Umarex Anybody install the Notos plenum kit?

Has anyone measured the sound level of the stock moderator vs whatever moderator they are swapping for? Curious what this change out buys you.
Chris
Measuring sound levels aren’t always the best way to determine sound. I for one prefer the dull thud to the high click. Sometimes the dull thud may register louder, but to me, it seems quieter.

When I buy moderators, the dull thud is what I’m looking for. Probably the reason I dislike bullpups. That click of the hammer next to your ear just makes me feel like the whole gun is loud.

"Measuring sound levels aren’t always the best way to determine sound. I for one prefer the dull thud to the high click. Sometimes the dull thud may register louder, but to me, it seems quieter.

When I buy moderators, the dull thud is what I’m looking for. Probably the reason I dislike bullpups. That click of the hammer next to your ear just makes me feel like the whole gun is loud."

Hence my request for "A" weighting.
Chris

Okay guys I didn't get the request to do the dB reading til after I destroyed the oem moderator. I got my readings in a way that made sense to me at the time. Apologize in advance if this isn't useful.

I had no idea what weights were but I think the dB reader I got only does in A weight so that's good for you who request that. Also another disclaimer is that I only have one moderator with 1/2-20 threads so I just have the one to compare to but more on that later..

Here is the meter I got

Okay so I did 2 positions per configuration. I shot 5 times for each test to get an average (sorry didn't do 10 shots).

1st- since I'm the one shooting I didn't put the meter 10 feet away or anything what I did was hold the gun like normal but with the front on a rest and I used my left hand to wrap under the stock and hold the meter directly by my right ear. I figured this would be like reading the sound I hear. Mic pointed up not at the muzzle cause idk I didn't think about it but that's how all tests were done so it was fair.

2nd was holding Notos like normal with the front in a rest again and I held the meter parallel to the barrel and had the mic next to the muzzle pointing downrange. Figured this would be loudest and also would pick up on if any reduction in dB since it's by the source.

For all tests I was outside so there were birds and wind and stuff but I had the meter going and then I got the Peak readings. For all tests I was shooting FX Atomics 15.9 gr.

First test: I didn't mess with hammer spring jjst shot like out of the box it was about a half turn in from flush out going at 739 FPS for "OEM configuration"

Okay here's OEM results:
By my ear average was 78.76 dB
By the muzzle was 85.16 dB

Next after I tore off the OEM moderator I did not have the bushing in yet but I did install the plenum kit.

Here's with NO LDC, I only shot twice b/c didn't need to bug neighbors
Peak by ear: 83.9 dB
By muzzle: 87.1

Results were weird the Notos was shooting just less than 700 FPS but the HS was in the same spot. Thought I'd gain fps with the plenum but I played with it later.

Anyway here is results I only have a Buck Rail TAPERED LDC so that's what I used going forward. I bought the tapered cause it looked extremely similar to the OEM Notos moderator, thought it would work.

Buck rail tapered no bushing installed, hammer spring same half turn in

By ear: 80.2 dB
By muzzle: 85.7 dB

Then I was playing with the hammer spring and weirdly I couldn't get it to shoot faster than ~740 fps or so but thats about how it shot without the plenum. So I added the bushing to get more spring tension. Then I went up to 755.56 fps average and that was with no HS tension (back out all the way)

With those settings:
By ear: 81.52 dB
Muzzle: 86.36 dB

So if you're keeping track you'll see the same thing I did.... the oem moderator was quieter! I know how you tune can affect how long the valve is open and if open too long it'll put more air out and be louder, so I'm thinking it was not balanced but I did play with it a bit and this is all I could get.

So long story short I just ordered a NON tapered Buck Rail now because that should be quieter since it has more space inside. Tapered looks original but oh well I'd rather have the functionality.

E9730384-FF33-42F8-87B4-34315D4BAF25.jpeg

I’ll be trying this out tomorrow. Finished install of kit. Now leak testing overnight.

Outstanding! Good info there. This is a perfect time to really come together as a group and see what all these different LDC's do. I have a SLM as well and will get some measurements as I go along.
Thanks much!
Chris
Once my non tapered Buck Rail comes I will do a test then too. But that's probably all I will have to contribute as far as LDCs go. Lol

I would be interested to hear about others results before/after plenum install for FPS without and then with the bushing too.

Mine was shooting about 739 fps with Atomics before plenum and that's like a half turn in with hammer spring.

After my plenum it was reading below 700 at the same HS. I had to go in all the way to get similar fps.

Then with bushing I have zero HS and get 756 or so FPS! Same ~28 shots on the regulator at these settings as with no plenum. Very interesting stuff.

