• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anyone else spent way too much money on this hobby?

I’ve always found it is healthy to have a hobby that is your own. One that wife doesn’t care about and the kids don’t want to get involved. It’s the thing that keeps you sane, especially if you also work in corporate America, because it’s all about you. At one point my wife tried to accuse me of being selfish because she doesn’t get it - I shut that down real quick explaining that it’s my play money after paying bills and saving a little and it brings me happiness.

That being said I’ve gone through a few hobbies in the past 20 years. Building bleeding edge computers for gaming to building and customizing flashlights to Airguns. They’re all expensive and I’ve spent more than expected on each hobby. The nice thing about Airguns is you can sell them used and recover some of your expenses. Do something aftermarket to a car and it reduces then value rather than increasing it.

TL:DR - just another expensive hobby, but the utility I get out of it makes it worth it. Just wish I could be happy with 3-4 Airguns instead of 15-20 rifles and pistols.

Agree with post #28.
The costs and hassles of traveling to competitions sucks! and they add up quick. (airline ticket, lodging, rental cars, food, and trinkets to appease the wife).

Shout out to those gun ranges that allow camping onsite or parking/dry camping in your car onsite. Every little bit helps.
I remember when I was much much younger, I used to stay at Hostels. They were very affordable...too bad there's nothing similar for traveling competition shooters.

I'm afraid to even look at my travel expenses/budget planned for this year. Pyramid Cup (Ohio), Nationals (Massachusetts), WFTW world (Arizona).

I could have bought a new rifle/scope combo with this year's travel money.

Last edited:
Well that's what the other hobby is for to pay for this hobby metal detecting beaches....with gold right now it doesn't take long to have the $$$$ for a rifle. Dental gold is another thing we find on the beach too.
IMG20240423165004.jpg
20240402_190006.jpg
20240314_204811.jpg
20240314_204816.jpg
20240409_183745.jpg

I’ve always found it is healthy to have a hobby that is your own.
So, so, so, much this! The very definition of hobby is (and should be) a bottomless sink for unallocated resources, particularly money and time. People without hobbies retire to an easy chair and die. People with hobbies retire to pursue their passion, make like-minded friends, and live to a ripe old age. Unless you've ignored primary financial responsibility (food, shelter, critical obligations,...) I don't think you can spend "too much" on an absorbing pastime.

GsT

Reactions: rcarlisle
Haha, been there totally! Airguns are addictive, aren't they?

Like, I started with a basic break barrel .22 rifle, and next thing you know, I have a tricked-out PCP rifle for long-range target practice (it's amazing, but whoa on the price tag!).
Btw, this might help stop spending a ton of money. Before I buy, I spend a lot of time reading reviews and watching YouTube videos. Sometimes that buying itch gets scratched just by learning about new models.

Reactions: PaulK62
I am getting closer to retirement and hobbies are important to me. I don't do lazy or being bored very well. So I just look at it as another way to prepare for retirement.

And Bud-sc I have also been looking at metal detecting as another hobby to pick up, the walking would be another form of exercise also.
Oh yeah you definitely walk!!! I walk any where from 3 to 6 miles each time I go out!!

It all depends on who you ask. I did sell my boat yesterday to keep things afloat. My problem is, I’m
running out of room. Have 4 beautiful rifles on order as I write this. Can’t take it with you. Crow
Wow, and I've seen a photo you posted of your gun room with springers hanging off the two walls from floor to ceiling. What four are you adding to your stable?