• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Anschutz Any Shooter with Anschutz Match Mod 220

Any owner/shooters of Anschutz Match Mod 220 air rifles in this group? Looking for information based on use and hands-on experiences. Hopefully there will be shooters and gunsmiths who can share their knowledge.

Warning: Long Post. Photos to follow.

I recently acquired one by auction in very nice condition. It appears this rifle was either used very little or was handled with extreme care. The bluing is intact and no real wear in areas where you would expect to see worn spots from handling during use. When I took the action out of the stock, I observed no rust or excessive oil. Appears it was stored in a very protected environment. I saw only minor residue from aged storage throughout. Given available info, this gun is 50-60ish year old and appears new. Appears everything looks original. Only obvious flaw was a missing screw (the middle one, of the three “Zylinderschraube“ “cylinder screw”). Like me, at this vintage, I suspect parts are in need of servicing or replacement.

I have cleaned the surfaces and lubricated the obvious lube points. Ran a bore snake thru the bore. Everything is clean and shiny. I also fabricated a screw to replace the missing action screw. The micro sight set (item No.6702 ) was cleaned and put away. In its place, I installed a picatinny rail with a SWFA fixed 20x scope and started shooting it.

So… following are observations from shooting it and hope to hear your feedback on what I can do to evaluate better my observations and possible fixes…

I noticed the trigger was very light. It didn’t feel right at all. It had a very long take-up like a two-stage but with no “wall” between first and second. Also it had on two occasions discharged when I was closing the lever or had just closed it. For sure the trigger setting was not safe.

I adjusted to the near max limit and got it to feel like a very light single stage. No take up, just release when pulled. But, it still feels like it is under one pound. Still not confident it is yet a “safe trigger”. At the prior setting, it would release when I smack the butt with my palm. Will test further when I can set up a safer test environment. This trigger is different from the ones on my Mod 54 and 64, and not so sure what to expect. Is getting it up to a two pound pull possible? How can I test the pull without the need to load a pellet each time? Safe to dry fire this gun?

As to accuracy, at 10 meter, it will hit a 10m pistol target in the black. It will not group inside the black on a rifle target. Could be the variable of my pellets too. But my concern is the apparent lack of power. On a few occasions the pellet will not even reach the pellet trap at the 10m distance… I was shooting in my hallway and happen chance it was over a light colored carpet and I saw the pellet on the floor. Additionally, the pellets fired will not penetrate the ¼ inch cardboard backing material. The pellets also will not consistently punch a clean hole on the tag board weight target I was using. I ended up using only 7.4gr pellets due to my concern that my heavier pellets may get stuck in the bore. Early on, I tried an 8.44 JSB and it was stuck at the muzzle.

So… worn seals? Just need breaking in some more to get old grease and springs moving or back onto seals? Will take the cylinder apart later to see the condition of the parts inside. I have an owner’s manual that describes taking the cylinder apart, but don’t know much about how to actually do it. No YouTube like instructions. Any pointers and what to look for once I got it apart be appreciated.

I was told this gun is just one spare part away from being a wall hanger. Hopefully not. I am hoping someone may know of sources for parts to replace worn parts. Hopefully other guns may have parts that is close enough and I or another can modify to make the gun work.

So… anyone knows a gunsmith or competent gun hacker who can service this gun if it is beyond just cleaning and part swapping?

Appreciate and thanks for those who read all this and can provide input.

Bob H
Tacoma WA

B8B17F69-F721-4644-BE8E-7B49FBEB2626.jpeg

CDAA3264-C2C9-4E60-88DC-820DC144CAC1.jpeg

44D177D6-1750-4D98-B006-F419D677D64D.jpeg

11CB1C34-1802-47FC-8D3B-C55176C6DB73.jpeg

7C0AD4A6-78A6-4B19-B44E-0F4D12AE15A5.jpeg

It looks to be in place, the black surface at the front of the compression cylinder should be it.
The pic with the cocking lever retracted and the breech open shows it in place.
View attachment 466292
Thanks… I was getting inconsistent power so thinking that may be one of the causes… also wondering if a fresh one should be installed?