• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anyone else NOT grow up shooting?

I’ve been wondering this. I’ll often see folks here on AGN mention that they grew up with PBs and found airguns later in life, or had a Daisy as a kid and have been collecting airguns ever since.

My situation is a little different. I grew up in a city. There was no Daisy in my youth. I went hunting maybe twice as a kid with relatives in Virginia. Took a few trips to gun ranges here and there with friends in my twenties, but it was always a novelty. It wasn’t until I came to my senses and moved myself and my family upstate to the woods, where all my neighbors hunt, that I got interested in shooting. That was about 5 years ago, and I’m about to be 34, so my discovery of guns (both PBs and airguns) happened relatively late. Needless to say it’s changed my life.

Just curious if anyone else here has a similar experience.

I'm 36 and got into shooting about 5.5yrs ago when I gave up drinking. I started off shooting powder at the local club and then when Covid happened and ammo was insanely priced and hard to get, I switched to air. Honestly it was probably the best decision I ever made. I can shoot all day for like $15 vs the $300 I was spending to go shoot my big boy toys for a few hours

I grew up in the NYC metro area and am 62 years old. As a young boy in the 1960s BB guns were still legal in the five boroughs. Then that all changed. It has always been difficult to be a recreational shooter or hunter living “in” NYC. So like you I feel bless to have left the city behind. You are still a young man, so you aren’t late and hopefully have many years ahead to enjoy hunting and shooting.

P.S. My buddy and I in our teens did a lot of “unofficial” pest control… Rats from garbage piles, pigeons from underpasses and bridges, mice, sparrows, etc. We put our Crosman American Classic 1377 and 1322 to serious use.

Nope, I'm one of the old timers, long timers. Always loved anything that shot a projectile.

Started out with pellet guns, homemade bows and slingshots as a kid. Retired now (in my second childhood 😉) , and still shooting pellet guns, homemade bows and slingshots.

Glad that you found shooting sports!
Cheers!

I shot anything I could every chance I got growing up. My parents did not mind me shooting and hunting anything with friends and their parents, but there were no weapons in our house ever so I never owned any until after high school and moving. My mother saw too much blood growing up in WWII, including her best friend being killed standing next to her on way to school. Mom got lucky, on two occasions dud bombs penetrated to the basement of her home, I saw the repairs to the attic, floors, and basement when visiting my grandmother in 1972 who owned, lived, and worked the same farm until she died. So any weapons were forbidden in my home growing up, as soon as I moved away after high school, she actually gave me some money to help cover my first firearm purchase, just so long as I never brought it into her house. I know dad hated it, he used to be on his divisions pistol team in the army. He found excuses to drive a couple hours and visit me after high school, I know it was just to shoot handguns and not to visit me. I was the wild child/black sheep of the family.

Grew up on the South side of Chicago. Never had guns in the house til I had my own place in California. Always enjoyed shooting on occasion but when I neared retirement found out about PCP'S & went down the rabbit hole! My wife says I'm obsessed! So be it. Better than my obsession with drugs when I was younger & waayyy more stupid. I love the Zen-like aspect of concentration, breathing, controlling my heart, calming my mind. And, a nice loud SCHWACK of a projectile laying out a varmint is a sweet reward. Yeah, I'm obsessed!

I grew up in the NYC metro area and am 62 years old. As a young boy in the 1960s BB guns were still legal in the five boroughs. Then that all changed. It has always been difficult to be a recreational shooter or hunter living “in” NYC. So like you I feel bless to have left the city behind. You are still a young man, so you aren’t late and hopefully have many years ahead to enjoy hunting and shooting.

P.S. My buddy and I in our teens did a lot of “unofficial” pest control… Rats from garbage piles, pigeons from underpasses and bridges, mice, sparrows, etc. We put our Crosman American Classic 1377 and 1322 to serious use.
If it wasn’t already evident, I was also an NYC kid. Grateful for the experience of growing up there, but glad those days are behind me.

Reactions: L.Leon
I'm 36 and got into shooting about 5.5yrs ago when I gave up drinking. I started off shooting powder at the local club and then when Covid happened and ammo was insanely priced and hard to get, I switched to air. Honestly it was probably the best decision I ever made. I can shoot all day for like $15 vs the $300 I was spending to go shoot my big boy toys for a few hours
I also quit drinking, about 7 yrs ago. Shooting—among other things—has helped fill the void.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
I also quit drinking, about 7 yrs ago. Shooting—among other things—has helped fill the void.
Shooting (and some archery), kayaking, and some camping did it for me. Took up fishing too but realized I just liked throwing a rubber frog across a lake and making it look like it was hopping back to me. Never caught anything though.

