Anyone feel weird taking airguns to public gun ranges?

Not in the least. The Crown draws attention, So did the Airwolf for that matter. We now have two members additional who are owners of entry level AG's! My best story..........A loud mouth was trying to teach his teenage granddaughter how to shoot with a Ruger 10-22, It was embarrassing hearing him raise his voice at her, I was just left of them. He asked me politely what I was shooting and I answered a 25 FX Crown. He smiled and asked if I wanted to try a little competition at 50 yards. Sure Lets do it I said. So he started to put those 2" round splatterburst bull on the butcher paper. I said lets try something more challenging huh? I got out my .25" red dots and said "how bout these? We both get 4 dots 5 per dot and we will have the members declare the winner sound good?" So away we went! He literally quit after 2 dots.So I asked why don't you try this gun or at least let your granddaughter shoot it. I was surprised, but he agreed. He was amazed at the quality of the gun and he shot it well. So GD stepped in and he started in again. So I asked him to let me work with her a bit please. She was awesome! She had no bad habits yet and settled right in on those little dots!

Lemon-aid was made from an old sourpuss!! LOL

2D1C,

I absolutely LOVE your story. I have plenty of room here at home for my range, and I've never even considered going to the public range to shoot my airguns. But all these positive experiences expressed here, and yours particularly, has me thinking maybe I'm missing out on a great load of fun. I more than applaud you, 2D1C. Plus one for you!!!

Just for an example of how things can change. I was shooting my Wildcat at 125 yards in a unused soybean field last winter and the young girl who owns a trailer on the other side of the road called the police on me. Police arrive and they tell me that the lady across the street placed a complaint with the dept. about me shooting a high powered rifle around her house and the noise had her frightened. I told them that it was an airgun and I knew the owner of the land and had his permission to shoot in his 400 acre field. At the time she placed the complaint I was at least 100 yards from her trailer. I fired the gun with it's Sumo on the end and they said, "okay, when ya gonna fire the gun" … I told them I already had and then we went down to check the target out at 125 yards and they were impressed. They mulled around for awhile, checked out the steel plates I had out and asked if they could fire the gun … just to make sure I wasn't trying to pull a fast one over on them. I said "sure … have at it" and they really looked like they were enjoying themselves. The next day the young lady called the police again and told them that I had pointed the gun at her so here we go again. I told them that I was a Vietnam Veteran and had served in an infantry platoon and knew very well what happens when you point a gun at someone. I told them that I was 68 years old, happily married, retired and only looking for a couple of years of enjoyment doing something that I liked after spending my entire life working like a dog and in the few years left to me I would rather not have to put up with people making false accusations against me because they are afraid of their own shadow. They felt bad about coming out a second time and they said so, but they had to check out each and every complaint because you never know … I said that I understood and invited them to come over to the house when they got off duty and about 15 of them showed up … I had the wife pick up some steaks and we fired up the grill and a good time was had by all ... and then the airgun subject came up again and some of the cops didn't get to see my Wildcat yet so I brought it out and they wanted to shoot it and so I pointed across the road to the field and said "Let's do it!" Every last one of them got to fire the gun before it got too dark to shoot and every last one of them wanted a gun just like it. Sooooo … yeah … ya never know what kind of reaction you will get from folks. I shot PBs all my life and never really enjoyed shooting anything as much as a high quality airgun. Sooooooooooo … if somebody makes you feel uncomfortable about shooting an airgun, they are just showing their ignorance … but many will come around if you show them how accurate and quiet they can be.

Ctshooter, Google search the ctairgunners club. They are a group of guys that primarily shoot Field Target events in Lebanon CT. They are extremely welcoming and even shoot some indoor events in the winter months at Center Sports in Lebanon. They are always looking for new shooters to join them and even have loner guns if you don’t have a F.T. rifle. They post on Airgun Nation all the time and put on events all the time. I have met one the members who lives close by and he’s really a class act. I plan on shooting with them in the spring if time allows. Best of luck

Ctshooter, Google search the ctairgunners club. They are a group of guys that primarily shoot Field Target events in Lebanon CT. They are extremely welcoming and even shoot some indoor events in the winter months at Center Sports in Lebanon. They are always looking for new shooters to join them and even have loner guns if you don’t have a F.T. rifle. They post on Airgun Nation all the time and put on events all the time. I have met one the members who lives close by and he’s really a class act. I plan on shooting with them in the spring if time allows. Best of luck

Ctshooter,where in CT are you?

Thanks for the tip - I'll look into that group. 

TheBarber - I'm in Danbury and the range I'm talking about is Wooster Mountain.

The few times I have gone to the range with my Daystate Wolverine R and the wind is calm, I put a $5 bill on the shooting bench and the first powder burner guy that makes a comment that is not up to snuff about airguns gets a choice.

Match the $5 and lets set up some paint balls. The first to miss with me using my air gun and you using anything you want says good-by to his $5. Sight in shots are allowed.

More than once I have come home slightly richer in money, than when I left. The other guy went home slightly richer too. He learned what a nice air rifle can do and it is hard to put an exact price on that.

I love going to the public ranges. the Range Masters at the local range know me pretty well now. Fun to out-shoot the PB's at 75 yards (longest they'll let me on for some design reasons). I can show anyone very small, 10 shot groups. Best part is I'm seeing more air rifle types. Last time, saw dude with a couple big bores, and got to watch him shoot. Since I can throw a pellet 75 yards and get smaller groups than any of the PB types (with only few exceptions) and can shoot for a couple hours on $10 ammo and air, it's obvious that I get a lot more out of my range time than even my sons, who both shoot shoulder killers. 45-70 and 50 Beowulf. Two insane calibers, so after 20 rounds, they are broke and hurt too much to keep shooting. for the cost of 10 rounds of either of those, I can shoot 150 or 200 rounds and save some $$.

