Anyone experiment with Taipan OEM baffles?

Just curious if anyone has experimented with adding any media inside the OEM Taipan moderator? If so, what did you use and how effective was it at adding additional siliencing to the OEM design without sacrificing accuracy?

I read an old post where Scott (Motorhead) reduced the bore size ID but then experienced some random fliers.

I just wondered if adding hair curler foam or felt washers would increase sound damping? It would be great to reduce dB level without adding any additional length.

I have a veteran standard in 25. With 34 grain pellets running 880 ft per second I could not ask it to be more quiet. That being said, if you bought a cheap decibel meter off Amazon, you could experiment. Weirauch moderators have a fantastic reputation and are easy to emulate with felt wrapped hair curlers, and washer baffles. I won't be messing with my Taipan moderator, but if I did that would be the first thing I tried.

I try not to open moderators or the taipans shroud/mod to not come in contact with all the lead dust in there.

I would think doing the turn tube around trick,never done myself, would add a spot to add something of your liking to try and make it better?

I run a mod on my .22 shorty and now realize I should have got the standard.

Ordered a standard barrel to try and make gto’s fly better for me.

Maybe try a longer barrel?

I recommend a more expensive route of getting a mod 30 and making it very short as to not make it seem like anything is their. You can always add the extra sections back on. It being 30mm lines up and blends in good on the taipan, especially the CZ made models.

Are you bored and just looking to do something to a gun that needs nothing.
. Are you shooting a .25 or a compact?
LOL… Probably.

Just ordered a .22 Std. I’ve had two .22 VL’s in the past and had LDCs on both of them but they were tuned up pretty hot shooting slugs and MRDs. I plan to set this one up for hunting and pesting And would like to keep it as short and quiet as possible.

Have done loads of testing....on the Taipan Shroud and quite a few Moderators. My .25 does AVS 50gr @ 930fps so allot of the foam based media doesn't last too long. Funny, I was messing with shroud modifications today....Got a Huggett Astille in the mail today so testing that as well. Have a Huggett Snipe, Weihrauch, Donny Sumo, STO Falx & Sarissa and currently messing with a DIY made from an old STO Sarissa/Accipiter tube. The best off the shelf moderator is STO by a mile - Huggett Astille I've found to be darn good as well. Had a Donny Ronin, that was decent moderator but only (after) swapping out the oem media. Tried a few different K-Cup DIY designs but none proved worthwhile.

Yes, was a bit anxious waiting on delivery and the mental wheels were spinning waaaaay to much. After I cleaned all the brown gunk out of the barrel, I aired it up and started hurling lead. It was shooting 18s too hot at 960 so I backed the HS off to around 895 with 16s. It’s a tack driver for sure. Can’t wait to stretch its legs when it warms up a bit. It’s snowing, windy and cold today. Shot outside for a few minutes before I lost feeling in my fingers. Below was my sight in @30Y using 18s, 16s, Hades, CPHP, RWS super points (yuk) and RWS wad cutters, yuk too.

65CD321B-3B7D-4BF3-AA71-8BCCFC516DAF.jpeg

Next, I’ve got to work on the trigger. It’s pretty gritty feeling.
This is unusual in Veteran. I would clean and check the adjustment before doing any work on it. And yes, it sounds like your tune is a little hot. You might notice it being even quieter when the reg is backed off a little and you have a better balance. They are really great rifles.