Now I REALLY feel like an old timer. I'm 69, and didn't grow up shooting anything. Dad was a WWII vet. He saw heavy combat and needed up serving as a medic due to battle field emergency situations. He returned forever changed. When I was old enough to comprehend some of his stories, he said that he never wanted to shoot or see another weapon. Fast forward. I dipped my toe into the airgun sport about 12yrs ago and never looked back. Conventional firearms as well. Dad passed on several yrs ago. While I still can appreciate his perspective, I'm thoroughly enjoying this hobby !! I'm at 10 airguns (most are higher end) and still growing!! Thank you to all who share your knowledge here as we continue to learn from each other. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

I grew up in the 60-70s. My father would go on a deer hunting trip with his buddies every year after Thanksgiving to WV. My brother and I were never invited. We had a neighbor with a cool dad who bought his sons Crossman BB guns. Had lots of fun shooting cans and bottles in the woods and some birds that we probably weren’t supposed to be shooting. Fast forward many years. I started having problems with squirrels damaging our house. Went down the rabbit hole reading about PCPs and purchased my first rifle,a FX Royal 400 .22. I’ve been obsessed ever since with air gun and bow hunting.
Better late than never.

Very similar story here. Grew up in Brooklyn, NY in the 70s/80s. Only had a BB gun at my grandparents house in CT. Had the chance off and on through the years to go shooting with friends but always lived in and around NYC and Boston until about 10 years ago. Got bit hard by the airgun bug about 6-7 years ago now living in parts of CT where it's much easier to shoot.

Reactions: MLE
Bought a Winchester 190 .22LR and 5,000 rounds of ammo the day I turned 18. The day I turned 21 I bought a Dan Wesson .357 Magnum.
In and out of about 10 hobbies and 2 years ago got into airguns.
I sold my Dan Wessons in the last couple years, all but one, I had to keep my 375 supermag. I hated seeing my nearly perfect 357 pistol pack go, but I found it a good home where it won't be dismantled and sold off piece meal for a profit. They are great handguns, but heavy, all but my supermag had been safe queens for decades.

Siblings ruined my chances of owning a bb/pellet gun of my own as a youth. Wanted a Daisy model 25 more than anything. Luckily friends around my (mothers) house "in the country" would lend me an airgun while we went on outings, but she never approved the couple times she found out. Dad lived in Rochester then, never did anything shooting related while staying in the city. Somehow mom approved of me going to the range, where my only option to shoot was with a M1 Garand mostly, and didn't get a rimfire until my early teens. Then around 17, losing all interest in airguns (at the time) I received a new Crosman 2200 as a gift.

In Denmark shooting or owning a weapon is not really part of the culture at all, sure in rural parts people have always hunted.
City folks also do that, and more and more it seem, though lately i am sure in most city folk cases its just a matter of the person want a weapon in the house, and as they can NOT have that for protection reasons, well they can for " hunting " reasons.

Then there is the recreational - sports shooters, we have those too, and i started out there at the tender age of 9 or there about.
Since i got older i wondered why really, i cant recall a urge to want to shoot, i can only remember a urge not to play football with the other kids / being around the other kids.
But somehow i got started shooting 15 M rimfire, and in the summer 50 M, and i can only attest that to friends of our family where the husband was a sports shooter.
In my own immediate family no one was shooting anything.

Anyway me shooting it only lasted a few years but i did end up shooting 200 M too, with big ass 7.92 mm rifles that had a severe kick for a scrawny 11 year old kid.

Okay then a little later there was that period of my life where i was very - very naughty, but we better not dwell on that, but yeah i have handled a few weapons and other KABOOM things.
I am glad i did, and sad i could not have done so within the law.

And then came a lull of decades until i got a PCP rifle in 2012.

In the all the years since i was 15 or so i have always carried a knife, still do even now after it have become illegal, i refuse to be branded a criminal before i have done something criminal, but the second i use my knife in a unacceptable way, well they should deal with me in the most harsh and swift manner.

For the most i carry a little pocket knife, which primarily see use as a nail cleaning tool, but some times when i venture into the deep Danish forests ( just kidding we dont have that ) at night, well with a population of wolf now back in the country, i carry 1 or 2 big knives, for sure one in a holster under my arm and often one on the hip.
And if any wolf think he / she is going to make a meal out of me, well they will have to fight for it, CUZ i refuse to be a push over victim.
I call that natural common sense / due diligence ,and i see nothing wrong in that.
PS: I have been face to face with a wolf, and only having my little pocket knife on me, fortunately flashing the flashlight i was in the forest to test worked that time.

I of course do not carry a big blade when i go shopping, CUZ i do not feel that threatened by other people, i just prefer if they was not there.
I dont even think if i was able to conceal carry a pistol i would do it very often, at least not here in little old mostly peaceful Denmark.

Though some areas are turning nasty, look up a YT video called " Drill Music in the ‘Happiest Country’ in the World "

PPS: i think this os more or less a bit off topic, but now you have the low down of why most Danes are clueless to weapons, and it getting worse now that large sections of boys are no longer called up every year at the age of 18 to serve a year.

Last edited: