• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Anyone ever have luck with .22 Baracuda Hunter Extremes?

LOL, I’ve never had much luck with any H&N lead.
Thats odd. I have quite a few guns and every single one seems to like the Field Target Trophy pellets in at least one head size. My .22 Weihrauchs also prefer them over anything else on the market which is great because they are borderline Crosman Premier prices.

I've never tried the .22 Hunter Extremes but I have a couple Dianas that love the .177 version.

I have shot thousands of H&N rounds in various guns, with great results using the FTT and Baracuda series.

The Hunter Extemes in all of my tests are a devastating hunting pellet (the great news) but beyond 30 yards or so have NEVER demonstrated enough accuracy for my tastes (the bad news).

They exhibit very good penetration and mushrooming characteristics but don’t group well, and I have tested them in several rifles, all in .22.

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
They grouped nicely from my DAR but that barrel shoots a lot of pellets well.

Bottom row, middle group. Just 25 yards. I don't remember if I tried them at 50.
25yd groups with gen1 barrel.jpg

Reactions: GA_LeadHead
I've never had a setup that favored H&N pellets, and I've tried many of their pellets (and in many guns) including the Barracuda Hunter Extremes. Even tried a whole series of the FTT pellets they offer in varying head sizes. That was a fairly expensive and time consuming trial only to realize they all shot fairly poorly.

I stopped trying to make them work, to be honest. The few tins of H&N I still have left just sit on the shelf at this point.

They obviously seem to work for some setups. Just not one I have ever owned.

It mainly comes down to if you want to tune your gun to that pellet or just throw it in and see if it shoots good at your current tune. I think most do this and then if it doesn’t shoot well, they move on. Different rules apply of course to springers. I’ve had good luck with them in the one .25 pcp I tried them in, but never tried the .22 version.