• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anyone else rocking an LPVO?

@peebrainz - what is the minimum distance you can use full magnification at? 

-Michael

Correct, the pictured scope is SFP, not dual reticle. I just tested on shortest focus setting, with 10x magnification, the image is perfectly sharp when the objective lens is almost exactly 6 feet away.

My apologies, I didn't realize you had an adjustable parallax model.

The Nightforce NX8 1-8×24 is small and perfect in all respects except for the maximum power could be bigger. I'd love it in a 10+ magnifying range and would buy another if they up the power, even in the pricier ATACR line if they put a tactical turret on it.

I've also been eye balling the NightForce NX8 1-8x24. What is the minimum distance you can use full magnification at? 

-Michael

Michael,

I had a Nightforce NX8 1-8x24 for about a week or two and sold it immediately after. I didn't care for it much. I got it prior to receiving my L2 when they first came out which I planned to mount it on. I'm trying to recall the minimum distance it would focus at 8x. What I didn't like about the NX8 1-8×24 was the fish bowl effect and heavy distortion around the edges. What I ended up getting was a NF NX8 2.5-20X50 and been pretty happy with it. JMO.

The Nightforce NX8 1-8×24 is small and perfect in all respects except for the maximum power could be bigger. I'd love it in a 10+ magnifying range and would buy another if they up the power, even in the pricier ATACR line if they put a tactical turret on it.

I've also been eye balling the NightForce NX8 1-8x24. What is the minimum distance you can use full magnification at? 

-Michael

I've been looking at the March LPVO's. I don't think the one shown in this picture is the dual reticle shorty with the side parallax. This looks like the original version that's a bit less compact and can use normal rings. I believe it also has a fixed parallax (or magnification based parallax) which I kind of like for the quick LPVO style.

All these years I brushed off LPVO's because they didn't have an adjustable parallax. But in all honesty, majority of my shooting is 50y or less. At low magnification I can get a perfectly clean sight picture at less than 10y. At higher magnification (6x) I can get a perfectly clean sight picture at 50y. It isn't until 7x at 50y that the parallax comes into play. But it looks perfectly clear beginning at about 65y. FWIW - I can hit a 1'' square target every time at 50y. But IMO LPVO aren't made for shooting fly's at 10y or 100y.

-Michael

3XZbdWv - Imgur.1649523320.jpg

Gun: Edgun L2 250mm .22 cal

Scope: March D10V24TI (1-10x)

Mount: Scalarworks LEAP 07

I just got the scope last month (during the sale) after agonizing over choices for weeks. I considered pretty much everything mentioned in this thread and very nearly pulled the trigger on a Delta Stryker. This thing was a lot more but it checked all the boxes and I can use it with other guns too.

I originally put it in a Larue LT104 but I couldn't mount it far back enough without the QD levers interfering with the gun's folding action so I put it in this LEAP 07 (today!) It is perfect for me now and as you can see there is plenty of room to move it forwards and backwards for other shooters.

Thinking about a Spartan Javelin Lite bipod next...

I've been looking at the March LPVO's. I don't think the one shown in this picture is the dual reticle shorty with the side parallax. This looks like the original version that's a bit less compact and can use normal rings. I believe it also has a fixed parallax (or magnification based parallax) which I kind of like for the quick LPVO style.

All these years I brushed off LPVO's because they didn't have an adjustable parallax. But in all honesty, majority of my shooting is 50y or less. At low magnification I can get a perfectly clean sight picture at less than 10y. At higher magnification (6x) I can get a perfectly clean sight picture at 50y. It isn't until 7x at 50y that the parallax comes into play. But it looks perfectly clear beginning at about 65y. FWIW - I can hit a 1'' square target every time at 50y. But IMO LPVO aren't made for shooting fly's at 10y or 100y.

-Michael

Correct, the pictured scope is SFP, not dual reticle. I just tested on shortest focus setting, with 10x magnification, the image is perfectly sharp when the objective lens is almost exactly 6 feet away.

just fyi, since you have the leap mount, there are magnets at home depot that fit pretty well in the thumb screws for holding spare mags.

Link please? 😀

-Michael

-Michael

3XZbdWv - Imgur.1649523320.jpg

Gun: Edgun L2 250mm .22 cal

Scope: March D10V24TI (1-10x)

Mount: Scalarworks LEAP 07

I just got the scope last month (during the sale) after agonizing over choices for weeks. I considered pretty much everything mentioned in this thread and very nearly pulled the trigger on a Delta Stryker. This thing was a lot more but it checked all the boxes and I can use it with other guns too.

I originally put it in a Larue LT104 but I couldn't mount it far back enough without the QD levers interfering with the gun's folding action so I put it in this LEAP 07 (today!) It is perfect for me now and as you can see there is plenty of room to move it forwards and backwards for other shooters.

