Anyone else rocking an LPVO?

Michael

Administrator
Staff member
I must admit that I've come to love LPVO's! 

As of lately most of my shooting doesn't require ultra high magnification, and this 1-7x easily puts me on the kill-zone from 1y-50y.

• Airgun: EDgun Leshiy 2, 350mm barrel, .22 caliber 
  • Scope: Dedal Optics DHF 1-7x24
  • Mounts: Sportsmatchscopemounts 34mm
  • Grip: Volk laminate
  • Accessories: Valkyrie handguard

Screenshot_20220408-100652_Instagram.1649430430.jpg

-Michael

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I have my eye on the Athlon Helos BTR Second Gen MOA. It would be a slight upgrade to a (very nice optically) to my Delta Stryker 1-6 MOA. Both scopes set at 100 yds parallax, but looks clear at lower power settings

Do you really feel like the Athlon Helos would be an upgrade from the Delta Stryker? I'm assuming you are considering the Helos BTR Gen 2 1-10? I've only heard great things about the Stryker and many say it is the best sub 1000$ 1-6 LVPO out there...and it can be had for substantially less than 1000$. It apparently nips on the heels of the Vortex Razors from what I've heard.

I don't know from firsthand experience but if the 500$ Helos is an upgrade to the 800$ Stryker I'd be very surprised.

I have my eye on the Athlon Helos BTR Second Gen MOA. It would be a slight upgrade to a (very nice optically) to my Delta Stryker 1-6 MOA. Both scopes set at 100 yds parallax, but looks clear at lower power settings

Do you really feel like the Athlon Helos would be an upgrade from the Delta Stryker? I'm assuming you are considering the Helos BTR Gen 2 1-10? I've only heard great things about the Stryker and many say it is the best sub 1000$ 1-6 LVPO out there...and it can be had for substantially less than 1000$. It apparently nips on the heels of the Vortex Razors from what I've heard.

I don't know from firsthand experience but if the 500$ Helos is an upgrade to the 800$ Stryker I'd be very surprised.

I guess I ought to clarify that 1-10 would be especially better for me on an air rifle than the 1-6. Unfortunately for me, price is an object, so the Helos 1-10 would be an upgrade in terms of magnification. Now, if price wasn't an object, I'd really like to get behind a TORIC UHD 30mm 1-8x24 MRAD IR LPVO SFP Rifle Scope.

My Stryker is currently on an AR-15. I thought about upgrading, but decided to keep it. Pretty sure the MOA version I have isn't available anymore from EdgunWest.

I guess I ought to clarify that 1-10 would be especially better for me on an air rifle than the 1-6. Unfortunately for me, price is an object, so the Helos 1-10 would be an upgrade in terms of magnification. Now, if price wasn't an object, I'd really like to get behind a TORIC UHD 30mm 1-8x24 MRAD IR LPVO SFP Rifle Scope.

My Stryker is currently on an AR-15. I thought about upgrading, but decided to keep it. Pretty sure the MOA version I have isn't available anymore from EdgunWest.

The reticle is MOA or the turrets are MOA?

I thought all of the Stykers had MIL reticles but the early run had MOA turrets which was later corrected?

Stryker is also on my list due to the reticle & reported glass quality. 

What draws me especially to the 1-6 vs a 1-8 or 1-10 is that at the lower magnifications there is no need to adjust the focus. It probably varies but I've noticed that on most of my scopes 5X or 6X and under magnifications are usually clear at almost all distances eliminating the need for a focusing feature. Sure, the parallax is still set and can only be at one fixed distance on a fixed parallax but frankly for 50 meters and under and 6X and under the need for AO and side focus is really unnecessary IMO. KISS. This means that if I have a good mil reticle the only things I'm adjusting in preparation for a shot is 1) mag range and 2) possible windage calculations. Most of the times for my purposes of an LVPO windage is a non factor because I'm primarily going to be using it at closer distances(again, sub 50 meters) and primarily in the woods.

Because I happen to know that my maximum effective range with my setup is 50 meters I can set the fixed parallax to that distance and know that on my longest shots the parallax is set correctly...

What draws me especially to the 1-6 vs a 1-8 or 1-10 is that at the lower magnifications there is no need to adjust the focus. It probably varies but I've noticed that on most of my scopes 5X or 6X and under magnifications are usually clear at almost all distances eliminating the need for a focusing feature. Sure, the parallax is still set and can only be at one fixed distance on a fixed parallax but frankly for 50 meters and under and 6X and under the need for AO and side focus is really unnecessary IMO. KISS. This means that if I have a good mil reticle the only things I'm adjusting in preparation for a shot is 1) mag range and 2) possible windage calculations. Most of the times for my purposes of an LVPO windage is a non factor because I'm primarily going to be using it at closer distances(again, sub 50 meters) and primarily in the woods.

Because I happen to know that my maximum effective range with my setup is 50 meters I can set the fixed parallax to that distance and know that on my longest shots the parallax is set correctly...

I still notice a bit of difference with my 30mm objective and above scopes in terms of focus. It is most notable on my Dedal 6x30. From what I understand the short length of that scope reduces the depth of field so side focus (well, actually top focus in the case of the Dedal) is necessary.

I had an Immersive 5x30 here for a while and it's also short and the focus was necessary on that one as well.

Honestly I notice the lack of focus on an LPVO most when I'm shooting indoors to adjust a scope to the first zero of the PBR. With side focus it is much easier for my 53 year old eyes to gauge how far off I am on the splatter targets. First world problem having to have a second scope handy to check my misses. 

I still notice a bit of difference with my 30mm objective and above scopes in terms of focus. It is most notable on my Dedal 6x30. From what I understand the short length of that scope reduces the depth of field so side focus (well, actually top focus in the case of the Dedal) is necessary.

I had an Immersive 5x30 here for a while and it's also short and the focus was necessary on that one as well.

Honestly I notice the lack of focus on an LPVO most when I'm shooting indoors to adjust a scope to the first zero of the PBR. With side focus it is much easier for my 53 year old eyes to gauge how far off I am on the splatter targets. First world problem having to have a second scope handy to check my misses. 

What did you think about the immersive overall?

My favorite airgun LPVO doesn't start at 1x but 2x and that'd be both my Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 DMR's. A bit heavy but 12x!!! and a thick reticle in FFP. Most important to me is it focuses down to 10Y and all parallax error can be dialed out on any magnification.

I found out the hard way that for old eyes the 1-8's and 1-10's that have fixed parallax are getting blurry above 5x and its a struggle adjusting diopter reticle focus to coincide with image focus, more so on 10x. They might work for most people but sure didn't for me.

That 1-4.5 Athlon service rifle scope was a good scope but 4.5x isn't enough magnification for my needs.

I also had a Athlon Midas SFP 1-6 in MOA, I liked it, especially the reticle, and 6x is getting to almost be enough magnification to suit me.

Currently have a March DFP 1-10x28 with side focus but it lives on my AR. Honestly the only time I might need 1x is CQB. Otherwise 2x is sufficient.

Had a 1x Prism sight, eh it was lightweight but....

Reactions: GunshipGuy