• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Any value to our disciplines? ShotKam

Percula

Sep 6, 2016
AZ
Now that I'm also getting into trap shooting, I stumbled on a great tool for clay shooters https://shotkam.com/

Briefly it mounts under the barrel and is adjusted for POA. It's motion activated, so for example on a break barrel shoot gun when you close the action it starts recording. It "records" till it feels the recoil of a shot. In reality what is does is buff the video and saves off a little bit before and after the shot. It is recording in HD at 120fps with a 4x magnification. In watching videos on YouTube you can see the shot/wad.

It's great for clay shooters as it tracks your POA and shows the results. Okay clay shooting is all about the swing of the gun, airgun not so much lol.

Is suspect it will also show the pellet. But with airgun shooting disciplines not being swing oriented I'm not sure it has value. But then again we are always looking for the why of flyers. If you can see 7 1/2 shot pellets moving at 1200fps+ pretty sure we would be able to see a larger single pellet moving at less than 1000fps. If it could be setup to work with a airgun or not, I don't know. But it might be interesting to be able to see the pellet and rather or not your POA jumped before firing.

I joined a trap league that starts in April and run (10) weeks. I will decide after the league is over how much I'm going to invest in trap shooting. If I decide to "go for it" the ShotKam will be a purchase fairly high up the list. So if I end up getting one or getting my hands on one, I will play with it on the airguns.

In the mean time, what do you all think?

Cool tool ! wish I had one of them back in my sporting clay days. In addition to what socaloldman mentioned, you would be able to get a better idea of trajectories and how well your pellet is performing at specific fps, as in, does it have wobble. Look forward to seeing some vids from you percula of your pellets in flight. Goodluck on your new shooting discipline, I did it for yrs and it is as fun as you make it. Dale