Anyone else disappointed with the Element Helix scope?

Hi all, just wondering if it's just my older eyes or what, but mounted the "goto" 6-24x50 Helix on one of my rifles after reading reviews on it and boy what a let down. I have a host of scopes from the $200 range up to the $1500 range and frankly, all of my low end scopes are far superior in terms of eye relief, clarify and angle of view. Granted it's built (and weighs) like a tank, but side by side with a couple of the lower end scopes, I'm very disappointed.

Again, maybe just my old age and bad eyes....
-Jimmy

Agreed. The "eye box" is overly restrictive IMO, 2-3 times more than other scopes I have. 

Now granted, I am a hunter, not a paper puncher, so perhaps that all it is. However for field use, it's way too heavy, too restrictive, poor/hazy optics and one can get much better results from scopes less than 1/2 the price. Just my 2 cents worth, but what a disappointment consider all the craze about em.

Live and learn. 

I realize the discussion is around the Element scopes but the subject of eyebox was brought up.

FWIW...I've been using a Gen 2 Hawke Sidewinder FFP for the better part of a year now and it has the best eyebox of any scope I've looked through and I jump at the chance to look through and compare scopes. Glass is very clear. Don't have to use the illuminator on dark targets in dark places for HFT. I can make out a shot up KZ easily. 

Agreed. The "eye box" is overly restrictive IMO, 2-3 times more than other scopes I have. 

Now granted, I am a hunter, not a paper puncher, so perhaps that all it is. However for field use, it's way too heavy, too restrictive, poor/hazy optics and one can get much better results from scopes less than 1/2 the price. Just my 2 cents worth, but what a disappointment consider all the craze about em.

Live and learn.

it certainly is designed for specific style of shooting, mainly long range hunting/target shooting. For closer distances and shooting with holdover there definitely are better scopes at around half the price. It is very likely not the right tool for your use case. I also do not use it for my backyard or anything under 60 yards in distance under normal hunting circumstances. 

Hi all, just wondering if it's just my older eyes or what, but mounted the "goto" 6-24x50 Helix on one of my rifles after reading reviews on it and boy what a let down. I have a host of scopes from the $200 range up to the $1500 range and frankly, all of my low end scopes are far superior in terms of eye relief, clarify and angle of view. Granted it's built (and weighs) like a tank, but side by side with a couple of the lower end scopes, I'm very disappointed.

Again, maybe just my old age and bad eyes....
-Jimmy

I would def. check your cheek rest, I used to use a Vortex, then I switched to a Helix and a titan. They were about the same as far as getting a good sight picture, but I did have to adjust my cheek rest heavily. Nothing has ever beaten how quickly you can get a sight picture sight alignment on a Trijicon Acog. But with that being said shooting airguns I 100% want the more hardcore scope and I have had good luck with the Helix FFP and the Titan. 

I have tried one and yes the glass was hazy and eye relief horrible I use alot of scopes and I am not comparing it to teir 1 glass , but to same price range scopes like swfa 10x arken scopes I tested all on 10x , and hands down I like SFWAs and Arkens scopes were alot better , In fact I dumped the Helix in 2 days It just was not usable for me , This was only one I tried and I wont order any other model . but being I read some complaints I experienced I now am pretty sure they all like one I tested ,LOU

Image quality definitely not Element Optics brand strong point through out their line up.

You better off with an Athlon Argos for the price if you don't care about image quality and desire a better eye box.

Might be alittle better worth what you pay when they go on sale for $299 Helix and $599 Titan and $999 Nexus.

Dealers can offer you such discounted prices if they choose to do so but aren't allowed to advertise less than retail prices.

Just wait for another sale then you get atleast alittle closer value to what you actually get.

The new Hawke H5 Side winder 30 6-24x56 has night and day clearer glass and better eye box than the Helix for $397 at DVOR hurry sale ends real soon regular price $719 with street price of $599. Or just wait it might go on sale again. It just came off of a back to back sale.

I had bad warranty experience with Hawke.

Lucky you didn't buy the Element Titan. You might have been even more disappointed.

People don't want to feel ripped off so of course they will say it's a great scope and make all kinds of excuses why they think it's perfect for their use.

Problem is they are pushing things due to hype and sponsorships and affiliate links aren't so great and the few people who actually appreciate and expect good quality gets pissed while the reviewer got his commission making you buy the crap.

Just buy them when they are on sale this way you won't be as pissed. Speaking of Chinese made items in general.

There are alot of people who are extremely forgiving to mediocre to sub par items for the prices they pay because they never experienced first hand cheaper and often times better quality and rather pay the over inflated high profit generated prices because they can never believe there are cheaper priced alternatives out there or care to wait for a sale.

