Anyone else forced to use single shot trays ?

Just realized recently that I have been breaking the law while hunting. Where I live unless the gun is 22 cal or smaller we are limited to 6 rounds. Glad I never got stopped as I would have gotten in trouble. I got single shot trays for both streamlines and one for an fx impact on the way. Kind of really stinks for follow up shots plus it’s just easier to carry the ammo loaded into mags.

Is that 6 round limit only for semiautomatic rifles?
Correct, only applies to semi-auto rifles and shotguns, with an exception for 22 rimfire.
Doesn't apply to bolt action or pumps, based on this thread. You can also ask the DNR by email.

As Tommy boy would say SON OF A……
I just spent like an extra 50 bucks I didn’t need to do to lack of reading comprehension. Lmao. Yep somehow I read right past that part.

351A6906-B26D-4048-8451-33090B8B7087.png

I don't know what airgun you have, but the single short trays will let you shot ammo that is too long to fit in your magazines.
True and I will probably eventually get to the slug side of things. Mainly pellets for now. I have two impacts. One .25 and one .30. The only slugs I shoot are the .25 light nielsen slugs. They are like 27 or 28 gr I think. They actually do pretty well at 940 fps out of my 600 mm m3. I guess I will just use the single impact loader for those. While they are not too long they have a tendency to not feed the greatest out of the stock mags. I think they have just enough wiggle room that sometimes they hang up on the edge of the feed hole in the mag. They just fit too loose. I guess it could also be that the slug being more tapered lets the mag wheel rotate just a bit too far as to not line up with the hole.

True and I will probably eventually get to the slug side of things. Mainly pellets for now. I have two impacts. One .25 and one .30. The only slugs I shoot are the .25 light nielsen slugs. They are like 27 or 28 gr I think. They actually do pretty well at 940 fps out of my 600 mm m3. I guess I will just use the single impact loader for those. While they are not too long but actually a bit too small. They have a tendency to not feed the greatest out of the stock mags. I think they have just enough wiggle room that sometimes they hang up on the edge of the feed hole in the mag.
Orion the Iguana Hunter makes a magazine feeder wheel designed for slugs that reduces the wiggle room. I heard that shorter slugs can rotate with the standard wheel. He also has a lid to allow longer slugs, tested with the 40gr 22cal slugs. Maybe contact him and describe the issue in more detail, to make sure his design will fix the problem you're having.

Reactions: Trucker3573
Orion the Iguana Hunter makes a magazine feeder wheel designed for slugs that reduces the wiggle room. I heard that shorter slugs can rotate with the standard wheel. He also has a lid to allow longer slugs, tested with the 40gr 22cal slugs. Maybe contact him and describe the issue in more detail, to make sure his design will fix the problem you're having.

Thanks man. I think that is the problem. The stock mag rotates just a bit too much not allowing them to line up and feed properly. Thank you again for the help.

Reactions: Raider03
Do those paragraphs refer to airguns, firearms or ANYTHING launching a projectile? I get the feeling it refers to pb's, not airguns. Doesn't mean my feeling is correct.

Those paragraphs are the "a person shall not do any of the following:" header under the section titled "Taking of animals; prohibited methods, devices, and weapons."

The language in that specific paragraph certainly is worded towards firearms since the limitation is listed as six "shells." So an airgun hunter would have a legal argument that the prohibition does not apply to airguns since an airgun does not use any shells, even if that hunter was using a semi-auto airgun. Not an advisable undertaking, but it certainly is a valid legal argument. The important aspect of this section is that it is listing things that are prohibited. This directly highlights the long-standing legal principle of "Everything which is not forbidden is allowed" (i.e., when given such a list of prohibited items/actions, if it is not on the list, then it is presumed to be legal).

So, in terms of this section of the MI regs, airguns are arguably unregulated for small game hunting, which is common in the US. However, there is a specific requirement for air rifles to be .35 cal or larger when used for taking deer (2.1.4.e). Despite this, it would still be well advisable to stick to the 6-shot limit if using a semi-auto airgun. No sense in taking the legal risk.

Reactions: Gerry52