• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anyone Ever Seen a Tank Like This?

We were doing some overwater emergency training at work and part of it was blowing up a survival raft.

After we were done and tearing everything down I noticed that the tank used to inflate the raft was a very nice 410 C IN carbon fiber tank. Work said I could have it.

Anyone ever seen one like it? Hoping to thread a valve onto it and use my compressor to fill it and use it for my PCP.

Shot in the dark but anyone know what size and threading the tank might be?

The black adapter in the second picture unthreads front tank, so it's got a couple of threading options. The last picture is the valve that was in the tank and then attached to the raft.

Maybe one of the SCBA fireman tank valves might fit it?

IMG_1549.1619311346.jpeg
IMG_1550.1619311346.jpeg
IMG_1551.1619311346.jpeg

havent seen one of those yet .. what kindof options are on the original valve? ive been playing around with the regular firemans tank i got on ebay and if you can get something to adapt into 1/4"npt you got it made .. you can get a valve with bleeder with 1/4" fnpt on both sides for about 30 on ebay .. adapt the output to 1/8th and screw in a foster and you got it ..

I don't think the original valve will work for our purposes. It's got multiple inputs and outputs that went to all the various reservoirs on the raft. It was a spider web of hoses and valves.

The threading on both the tank itself and the black adapter you can see in the neck of the tank are much larger than the valve that came on my AceCare Chinese carbon fiber tank. But it's my understanding that the Chinese tanks and valves have a proprietary sized valve threading. The ones sold by Air Venture, Air Tanks for Sale, ect. , are much different.

Ca you post of pic or link of the ebay items your talking about?

It looks like a normal SCBA type tank. It is due for a hydro test. They will be able to remove that black hex adaptor and tell you exactly what type of thread it is. Once you know thread size and type you can seek out a suitable CGA 347 or DIN 300 valve depending on your fill adaptor.

I already got the hex adapter off. I don't plan on hydro testing it.

IMG_1559.1619322336.jpeg
IMG_1560.1619322336.jpeg

This is the top of the valve that was in the black hex adapter.

IMG_1563.1619322438.jpeg
IMG_1562.1619322438.jpeg
IMG_1561.1619322438.jpeg

Reactions: iflyskyhigh
could be metric.. M18 - 1.5 is the closest I can think of. that would be 0.70 if my math is correct and is a scuba tank threading. you definitely have an odd one and will be interesting to see what it turns out to be. keep us informed. 

That tank mfg appears to be a gov contract company so not sure you would get much info from them. A local shop that does hydro testing, or dive shop may be able to find the thread for you. 

The black adapter plug thread looks like 5/8-18 which is what most of the smaller paintball tanks and Guppys are threaded. I've never seen that large of a tank thread before. Most SCBA's and dive tanks are 7/8-14. Some older dive tanks are 3/4-14. I'll be curious to know what this particular tank thread is without the adapter.

Maybe I’ll order a 5/8-18 valve off of Amazon just to see. I can return it if it doesn’t fit. 

There is a good chance it’s some proprietary thread. The tank is off an aircraft life raft, and the tank is made by some company that’s part of the military industrial complex so who knows.

I already have a brand new tank that works great. Not sure how much time I’m gonna put into it. It was free so I thought what the hell.