Anyone else disappointed with the DonnyFl Fatboy 2.0?

Let me revisit my opinion of the FB2. As I said, I bought it to moderate and compliment my new FX Wildcat BT compact 22. I liked the idea of keeping everything short/compact.

When I originally put the FB2 on my wildcat, I had it tuned up to run slugs. Reg set close to 150, pushing 23 grain slugs 1025fps. That was LOUD with the FB2, but the Sumo worked great.

I've now tuned it down for pellets, reg set around 95, pushing 15.9g pellets at 900fps. The Fatboy2 is working great with this tune. Still not quite as quiet as the sumo or tanto, but acceptable moderation for sure.

I think DonnyFl makes great products, but the marketing going on via some of the airgun youtube guys is misleading regarding the FB2.

Reactions: SHOMER and Stone02
I have 2 Fat Boys and found that they yield different results based on your caliber/tune. They were "brought back" due to consumer demand. I think they look cool, and work on some, but not all of my needs. I like short, so if it does a "good enough" job and keeps the overall length down, it's the one I use. I suppose one can use an Emperor for all your guns and it should be quiet enough. 😜

Is this overkill?
Rexigrass 3.jpg

I was talking with Neil Clague and asked what his recommendation would be for a .22cal. He said that the skinny moderators in the 30mm/1.2" range work better than moderators with a larger diameter. In my experience, I've also confirmed this. I'm not sure why though. For .25cal and .30cal, moderators in the 40mm/1.6" or 50mm range work better. Also, having the appropriate sized exit hole will quiet things down.

Reactions: ChRiSiS
I was talking with Neil Clague and asked what his recommendation would be for a .22cal. He said that the skinny moderators in the 30mm/1.2" range work better than moderators with a larger diameter. In my experience, I've also confirmed this. I'm not sure why though. For .25cal and .30cal, moderators in the 40mm/1.6" or 50mm range work better. Also, having the appropriate sized exit hole will quiet things down.
This also fits with my experience. In general longer moderators seem to work better than short, fat ones, even if the internal volumes are the same. I can think of a few reasons why this might be so for airguns, given that the speed of the outgoing gas is more of an issue than the pressure (unlike with say, a firearm suppressor) but thinking through the physics of it all makes my head hurt, so I just go with “Longer better than fatter, all other things being equal”.

And yes, this only applies to airguns…

A very important factor in noise level is your tune. If you are tuned on the plateau and wasting air, it is going to take a lot of moderator to quiet the gun. If you are tuned around the knee or lower, you'll get decent performance from 'normal' sized moderators.

I've had the same experience as others - length is the most important factor for moderator performance. I think the Tanto, DonnyFL FX, and Sumo are probably the most practical sizes in the Donny range. The DonnyFL FX mod is a nice size and is under appreciated.

A very important factor in noise level is your tune. If you are tuned on the plateau and wasting air, it is going to take a lot of moderator to quiet the gun. If you are tuned around the knee or lower, you'll get decent performance from 'normal' sized moderators.

I've had the same experience as others - length is the most important factor for moderator performance. I think the Tanto, DonnyFL FX, and Sumo are probably the most practical sizes in the Donny range. The DonnyFL FX mod is a nice size and is under appreciated.
Right now the fx moderator size is the best working mod for my HP tuned uragans..even better than the sumo n shogun..will call them to see if they could make me one with a smaller hole for the .177 ..but yes is under appreciated n they go for sheep .

I own several different moderators from DonnyFl, ranging from the Tanto all the way up to the Emperor. All have done what I've expected them to do---until now.

I bought a Fatboy 2.0 for my new FX Wildcat 22 BT compact. I thought the shortness of the Fatboy and it's diameter would be a 'perfect' match for my little compact rifle.

Boy was I wrong. I feel ripped off. It's LOUD when compared to even the little Tanto. I have both a Sumo and Tanto in 22/25 and they are much more effective.

Dramatically so.

I'm curious if others that purchased the Fatboy 2.0 out there are disappointed as me.

I used the 22/25 insert rather than the 177/22 to avoid any possible clipping. I'll try the other insert tomorrow and see if it makes any difference, but I seriously doubt it.
GA_LeadHead, Thanks for expressing your concerns on the FB 2.0. I think I will go a different direction after reading all the replies to your post.

Yeah, same here.
Tried it on several guns with less than desired results. Didn't hardly even match my little Huma M30 on rifles. But it...did... work sorta ok on my AP16 ! I normally have a Huma M30, two segment on my AP16 pistol. The Fat Boy is slightly quieter. But adding the third segment to the Huma, and they are almost equal.

And yes...I did e-mail Donny. I mentioned that I have other Donny products and am happy with them. But not so much with the new Fat Boy, and...about my experiments on different guns.
Their comments back were about actual DB measurements ! Well...I had to tell them about my 20 years in the Aerospace Industry (one company), and my time working in two different acoustic chambers. And that the cheap ($25 to $175) DB meters that most use are all but worthless as far as accuracy is concerned. And that I didn't even have to ask my exboss's (I'm retired) about doing some testing in the smaller chamber...NO...guns allowed on campus !
That ended my conversation with Donny.

So now, my Fat Boy rests on the end of my, cut down, Walther Reign. Does it help quiet the bark...yeah...some.

Mike

I own several different moderators from DonnyFl, ranging from the Tanto all the way up to the Emperor. All have done what I've expected them to do---until now.

I bought a Fatboy 2.0 for my new FX Wildcat 22 BT compact. I thought the shortness of the Fatboy and it's diameter would be a 'perfect' match for my little compact rifle.

Boy was I wrong. I feel ripped off. It's LOUD when compared to even the little Tanto. I have both a Sumo and Tanto in 22/25 and they are much more effective.

Dramatically so.

I'm curious if others that purchased the Fatboy 2.0 out there are disappointed as me.

I used the 22/25 insert rather than the 177/22 to avoid any possible clipping. I'll try the other insert tomorrow and see if it makes any difference, but I seriously doubt it.
I have the fatboy on a 177 agt vixen so it work fine on that but its not very effective on my 22 cal FX Impact unless i stick the extension on it

I didn't buy the FB2 for its looks and length but rather out of curiosity and for comparison with the Sumo and Ronin on my M3 Impact.
Using it with the added extender tube and muzzle break it gives me the best performance out of all other DFL's.
It's very quiet and more importantly has minimal mechanical feedback through the gun.
Using the dual inserts muzzle break (purchased separately from DFL) improves accuracy over all my other moderators.
However, I wouldn't recommend using it without the addons, but if you can handle the enormous size of all 3 sections it's a great system.