• In order to send private messages to other members, you must have a minimum of 10 posts on the site.

Anyone else disappointed with the DonnyFl Fatboy 2.0?

Let me revisit my opinion of the FB2. As I said, I bought it to moderate and compliment my new FX Wildcat BT compact 22. I liked the idea of keeping everything short/compact.

When I originally put the FB2 on my wildcat, I had it tuned up to run slugs. Reg set close to 150, pushing 23 grain slugs 1025fps. That was LOUD with the FB2, but the Sumo worked great.

I've now tuned it down for pellets, reg set around 95, pushing 15.9g pellets at 900fps. The Fatboy2 is working great with this tune. Still not quite as quiet as the sumo or tanto, but acceptable moderation for sure.

I think DonnyFl makes great products, but the marketing going on via some of the airgun youtube guys is misleading regarding the FB2.

I have 2 Fat Boys and found that they yield different results based on your caliber/tune. They were "brought back" due to consumer demand. I think they look cool, and work on some, but not all of my needs. I like short, so if it does a "good enough" job and keeps the overall length down, it's the one I use. I suppose one can use an Emperor for all your guns and it should be quiet enough. 😜

Is this overkill?
Rexigrass 3.jpg

Reactions: L.Leon

Harv24

Jun 19, 2021
WI, United States
    I had a chance to burrow a Donny SUMO to use on my .22 Cayden last year. Not as quiet as I had hoped. I then made a home made one from PVC with three chambers and wrapped in 3m scratch pads that was quieter. I then bought a HUMA 40mm and that was even better. So I never jumped on the Donny train. Just my experience.

Reactions: hristoss
    I was talking with Neil Clague and asked what his recommendation would be for a .22cal. He said that the skinny moderators in the 30mm/1.2" range work better than moderators with a larger diameter. In my experience, I've also confirmed this. I'm not sure why though. For .25cal and .30cal, moderators in the 40mm/1.6" or 50mm range work better. Also, having the appropriate sized exit hole will quiet things down.

Reactions: ChRiSiS

ChRiSiS

May 6, 2020
    CT, United States
      I was talking with Neil Clague and asked what his recommendation would be for a .22cal. He said that the skinny moderators in the 30mm/1.2" range work better than moderators with a larger diameter. In my experience, I've also confirmed this. I'm not sure why though. For .25cal and .30cal, moderators in the 40mm/1.6" or 50mm range work better. Also, having the appropriate sized exit hole will quiet things down.
      This also fits with my experience. In general longer moderators seem to work better than short, fat ones, even if the internal volumes are the same. I can think of a few reasons why this might be so for airguns, given that the speed of the outgoing gas is more of an issue than the pressure (unlike with say, a firearm suppressor) but thinking through the physics of it all makes my head hurt, so I just go with “Longer better than fatter, all other things being equal”.

And yes, this only applies to airguns…

Reactions: Peskadot671
      A very important factor in noise level is your tune. If you are tuned on the plateau and wasting air, it is going to take a lot of moderator to quiet the gun. If you are tuned around the knee or lower, you'll get decent performance from 'normal' sized moderators.

I've had the same experience as others - length is the most important factor for moderator performance. I think the Tanto, DonnyFL FX, and Sumo are probably the most practical sizes in the Donny range. The DonnyFL FX mod is a nice size and is under appreciated.

Reactions: ChRiSiS