No one says much other than, Can I try that?

I have the same feelings & insecurities as a newbie in NYC, looking to shoot in Nassau or Suffolk County gun ranges. Also, what protocols, actions should I/we do to not look like a kook or a goof, going to a gun range... I’ve Never been to one. You might as well describe, how & what you should do when you go, walking about on the moon! Tell me what to do, how I should act & how to bring my gear -Please! Thanks guys...

Yes but Im passed that now. Thankfully the outdoor range on Long Island has an airgun only range so it makes it a little easier. I find that firearms tend to bring out the "Macho" in men and can be intimidating if you let it. Funny though that the one thing that makes all men equal is the "gun". I believe that was said by Colt.

Oh yea....they do get so "macho"....and black rifle guys are the worst....and usually the worst shooters.

Just be a good ambassador to the air gun world and let the chips fall where they may.

The other thing about public ranges.....they scare the living _______ out of me....I don't go...I will not go. To the point I would not shoot if that was my only option.

I'm so glad this thread has come up. (Thanks ctshooter for asking the question!) It has come at a very good time for me because I'm going to a local range (25 yard, indoor) today after work to test the waters. I've never been to a range before at all, so I'm a little nervous about the new experience. I'm hoping I won't get laughed out of the place with my guns. Today, I'll be bringing my Air Force Texan Carbine 357 cal and my Daystate Red Wolf 0.22 HP.

I did contact the range a month or so ago and asked if it would be OK for me to bring my airguns. They sounded excited to see my "setup".

-Clayton

Probably the best range in the Salt Lake area is called TNT. it's all indoors and brand new (as of about 2 years ago). They built 100 yard ranges into the basement. Whenever you see AGD videos doing 100 yard shooting at an indoor range, that'a the place. Always top notch service and the rest. I've used the 25 and 100 yard ranges and love the place.

A couple things to look for at an indoor range -

1. Size of the bench. Some 25 yard ranges are setup for pistol or off hand shooting only. The bench is just wide enough to put a pistol and ammo on. I avoid those places. Look for wide benches you can actually use. TNT has wide benches deep enough for bench shooting and stools in every lane. Can't beat it. Most ranges don't have all that

2. Noise. Some ranges have much better suppression than others. Some of the noise is because so many lanes are squeezed in so tightly. Look for wide lanes with fabric between lanes. It helps deaden the noise. Get someone next to you with an AR-15 and you'll know what I mean. TNT has good sound suppression and dividers. In the 100 yard lanes, you can't hear the folks next door, no matter what they are shooting.

3. AIR! I've been to some ranges where the air exchangers were turned off and I ended up sweating like a pig the whole time I was there. Smoke builds up and really makes an unpleasant experience. TNT, wins again.

Lighting and target controls are also important. Look for good light at an indoor range. Target systems that tell you how far the target is downrange are a big help!

Anyone going through SLC should look them up. Bring your guns and impress the locals! If you really want to shoot a PB, they rent. No airguns though. Can't win them all.

The best outdoor range is probably LeeKay. Great staff out there. They will work with you on lane selections if you want to put out wind flags and such.

There are some really good ranges around here, I just hope the rest of the country is as blessed with facilities.

Like others have said, my airguns shut down the range insofar as everyone stops and stares and then some brave soul will get elected to come over and ask me questions about the airguns. My first .30 Flex (the gun I now call the carbine) is especially a crowd pleaser. I haven’t been out with my SSs or my high power Flex yet but I suspect they’ll draw similar awe. 

The thing is so many people just flat don't know....they may see a commercial here and there, but really have no "hands on" with modern air rifles. Even "low end" air rifles can really shock people with how well they shoot.

I am really in love with my little Umerex Fusion, yup, that little plastic CO2 rifle that shoots 600fps on a good day. It is light, easy, quiet and just amazing accurate. Sitting 25 yards away and shooting clubs out of playing cards, shooting the eyes out of the queen, king and jacks really makes people re think what air guns have become.

You can really win some converts with this stuff, then they find out you can shoot it in your basement, garage and keep your trigger finger sharp....they see there is value to even low powered rifles.

Visit a 100 yard outdoor range occasionally, when I need a really solid bench (don't yet have that at home), and a 25 yard indoor range 2-3 times a week on lunch break for offhand practice. Was a bit weird at first, but became routine after a few visits to each place. Haven't had any negative experiences.

Most people are curious, but I do see a dichotomy in their interest based on what else I have in the bag... 

If I have airgun(s) only, & that's frequently the case, they find it interesting but the questions are very general in nature: Can you hunt with that? How accurate is it? What's that big tube under the barrel?

If I bring say, my Colt AR or Springfield 1911-A1, they tend to be more interested (in the airgun, that is), and have very specific questions: What caliber/speed/energy? How much did it cost? Where can I go to check them out & buy? How many shots before you refill? How do you refill? How does the action work?

I guess shooting the AR or 1911 qualifies me as a Real Gun Guy. And if another Real Gun Guy thinks these things are great, maybe they would too since they're a Real Gun Guy/Gal as well.

Most frequent comment I get from those who shoot one of the airguns is how nice the trigger is. Even my Edgun Matador R5, which isn't generally regarded as a "match grade" trigger among airgunners (though it's just about perfect for my tastes).