Anybody own a Liberty Safe?

Not sure what the problem is. No different than if a police wanted into your apartment and the landlord refused until they got a warrant. They got the warrant and were obligated to comply. Why should Liberty Safe fight the warrant when they have no direct responsibility to you? Sometimes you people amaze me.

Liberty wasn’t the owner of the safe, so any warrant would not have been applicable to them, only the actual owner of the safe. It would have taken a subpoena or court order for the manufacturer to open it.

Besides, Liberty admitted they never even saw the warrant, they received a general request from the Feds and gave them the code without hesitation. As outlined in their policies.

They have a new opt-out system now that allows you to expunge the master code from their database, but they also said that if you don’t do this then they’ll still give up your code whenever they’re asked. But you also lose the ability for them to get into your safe if you lose the code.

My understanding is the warrant did not specifically name the safe but Liberty gave the code anyway. I also read that Liberty Safe's parent company gives to anti 2A causes. There is a big discussion on a firearm website I belong too. I have not verified this information from an official source but people are having fun with it.

1694612502916.jpeg

1694612627654.png

1694612703317.jpeg

Does Liberty have a backdoor access code so even if you change your code they will have a master code? If se even without cooperating with the law, crooked employees, breeches of their security would potential leave all customers at risk! Maybe all the codes are on sale on the dark web.

BTW I do have a Liberty safe with with Sargent and Green keypad lock. Maybe I should replace the lock with something else.
I think you should contact S&G. Ask them the following:
  1. where the Management Reset Code can be found and if it's different for every keypad. Because if it's the same for every keypad, that means anyone can get into your safe without having to drill it.
  2. how to change it

Reactions: Smitty911
Apple computers have the same risk. If presented with the right paperwork Apple will give the feds access to your computers and smartphones. It's a sign of the times nothing more, nothing less.
They can already see what ever you do as far as online and also everyone is tracked by the cell phone and it listens to you as well

Reactions: drpietrzak
Not sure what the problem is. No different than if a police wanted into your apartment and the landlord refused until they got a warrant. They got the warrant and were obligated to comply. Why should Liberty Safe fight the warrant when they have no direct responsibility to you? Sometimes you people amaze me.
Yes you people amaze me too sometimes 😂😂

Reactions: balver
After the recent raid in Arkansas, Libery is under the gun ( pardon the pun) and rightfully so. I own one and thought I was the only one that could get into it but it seems Liberty will hand over an access code to the three letter agencies so they can open your safe without a warrant.
thats good to know. being a gun safe company you think they would advocate for the gun owners, and require a warrant. just handing it over of a government agency asks is clearly stating who's side the companies on.

thanks for the info will think twice when considering a new safe

If the authorities want into your safe, legally, they are getting in. The only questions are "Do you want to be able to use the safe after? and What kind of mess do you want to clean up?".

If the authorities want into your safe, legally, they are getting in. The only questions are "Do you want to be able to use the safe after? and What kind of mess do you want to clean up?".
You are unquestionably correct. However, if it were me in that situation, I would like to be the one making the decision, and I would definitely NOT want the safe manufacturer taking it upon themselves to make that choice for me.

Liberty Safe deserves all of the criticism they are now receiving and they have become outcasts (and rightly so) among those who would purchase safes.

That was kind of them to get the code and just open it. 👍 I used to just push them over on their back and sledge and hooligan the door open by bending the jamb out of the bolts. When that failed just grab the demo saw and let it rip...I don't see the big deal
The big deal is that the safe company made that decision for him.

I find most safe are not the safe at all. A safe is only as strong as its weakest point. Other than the door, most safes are tin cans on the other 5 sides that can be easily opened with a reciprocating saw or cutoff wheel on a angle grinder. Don't buy all the BS about how many beefy door bolts there are or the door thickness.

That said with a Liberty it even easier to just ask for the code.

I view mine as to only slow down the thieves, stop children and protect against fires that last less than 30 mins.

Reactions: dv8eod and dorcula
Have any of you made your own safe? I've been thinking this through recently. Safe material, check. Hinges, check. I'm still a little unsure of what I'll do for the locking mechanism, but I'm getting there. Maybe a Bowley lock.
Building a safe is not an easy endeavor. You have to weld or have the body of the safe bent, you have to work out a decent hinge arrangement, it’s really heavy work, and then you have to figure out how to get the bolts and locking mechanism to work in unison and smoothly.

And that doesn’t even include sourcing and cutting the steel, which is no easy task, especially if you use something worthwhile like 1/4 steel plate.

There’s just a ton of work involved. Really, it’s much better and easier to just buy a safe with the knowledge that it’s just to prevent children and petty criminals from running off with stuff that isn’t locked up.

Trust me, I know from experience. It’s A LOT of work.

And if you want to avoid safe companies like Liberty from divulging sensitive information, simply replace the electronic lock with a mechanical one where you select the combination.

Building a safe is not an easy endeavor. You have to weld or have the body of the safe bent, you have to work out a decent hinge arrangement, it’s really heavy work, and then you have to figure out how to get the bolts and locking mechanism to work in unison and smoothly.

And that doesn’t even include sourcing and cutting the steel, which is no easy task, especially if you use something worthwhile like 1/4 steel plate.

There’s just a ton of work involved. Really, it’s much better and easier to just buy a safe with the knowledge that it’s just to prevent children and petty criminals from running off with stuff that isn’t locked up.

Trust me, I know from experience. It’s A LOT of work.

And if you want to avoid safe companies like Liberty from divulging sensitive information, simply replace the electronic lock with a mechanical one where you select the combination.
Ah well, this project is well underway now. Should be complete around Christmas time.