Thinking about a Spartan Javelin Lite bipod next...

-Michael

just fyi, since you have the leap mount, there are magnets at home depot that fit pretty well in the thumb screws for holding spare mags.

Link please?
1f600.svg

i think this,

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Magnet-0-47-in-Neodymium-Rare-Earth-Magnet-Discs-6-per-Pack-07046HD/202526367

package looks like this. you don't want the ones with double-stick foam.

-Michael

@Micheal So I did some clarity testing just now with the NX8 1-8×24. At 8X power you can count the granules on a roof, with video quality, at 40 yards. At 25 yards a fence and wood grain gets slightly fuzzy, though really good for focusing on a paper target still. Clarity drops off pretty good at 15 yards, but you can still see the clover on there ground, just not well enough to verify if it's three or four leaf clover petals you're seeing. Now, at 4X power, it is video quality sharp focus down to 12 yards.

Just as with most fixed parallax scope's, as magnification decreases so does parallax distortion. So at zero magnification this has less parallax distortion at closer yardages. Getting right behind the eyebox is pretty easy with this scope so that has been a non-issue for me.

What is pretty cool about the fisheye effect (at low power) is the fact that you don't have to be right behind the scope to see and be right on the target. Yes, the fisheye does make it a bit distorted on the outer edges, it is crystal clear for about 75% or more of the whole sight picture. And that is only really noticable viewing things at short ranges. The further out your target, the less noticable the fisheye. Because at longer ranges we tend to up the power anyway, the fisheye becomes a non-existent (with higher magnification). The best feature of the NX8 line is they are dialer turret's and everything turns smooth as butter, especially the magnification throw ring. 

It is a well engineered scope, but could use two additional power and optional parallax adjustment. Though with adjustable parallax comes fiddling with that dial all the time...

Reactions: peebrainz
the thing to be careful about parallax is that although the image appears pretty clear, there can still be a poa shift if you move your eye left or right (or up or down).

this may or may not matter depending on what you are doing, but you should be aware if it matters.

Great point!

My question is what is the most important feature you are looking for? What’s your goal, Speed or precision? LPVO I’d designed to shoot primary at 1x which isn’t easy to do well. All 1x optics has one primary goal which is speed. Speed meaning raise to eye, acquire target and shoot as fast possible or think CQB, so parallax adjustment will slow everything down. The higher magnifications are for occasional longer range shooting but also as fast as possible and pretty much all of them have very forgiving eye box at 1 x but very tight eye box at max. parallax error is not a huge concern in CQB with 223 or 7.62 on torso sized targets. 

IF you rarely used 1x and shoot mostly at 8x then I would highly recommend a 2-10 or 3-12 scope with parallax. No LPVO without parallax can focus down to even 20 yards well, it’s not designed to be used that ways.

from the sound of it you want more precision more so than speed if you want parallax adjustment at all so I think a compact/light 2-12 or 3-15 with parallax might be the right scope for your use case. I leave mine on 4x and don’t touch anything when shooting in my yard, I have shot 100 yards with LPVO on 6x but for for giggles, I rarely use 6x.

Reactions: Huncowboy
My question is what is the most important feature you are looking for? What’s your goal, Speed or precision? LPVO I’d designed to shoot primary at 1x which isn’t easy to do well. All 1x optics has one primary goal which is speed. Speed meaning raise to eye, acquire target and shoot as fast possible or think CQB, so parallax adjustment will slow everything down. The higher magnifications are for occasional longer range shooting but also as fast as possible and pretty much all of them have very forgiving eye box at 1 x but very tight eye box at max. parallax error is not a huge concern in CQB with 223 or 7.62 on torso sized targets. 

IF you rarely used 1x and shoot mostly at 8x then I would highly recommend a 2-10 or 3-12 scope with parallax. No LPVO without parallax can focus down to even 20 yards well, it’s not designed to be used that ways.

from the sound of it you want more precision more so than speed if you want parallax adjustment at all so I think a compact/light 2-12 or 3-15 with parallax might be the right scope for your use case. I leave mine on 4x and don’t touch anything when shooting in my yard, I have shot 100 yards with LPVO on 6x but for for giggles, I rarely use 6x.

yup. how you're going to use it makes a big difference.

the range i go to has a pistol caliber steel arcade, with different sized targets at various distances.

with a red dot or 1x lpvo, it is lots of ping-ping-ping-ping-ping-ping-ping-ping fun with the L2.

if i want to try some kind of golf ball challenge, or shoot for groups at 100 yards, it is nice to have the 10x (or whatever you got).

in either case, for me having fixed parallax is not an issue, but it could be for others that hunt at close ranges.

Here's another of my Classics that may look familiar to someone here. I've had an Athlon BTR Gen 2 1-8x24 sitting around that I need to spend more time with so I put it on this morning. 

