 My reasoning:

(1) For hunting the bottom end of the magnification is very important — a 6x magnification makes it hard to acquire your quarry for a quick shot if it pops up close-by.

4x is already much better. 3x is really quick — it gives you twice the field of view than a 6x.

(2) However, often 3x scopes only go up to 12x. The Falcon S18i goes up to 18x top end mangnification = for shooting out to 100y I wanted at least 16x, and 18x is better.

(3) To me having an FFP instead of a SFP is so much more convenient — I can memorize just one set of hold-offs, that is valid at any magnification.

(4) I'm mostly a turret dialer, and I like to shoot long ranges and heavy slugs. Therefore, I appreciate that the turrets dial all of 10 mils (c. 33moa) — in just one revolution!  (better than only 5 mils, or an uneven 6 mils).

And if I go beyond that, there is a turret revolution counter (markings to show me that I'm already one or more full turns up on the turret) (this is a rare feature to find in this price class).

The clicks are very crisp and audible = good quality.

(5) I do not range using the parallax focus (a la field target), instead I use a range finder, much more precise, esp. beyond 40 yards. Therefore, I want to adjust the parallax with as little turning as possible — and the Falcon delivers that.

(6) For long range shooting and heavy slugs I need a lot of elevation adjustment range as I dial my shots. The Falcon offers 90 moa elevation adjustment range (only the SWFA beats this in this price class, 120 moa). Mine actually dials 105 moa total.

(7) When I do hold off by a lot of mils, I do get confused by the many lines, and have to start counting: "1mil, 2mil, 3mil, 4mil, 4.8mil — OK!"

But the Falcon S18i has numbers in the reticle to make this much quicker (2, 4, 6, ...)

(8) Has IR, with a quick dial:

On Level #1 — Off — On Level #2 — Off — On #3 — Off — On $4 — Off etc. etc.

(9) At 31.1oz this is not a light scope, but it's much easier to save weight on a rifle without loosing quality, than to save weight on a scope and still get good glass and full features. My bullpup only weighs 6 lbs, so no sweat.

(10) The turrets have little holes in them, where one can store pellets, I guess.

Or I can 3D-print turret bonnets that can be affixed to the turret easily using those holes. For each pellet or power combination, I'd have a turret bonnet. When I switch pellets, I just swap the turret bonnet for one with the adjusted values on the turret tape.

==============================================================

As I said, there is no scope that has all those features, at that price.

As close runner ups I had:

SWFA 3-15x42

(BUT: no IR | uneven 6mil per turret revolution | small eye box due to the small objective lens of 42mm | ugly turrets | very tough and repeatable turret dialing — however $150 to $250 more expensive)

Discovery HD/34mm 3-18x50 SFIR FFP  (No. 170108)

(BUT: Only 3 year warranty | 34mm tube, i.e., fewer choices on rings | uneven 6 mil per turret revolution | nice wide field of view, even for a 3x)

Have fun shopping. I'd buy the Falcon S18i again, immediately. 😊

Matthias

Honestly I think people tend to under spend in their scope purchases!

For example they buy a $2000 air rifle and put a $300 or less scope on it. Hey, I have been guilty of this and at times that was all I could afford. But when I did upgrade into a better scope it was worth every penny more. Well what if we spent a wopping $250 more to get into a scope that competes very well with $1500 scopes??!! 

My example is with the FFP Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44. It got me by but some controls were hard to turn and the eyebox wasn't that great. The eyebox is basically a way to describe how difficult it is, or how easy it is, to align your eye in the sight picture view of the scope. I like this scope but it's only okay, and if it didn't have a totally awesome reticle I wouldn't have one! Retail I think is $344 but street price is in the $275-$300 range. Keep in mind I am a picky scope guy!

Then for a MAP price of $589 the Midas TAC 4-16x44 is a WAY WAY better scope! It can be had for less. Most everything about it is so much nicer! Well except I prefer the reticle in the Talos BTR but like I said, I'm picky. Heck, just having the zero stop is a biggy to me. Believe me, there are a ton of other scopes in this price range that are disappointing for various reasons!