• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anyone Experience a Vulcan Shroud Shift?

AJ3

Apr 24, 2015
I have owned a 25 Vulcan since July and have shot close to 600 rds through it with no problems. Most recently realized that the shroud was not tight on the barrel and that an additional 1/4 turn was required to tightened it firmly. The shroud set screws used to be 180 set to the barrel and are now 90 deg to the barrel with the +1/4 turn.

Any other Vulcan owners experience this? Haven't noticed any change in performance but a little concerned that the barrel may have shifted out somehow. It is not temperature related.

thanks much

Hello and thanks Neil. I checked the shroud set screws and they actually do not tighten against anything in the Vulcan shroud...instead, they set into holes within a barrel nut within the shroud to simply locate it in place. If the set screws are turned all the way in, they will fall into the shroud and the barrel nut will be loose.

Kris if the shroud comes loose and he clips the internals of the shroud he can damage the baffles, Loctite is perfectly good to use as long as it is the none hardening type, that just resists vibration from loosening things. Why would you want to go inside the shroud anyway? If the shroud is working without any problems there is no need to remove it, unless you are a tinkerer and wish to mess around with the internals .None hardening Loctite will NOT prevent you from unscrewing the shroud, it is fairly easy to break loose, unlike the permanent set Loctite which can be a pain to break loose, Neil.

Thanks Neil, I used a drop of blue loctite on the barrel threads as you suggest.

Kris, thanks for the questions but nothing within my shroud came loose...out of the blue, it just simply starting taking an additional 1/4 turn of the shroud on the barrel to keep the shroud snug and not rattling. I couldn't figure out why the +1/4 turn was necessary and afraid the barrel had slipped out of the breach a hair and curious if anyone else experienced this. Sounds like jf30 has so I am not going to worry.