• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anybody culling nutria?

I hunted Nutria as a kid in Oregon in the 70's, They had been released by fur farmers when the bottom fell out. Rapidly took over anywhere there was water and swamp land. Great fun to hunt and lots of action. They ruin dikes and riverbanks, cause floods and are a terrible pest like ground squirrels, ground hogs, etc. i'd bet most states would love to have help getting rid of them. have fun.

stewie I see your from Oregon , back in the early 80's I hunted them in Scappose in the irrigation canals (lots of them) but haven't been there in years . The area I hunted was next to the Multnomah Channel . Just find the pump station I helped to install & your on your way, be sure to check with the local farmers because most of the land is private. I really doubt that money can be made off of them but anything is possible . Got my first kill with the puncher breaker on one of those water rats a month or two ago. I will go after them next week & also crows when the weather clears up . Good luck Darell

Socaloldman I assume you moved south to SoCal (I'm brilliant that way) since the 70s. The nutria are still here, though I think the coyotes might have made a dent.

Kayaker, are you still in Oregon? I probably need to check the regs, but I assume nutria are fair game on private property so long as you've got permission. Eager get some long range shots with my AA .25.

stewie sorry for the late response I live in S.W.. now ,check with ODFW for the regs. you still might need a hunting license .Think you will have more shorter shots than longer ones depending where you catch them in water canals . When you find there holes in the side banks (if its dry out) if you see their entrance wet you know their using them- good place to watch. Just because you hunt on private prop.or on your own land doesn't mean you do not need a license. Best of luck with the water rats Darell

Funny, until recently I had never heard of them. Going through the hunting regs here in Florida, I see rules for nutria, and didn't know what they were. I looked it up. Yup, they are here in the Everglades and surrounds. Look like oversized rats to me. You can have my share forever.

The first one I ever saw was in a carnival way back being displayed as the "World's Biggest Rat".