PS no I didn't adjust the regulator.

EDIT : The seller contacted me and suggested I check out the o rings because these numbers are way low. I just tore the Notos apart again and yes my 2 outer barrel o rings were chewed up. Will have to order more and go from there.

I don't think the leaky o rings would affect my dB reader reading much because the loss of air is on the inside of the shroud/block and me changing hammer spring settings and adding the bushing would just shove more air out the area where the o rings were chewed BUT I will try to measure with dB reader again after I install new o rings. Maybe it'll be better once it's fixed and all the air goes out the muzzle instead of some going in the shroud or block area. We will see.

Last edited:
Mine is in the mail probably gonna install this weekend. Following to see what others think!

I will say that before mine arrives, in speaking with @cfs916 I am confident it will be a good purchase that should make the Notos go up to its max potential without doing anything big like a bottle mod. He said the kit only adds 3.5 oz and I believe it won't make it front heavy like a bottle could. Plus you can remove whatever LDC you pick (with right one could make it even quieter) and that's easier cleaning and makes it shorter for storage. Probably too loud to shoot without but at least then if someone is doing a pistol version not carbine it'll be shorter just a loud big revolver size unlike OEM pistol size. PS I picked a Buck Rail tapered version because it's outer dimensions and how it looks are basically identical to the OEM mod, (it is actually slightly thinner in diameter). Hoping it's gonna quiet the Notos enough.

Has anyone figured out the best way to depressurize? I would say shoot til empty but I've heard the poppet or some internal part can crack if shot with no pressure resistance. Gonna have to get the air out to install the kit.
Mine is in the mail probably gonna install this weekend. Following to see what others think!

I will say that before mine arrives, in speaking with @cfs916 I am confident it will be a good purchase that should make the Notos go up to its max potential without doing anything big like a bottle mod. He said the kit only adds 3.5 oz and I believe it won't make it front heavy like a bottle could. Plus you can remove whatever LDC you pick (with right one could make it even quieter) and that's easier cleaning and makes it shorter for storage. Probably too loud to shoot without but at least then if someone is doing a pistol version not carbine it'll be shorter just a loud big revolver size unlike OEM pistol size. PS I picked a Buck Rail tapered version because it's outer dimensions and how it looks are basically identical to the OEM mod, (it is actually slightly thinner in diameter). Hoping it's gonna quiet the Notos enough.

Has anyone figured out the best way to depressurize? I would say shoot til empty but I've heard the poppet or some internal part can crack if shot with no pressure resistance. Gonna have to get the air out to install the kit.
I see I can purchase just the plenum. Can I purchase, install and avoid screwing with the barrel and suppressor? Will it imped filling air into the gun. All I want is more shots. What’s the downside? Looks?

I see I can purchase just the plenum. Can I purchase, install and avoid screwing with the barrel and suppressor? Will it imped filling air into the gun. All I want is more shots. What’s the downside? Looks?
The plenum will add 1-3/4” to the length of the air cylinder. I installed the gauge block which added 3/4” or so to the length of the tube and only had to cut a little bite away to clear the OEM moderator. The plenum would require cutting a lot more off. Whether it would affect the integrity of the OEM moderator or not cutting that much off I’m not sure. Personally I’d just get the entire plenum kit and remove the OEM moderator and use the adapters for an aftermarket moderator.
I bought the kit specifically for the adapters. I didn’t see/realize he sold the adapters separately or maybe he started selling them separately after I bought the kit not sure. I don’t plan to use the plenum so it you want mine PM me.

IMG_2521.jpeg

Reactions: EmptyTin_Tim
Thank you for the offer of the plenum, its very kind of you. I received my notos last night and viewed a youtube video on making the change. It scared the hell out of me. Do you know anyone I can have do it for me? I have another week or so waiting on the Carm magazines so I'm not being put out. I live in So Cal I could ship today. BTW I can't get the OEM mag to insert in the gun, its total garbage.

To depressurize I shoot the gun down till 1kpsi then use an adjustable wrench on the pressure gauge. Only loosen it enough until you hear air leaking and wait till it bleeds out completely. Turn it very slow and a little at a time
I tried removing a gauge from my airgun with an adjustable wrench and ovaled the gauge housing. I recommend using a 6 point socket.

The OEM mag takes some fiddling to get it to insert. It’s like a USB stick, it’ll always go in the third time you try it, lol.

Whenever I try to manually position the mag it doesn’t seem to line up correctly, so you gotta kinda let it align itself in the breech opening.
Amen bro, I received my Notos last night and I still can’t get the mag to insert. Got Carms on order. It reminds me of my 72 year old sex life, got to fiddle with it to get it to insert.