Anyone ever shot scorpions?

Blowgun with blunts for me or a slingshot shooting rice for bugs. Never used on a scorpion but should do the job. I used a blowgun and blunts to shoot some wasps in the kitchen. When I started hitting plates and such, my wife got mad and threw me out of the kitchen. She then used a newspaper. She has never understood the sport of hunting. Anyway have some fun with them.
Did you know that you can get clay balls for slingshots? they are really cool. Tend to shatter when impacting a hard surface.

I'm moderately certain that rock salt out of a high pressure pneumatic wouldn't irritate them. Not good for the barrel but hey, keep it lubed.
After way too many creatures surviving the bug -a-salt (I agree that it mainly messes up wings as opposed to killing anything bigger than a fruit fly) I designed and printed a muzzle device like an ldc you could load salt into. It had reversed baffles to kept the salt from pouring back into the barrel. Put it on the end of a pp700 and it worked well enough. Lost interest eventually and just went back to swatting things but it was fun for a while.

Borax, the common hand and laundry cleaner, is very toxic to creepy crawlers. A band of finely ground borax will speedily kill roaches, scorpions and so forth that crawl over it. It disrupts the wax layer on their exoskeleton and allows excessive water loss and mold/yeast ingress. And its non-toxic.

Nowhere near as fun as shooting the @#$!! however. Watch out for bark scorpions, they can be deadly to elders and youngsters. I was stung by one at 8yo and spent the night in ICU.

Borax, the common hand and laundry cleaner, is very toxic to creepy crawlers. A band of finely ground borax will speedily kill roaches, scorpions and so forth that crawl over it. It disrupts the wax layer on their exoskeleton and allows excessive water loss and mold/yeast ingress. And its non-toxic.

Nowhere near as fun as shooting the @#$!! however. Watch out for bark scorpions, they can be deadly to elders and youngsters. I was stung by one at 8yo and spent the night in ICU.
I'm going to hazard a guess that they are not fun as an adult either. Thanks for the Borax tip but...a touch slow.

Has anyone here been around phillipine cockroaches? Those things are half the length of your palm in length. Nasty things.
IMG_5560.jpeg
IMG_5559.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: BluegrassBill2020
What a great idea! That member’s name does not ring a bell with me, but I’ve only been on this board a few months.

Thanks for noting the tool that made it possible to spot them at night.
He stopped posting on here and GTA awhile ago. He said he was going full time hobby with 1911 pistols and hasn't been back as far as I know.

Has anyone here been around phillipine cockroaches? Those things are half the length of your palm in length. Nasty things.View attachment 385652View attachment 385653
We had geckos in Okinawa that took care of most of the bugs but we did have some really big spiders. One was in my newborn baby daughter's room. I was in such a hurry to kill it and didn't have shoes on I dropped a shoe on it. The dang thing just walked out from under it. That dang thing was big. Can't remember how I finally ended killing it as that was over 46 years ago.

Blowgun with blunts for me or a slingshot shooting rice for bugs. Never used on a scorpion but should do the job. I used a blowgun and blunts to shoot some wasps in the kitchen. When I started hitting plates and such, my wife got mad and threw me out of the kitchen. She then used a newspaper. She has never understood the sport of hunting. Anyway have some fun with them.
Lol true story I killed a mouse in the house with my blow gun. It got under the microwave on our counter. There was barely any room to get to it and didn't want it to get away. Heart and lung shot that SOB and died before I got the microwave moved. My wife thought it was silly to have the blow gun but sure didn't complain about me having it when I killed that mouse. I should dig it out and play with it again lol

I imagine scorpions, flies, mosquitoes, that must be close to or a little beyond the limits of economic feasibility for shooting with pellets.

For scorpions, if you can't step on them or kick them, whacking them with a small stick works just fine.
The giant scorpion is big enough that pellet waste isn’t an issue. Actually, pellet cost is low enough I wouldn’t sweat over practicing on flies. But for flies, the sticky tape hung up works very well and doesn’t require any effort other than hanging and disposing. LOTS of flies for just one tape.

I was thinking of other smallish, ground-traveling critters to practice on. We don’t have mouse or chipmunk trouble because the foxes and raptors take care of that. The lizards and snakes cause no problem to us, and they have predators also. The scorpions are the only things I would like to eradicate. This isn’t even their real home turf in the first place, or at least it didn’t use to be. We’ve noticed plenty of shifts in species’ territories over the last two decades, so who knows, maybe this is a sign of what will be a big problem in a few years.

Meanwhile, I’m choosing a few flattish chunks of fallen wood to mark for practice on.

Yes.

I normally post a warning before posting hunter success photos, but figure anyone offended by scorpion hunter success photos simply doesn't know what scorpions are. They certainly wouldn't have any personal experience(s) with scorpions!🤬

I stalk them with airsoft pistols (that shoot plastic BBs).

Airsoft scorpions.JPG

Baby scorpions.JPG

Yes.

I normally post a warning before posting hunter success photos, but figure anyone offended by scorpion hunter success photos simply doesn't know what scorpions are. They certainly wouldn't have any personal experience(s) with scorpions!🤬

I stalk them with airsoft pistols (that shoot plastic BBs).

View attachment 385949

View attachment 385950
Yup, one sting will make you vow death to scorpions. Such intense, burning, electrical pain, and no visible sign of the bite site except for the slightest tiny redness. Feels like a yellowjacket sting x10.

The Arizona bark scorpion that stung me got my left leg. It felt like getting stabbed with a white hot ice pick and it rapidly became like fire in the entire leg. Started having trouble standing and walking. That, plus the spreading pain, numbness, and tingling was enough to warrant a ride to the ER to get the antivenom. Not a pleasant experience.

Reactions: MAUMAU
After years of never seeing one anywhere in this state, my husband and I found three this summer. Two small bark scorpions (the worst kind), and one big desert hairy scorpion. One of the bark scorpions was INdoors.

The bark scorpions are hard to see; the hairy scorpion is bigger, with a large black/dark midsection. I hope these three are the only ones we encounter, but...it made me wonder about shooting one. I assume a .177 will be plenty enough to kill it, at any distance close enough that I’d actually notice one.

Have you ever pelletized a scorpion? I consider this equivalent to killing dangerous insects in or near the home—no legal restrictions apply.
Ha ha I was getting ready to talk about my BSA Scorpion! :ROFLMAO:

Follow-up: My husband bought a UV flashlight and went outside to check for scorpions. To his dismay, he found another small bark scorpion, which makes 3 of those plus 1 giant desert scorpion so far. This latest one was on the other side of the narrow dirt road.

Upon looking around outside the garage, an extremely bright green glow lit up. It looked awfully familiar to me, albeit not the intense fluorescence. It was a shot-off paster dot. Nearby, the light revealed another one in the gravel.

I’ll dig up a used Shoot-N-C bullseye target and the zombie butcher target that splatters in different bright colors. Blacklight bulb outside + Shoot-N-C target + target practice = disco psychedelic effects? (Might be something for SkeeterHawk here.)