• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Any suggestions for pellet weight for elk?

Hi all,

I am new here so please be kind.

I just picked up my tag for a short range cow elk hunt. I have a stock Airforce Texan .457 that I picked up used so I am assuming that it is stock. It is deadly on ground squirrels out to about 80 yards so I am sure that I can hit an elk. I have shot several elk with muzzleloaders and 300-444 grain bullets and round balls and they go down nicely. I am confident that I can get to within 50-60 yards but would like to have a pellet that would fly a little farther if needed. I do not want to upgrade to the AAO or TX2.

Any opinions would be appreciated

Thanks from Idaho

WOW! Certainly a challenge out of norm. Thought 6.5 creedmoor was a bit under powered on Elk. 

only thing I can add is probably stay away from pellets and use heavy solid slugs the air force is designed to use. 

get the 350g slugs while you can, NSA will be out of commission for a while but many places still sell the solid hunting slugs.

https://utahairguns.com/nielsen-specialty-457-50-pcs/

Edit: to be able to hunt elk successfully with muzzle loader you certainly have mad hutting/stalking skills!

I have shot deer with both my sam yang 909s light hunter .45 and my af texan .457. Although I have not personally shot an elk with either I was able to help a friend pack an idaho elk out that he did shoot with his af texan. He shoots 350 gr hpbt nsas. Neck shot his bull and it didn't take another step. 

I shoot the 254 gr nsas while deer hunting and they work the best for me. 

I have killed elk with every legal hunting weapon except and air rifle so take this for what it’s worth. I would Elk hunt without a second thought with my .457 Texan CF Carbine or .510 Hammer.

what slug are you using on ground squirrels?

If I were hunting elk with air rifle I would stick to the yardages you talked about and take broadside “double lung” shots only. This slug would be my first choice in a .457 Texan as long is it shot well in my gun.

from Mr. Hollowpoint

B67C056F-27E0-4599-9B54-9078C65C53DF.1626546899.jpeg

or maybe this

A4DED0B9-6232-4353-A7AB-6DC15F75D0BA.1626547396.jpeg

NSA has some great choices as well but Availability may be an issue right now with their moving to Missouri.

anyway.. I wish you well on your hunt. I would treat it like and archery hunt.

Good Luck! Keep us posted.. bring back some pictures please

Chuck

bowhunter87,

That is exactly what I am looking for. First hand account of an elk hitting the ground. Thanks!

Chuck,

I shoot ground squirrels with round balls or 225 grain hp that I got from ebay. Both cheap plinking ammo. I plan to order some bullets in the 320-400 grain range and see how they fly. I am not sure about the 490 grain in my stock 3000 psi texan. All of the tests that I have seen on the heavier 400+ bullets have been in tuned modified rifles. I will only take a clean shot, double lung or head. I have from august 15 to November 30 so I am confident that I can get it done.

Thanks,

Rocky

No experience but a suggestion of how to select. Accuracy is first, only accurate projectiles should be considered. But the other criteria I would use is penetration in wet newsprint. Since few people, including me, read newspapers any more I have been using magazines which I think are a little tougher. I would want to see at least close to 18 inches penetration in wet newsprint. Perhaps an inch or two less in wet magazines. I tested loads from my 30-06 years ago. 180 grain nosler partition would penetrate 18 inches. 180 grain hornady interlocks only make about 15.

I think trajectory is less important than accuracy and adequate penetration. But if a lighter projectile is accurate and penetrates enough then it could be what you want.

E16E9530-F3D3-4FEC-936F-CBD36ED34459.1628555321.jpeg
I have been busy lately but I did get to do a little redneck ballistic gel testing today. 
390 grain hp on the right 

350 grain bthp

round ball on the left 

nice mushroom on both hp bullets. No change to the ball

redneck ballistic gel is the mud on the side of my pond. All 3 penetrated about a foot in fairly dry mud. 

next step is to see how straight they fly. 

season starts Sunday