If paying regular Helix price this one will blow it away if you can live with a 25 yard minimum. Made in China with fantastic glass. Helix and Titan are Chinese too.

If you like Japan glass you will love this one. It's Chinese though but you will think it's got Japanese glass.

https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-gear-supplies/optics-binoculars-scopes-rangefinders/rifle-scopes-red-dots/burris-signature-hd-3-15x44mm-rifle-scope/p/1625541

If you can live with 20x and prefer European optics thats not made in China or Philippines here is another winner that's $386 with 16% off sale. Comes from the same country as JSB pellets. Has 10 yard focus.

If you like Leupold VX3 glass you will love this Meopta for way cheaper.

https://www.sportoptics.com/meopta-optika-5-4-20-50-1032581.html

If you only care of extremely clear and bright glass up to 27x magnification and don't mind semi mushy turrets like Discovery scopes have there is the AIMS Alpha 6 for cheap in the $200 to $300 price range depending where you buy from. I got one in a trade from my Avenger for it. It is damn bright and clear all the way to 27x with an extremely forgiving eye box. It is brighter and very close in clarity as compared the $860 Athlon Ares BTR that retails for over $1000.

It puts many of my higher priced glass to shame.

Negatives mushy turrets no zero stop hard to turn the parallax wheel have to adjust real perfect for crystal clear image at 27x. Turret marking does not like up perfectly just like my SWFA 10x scope. It's at half inbetween clicks.

Positives life time warranty and first rate image quality illumination can actually see during the day time. Comes with sun shade and bikini caps looks like it's built tough has some weight to it.

If the sunshade screws in to a 50mm Athlon it's like getting the scope for a $30 discount.

Realized Discovery and Vector Optics among many other brands are way over priced after using this scope.

I was using it as a spotting scope due to its extreme brightness and clarity and only recently mounted it on a gun.

Which proves the point that it is better to wait,read all you can,which includes powder burner reviews on any scope you are truly interested in...Me ,Sightron,middle to upper Burris and Nikon and the New Hawke Air Max scopes are good....I do not want scopes heavier than 29oz ..and I like a AO....

Also I am becoming aware of a little used fact,not only are peoples eyes different so is the necks,face shapes and nose size...I truly believe that is why we see so many different opinions on better quality scopes.....I mean it can't be optics right?

ShootingNewB

Get ahold of Element Optics warranty support and express your dissatisfaction.

If the Helix has clearer than the new H5 Hawke Side winder 30 glass as Seth0764 just mentioned you most definitely must have gotten a bad one.

Request for a return label so you don't need to incur out of pocket expense to ship it in for warranty exchange.

Have them inspect the replacement for clarity and eye box fussiness before shipping it.

Post how the new replacement Helix compares.

Hopefully the replacement might be better than your cheaper $200 scopes.

If you aren't willing to play the odds you can express your disatisfaction with the vendor whom you purchased it from and just return it for a refund since its going to make you lose money reselling it on the classified if you actually expect it to sell.

If you bought the Helix for $299 from DVOR recently they only issue a credit and no refunds.

The Helix is OK but I feel like it just gets hyped up a bit because of who makes them. The gen 2 Argos is a better scope for basically the same price imo. The new Sidewinder 30 is absolutely better in every aspect BUT cost almost twice as much so that really isn't a fair comparison at all. The Helix glass is absolutely not better than the new Sidewinders... I'm going to assume the other commenter has an older Sidewinder model. I haven't used one of those so I really can't comment further on that.

I had a Helix SFP when they first came out. Quickly returned it. Glass was ok at best, my turrets had some slop to it and the center dot on the reticle was way too big for a SFP scope. I was very disappointed with such a hyped up scope. I'm a full time Athlon fan boy now and my past 5 scopes have all been Athlon and love them. 2 Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42, Midas Tac 4-16x44, Ares ETR UHD 3-18x50 and a Talos BTR 4-14x44 which was a pretty good budget scope my uncle just bought off me. Except I did get an Arken SH4 Gen2 4-16x50 recently for my .22lr and find it a great scope if you don't mind something heavy.

Thanks all for those who've responded. The input is appreciated and certainly provided some food for thought!

While I have a permanently adjusted cheek rest on the rifle where it's mounted currently, the scope is simply not forgiving. The eye box is way too limiting and it's simply not clear optics. I'm older, have poor eyes and for general hunting purposes, it's simply not a good fit and will be finding a new home soon. It just shocked me how poor quality of a scope it is given all the excitement and publicity it's had recently but live and learn!

I'm glad others find them good scopes and like in all things, to each their own and if/when you find something that works for you, stick with it!!