Anyone have a .20 calibre air rifle?

Anybody here have a .20 air rifle? What do you guys think of your .20 compared to your other air rifles.
Again I'm limited to sub 12ft/lb limit.
I'm thinking to exchange my 177 hw77k for a .20 hw97k but the problem is there's only 5 choices of .20 pellets in every store online that I checked in uk.

I only ever plan on having 2 air rifles so if I do get .20 hw97k then the hw77k has to go.

Last edited:
Thankfully, I don't have any such 12ft/lb limit, but I do have a .20 and it is a great in-between for .177 and .22.

If I did have to operate under the 12ft/lb limit, I would choose the .20 without question. At least for small game hunting/pesting. I'm surprised more people don't. Perhaps it is the issue of pellet availability. It really is quite limited in .20. But...if people started shooting more of them, the pellet manufacturers would likely follow suit and offer more variety and better pricing. Almost like a chicken/egg situation, I guess.

I'm not a fan of the .20 for ammo availability/options reasons.

But I'd rather have a .20 vs a .22 in Weihrauch rifles because I've found their .22 barrels to be anywhere from useless to just okay. I've never had a .22 HW that didn't have an oversized bore and accuracy issues.

The couple of .20 cal Weihrauchs I've had were good shooters. Still have an R1 (HW80) that shoots well.

My first choice, particularly for 12ft/lbs and under, is always .177

Warning graphic content!
IMG_20140409_104232_266_zpsxw1lsol4.jpgAC9aG5QuefF6I80ShH_YsK7718YxioKYJ5DKUlG4n8N1lJ1tyVN0ULI6p4suoC6LjJajRWKm6bkSBtH4s-XKyB-0AzlZaR...jpgHw97k blue laminate and a Hw80 both .20 caliber.

Reactions: djna
I have 10 rifles in .20. Ammo? Mine are all break barrels so I can't speak for the underlevers but from reading what owners of the 97 have to say, they love theirs and will happily tell you how much they do.
Also get tired of hearing "limited choices in pellets". Yep, there is, but so what. Why do you need to have 10, 12, 15 or more choices?? You only have to test 4 kinds, those 4 kinds are the cream of the crop and still around because they are and at least 2 of those 4 and quite probably 3 will shoot very well in whatever rifle you buy, just like they do in my 10.
Want a .20, by all means get yourself one, start shooting and have fun.

I have 10 rifles in .20. Ammo? Mine are all break barrels so I can't speak for the underlevers but from reading what owners of the 97 have to say, they love theirs and will happily tell you how much they do.
Also get tired of hearing "limited choices in pellets". Yep, there is, but so what. Why do you need to have 10, 12, 15 or more choices?? You only have to test 4 kinds, those 4 kinds are the cream of the crop and still around because they are and at least 2 of those 4 and quite probably 3 will shoot very well in whatever rifle you buy, just like they do in my 10.
Want a .20, by all means get yourself one, start shooting and have fun.
Thered only 5 choices of .20 pellets on any website I search in uk.

A couple myself a Hw97 an a RWS 34. Looking to adding a pre-charge soon. I had the very first conversation with Josph at JSB about a .20 cal pellet. and even imported the first grey lable 20's. But before that the we people in the .20 loop had good luck with Beeman Ram Jet= H&N Silhouette, the Beeman Field Target Special = H&N Field Target Trophy and the Beeman/H&N Kodiaks.

tim

Actually, .177, .20 or .22 will all work well in a 12 fpe rifle. .22 will have a bit of a loopy trajectory and will be best under 40 yards. .177 will shoot flatter, but they also tend to shed velocity quicker and get blown around by wind more. .20 is somewhere in between the other two.

You could even go with .25 at 30 yards or less.

Reactions: djna
Hello member sherz
1000002250.jpg
! I see your from London UK. You are in a unique position living where you do....Yes .20 caliber airguns are very poplar with AGN members, myself included, I have a .20 Huntsman and an HW97 .20 with a blue laminate stock also a Theoben Eliminator in .20...love 'em all and always had good luck with H&N 11.42 and JSB 13.73 pellets so no problem there. All that said, as a Theoben collector and advocate TWO Theobens have always eluded me...to this day...being an SLR 88 sporter "AND" a .20 caliber Evolution, Sirocco, or Fenman model...Elinimators and Crusaders in .20 cal are a dime a dozen here in the US comparatively....I honestly don't know ANYONE who has ANY of those Theoben models, except a couple of '88s, even the "ALPHA" collectors on AGN. IF I were you I would click out of here NOW and go to "Guntrader UK and buy BOTH of these Theoben .20s the Sirocco and Fenman....Those are IMPOSSIABLE to fine here....you will be the envy of the springer community here on AGN...OR put 'em in a box and get 'em to me and if you think about it put an SLR 88
1000002251.jpg
in the box too...Not a joke...those guns are HIGHLY HIGHLY prized...I've been looking for all of them for years...and how to get them across the pond...HW97s in .20 are great guns but compared to a Theoben Sirocco in .20 ain't no comparison...

The limited choice of ammo isn’t a problem. Just means less fiddling around testing. When I got my 97k there were only 6 choices available in US. It was pretty obvious which pellet it liked and it shoots great. I think I am running 14-15 ft lbs with JSB 13.73. No need for twenty different pellet choices. Very tight groups at 30 yards and deadly on squirrels. I am very satisfied with mine, and like the extra pellet frontal area of the 20 over the 22, and the flatter trajectory of the 20 over the 22.

My vote would be to go for the 20.

I have two 20 cal Weihrauchs. HW98 and a R9. I also have a HW97 in 177. I have a few others most in 177. I like the 20 cals but if you're limited to 12 FPE I would stay with 177. At 12 FPE 20 cal is too loopy for me. Even my 177 HW97 runs around 14 fpe. Both of my 20s run just under 16 FPE. If you target shoot fixed distances the loopy doesn't matter. If you hunt variable distances loopy complicates things. The little extra energy retention doesn't matter if you're off target. Also 177 is far easier and cheaper to feed. And no less accurate.