20220415_102825.1650040168.jpg

I had a 1x prism on it yesterday & despite the 20+ mph winds spent some time shooting fast (for me). This Athlon also has an illuminated horseshoe type reticle so I wanted to compare. 

It's also the lightest LPVO I own as well as my only 8x. 

I thought I'd mention this one as it supposedly has 50 yard fixed parallax which might be of interest to airgunners. I'm going on the word of another member here about the 50 yard parallax. I have not contacted Athlon to confirm. 

Here's another of my Classics that may look familiar to someone here. I've had an Athlon BTR Gen 2 1-8x24 sitting around that I need to spend more time with so I put it on this morning. 

20220415_102825.1650040168.jpg

I had a 1x prism on it yesterday & despite the 20+ mph winds spent some time shooting fast (for me). This Athlon also has an illuminated horseshoe type reticle so I wanted to compare. 

It's also the lightest LPVO I own as well as my only 8x. 

I thought I'd mention this one as it supposedly has 50 yard fixed parallax which might be of interest to airgunners. I'm going on the word of another member here about the 50 yard parallax. I have not contacted Athlon to confirm.

That's awesome! If I could only wrap my head around holdovers with SFP scopes it would open up a lot more options.

If I could only wrap my head around holdovers with SFP scopes it would open up a lot more options.

For me I've resigned myself to a dope card a lowest power and highest power. I'm trying to avoid apps and dialing for hunting situations. Also trying to avoid scopes where the reticle isn't true at highest power, although I can't recall a SFP LPVO where that was the case.

I recently got the March 1-10 shorty, with the DR-1 reticle.

I've never had a scope quite this nice. It's more expensive than my truck, or any of my guns.

i am so jelly.

I feel a little like that too. "Will the owner let me try it?" "I am the owner." "Will I let myself use it?" "Well, maybe. What are you going to do with it? Will you have it back before dinner time?" "Yes sir, back before dinner time. Only some light pellet plinking, sir." 

I've never had a scope quite this nice. It's more expensive than my truck, or any of my guns.

i am so jelly.

I feel a little like that too. "Will the owner let me try it?" "I am the owner." "Will I let myself use it?" "Well, maybe. What are you going to do with it? Will you have it back before dinner time?" "Yes sir, back before dinner time. Only some light pellet plinking, sir." 

I'm also a bit jelly.

What rifle or rifles are you using it on & how do you have it mounted?

I can afford one of those but I'm very much a throw a Leshiy in a soft bag, throw it in a backpack & then trudge through miles of thistle kind of guy.

I feel like if I had a 1-10x24 shorty I'd never want to take it anywhere. 

Of course I have a couple of grand in various scopes I am willing to throw in a backpack but I don't really care for any of them. At some point I need to invest in a better pack & better scopes. And maybe sell off some surplus.

I'm also a bit jelly.

I can afford one of those but I'm very much a throw a Leshiy in a soft bag, throw it in a backpack & then trudge through miles of thistle kind of guy.

Of course I have a couple of grand in various scopes I am willing to throw in a backpack but I don't really care for any of them. At some point I need to invest in a better pack & better scopes. And maybe sell off some surplus.

I'm using it on everything. But mainly the Leshiy 2 and a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle, a Tikka. It does feel very robust. I have it mounted on the small Scalarworks LEAP mount (one ring). 

March has their own 2-ring mount for the shorty. It looks really serious. 

Screenshot from 2022-04-16 13-33-50.1650141246.png

With the Leshiy I'm aiming for "tight, light and compact" so the Scalarworks was a better fit. I think if you were concerned about the scope getting beat-up, the March rings would be the way to go. 

The March scope walls are 4mm thick, so the scope bodies themselves are very durable. 

I'm also a bit jelly.

I'm using it on everything. But mainly the Leshiy 2 and a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle, a Tikka. It does feel very robust. I have it mounted on the small Scalarworks LEAP mount (one ring). 

March has their own 2-ring mount for the shorty. It looks really serious. 

Screenshot from 2022-04-16 13-33-50.1650141246.png

With the Leshiy I'm aiming for "tight, light and compact" so the Scalarworks was a better fit. I think if you were concerned about the scope getting beat-up, the March rings would be the way to go. 

The March scope walls are 4mm thick, so the scope bodies themselves are very durable.

The proprietary mount would be too high for me. I could rig up a cheek riser but I like to change optics around & would prefer no riser unless I made the riser easy to clip on & off.

Turns out if you use a Burris XTR 34mm ring in front with a certain size insert & a 30mm in back, also with a certain sized insert, it can be mounted at my preferred height & have some MOA slope. But then no QR. There is some company selling these as sets so you don't have duplicate rings.

i am so jelly.

Haha awesome dude. I hope you love it. Looking forward to pics!!