• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Any rumors about a new Edgun Matador?

I am curious on this also, would think they would update the Lelya 2 when they update the Matador due to the operating system being almost the same. I just want the Matador to be offered in 30 CAL in the USA. Hope for that on the next generation. I like this design because they are "out of the box great" from the get go. People buy them and replace the reg to Huma and enjoy. Those Leshiy 2s are money pits of upgrades for people to be happy with them. At least that is what it seems on the boards and the classifieds. I decided on Huben for this very reason. It's stock, shoots fast, is quiet and I just set it and forget it and it's a hunter killer. Fantastic and cheaper. 

Regarding any news about an upcoming R6... a while back Ed said he was going to avoid dropping hints and teaser info about future product development until it was ready to ship because of all the complaining and nagging and people getting upset when the "deadlines" were missed... so I'm not surprised there hasn't been much info about a possible R6. I'm sure it's being worked on, but I don't expect Ed to release any sneak peak pictures or videos and instead just one day announce "here it is, and it will be at dealers this week."

I've only had Edguns for a long time now... an R2.5 .22, then an R3 .22, then an R3 .25, then an R3M .22 and R3M .25, and now an R5M .25. Also have a Leshiy in .22 that's been solid.

Ed's build quality has always been great-- the designs are simple and robust with low parts count and they're very user friendly to work on. His guns just flat out work even if the triggers might not be as light as some people like, the cocking action on the multishots is rougher than say Daystate or FX sidelever actions, etc. Doing a reseal and rebuild on a friend's FX Crown and having little parts spread everywhere was quite a rude awakening compared to how simple it is to work on an Edgun.

After all these years running Edguns I'm finally going to try something different and have an Impact M3 on order. Compared to Ed's relatively simple and elegant designs the parts count with the FX is sky high, and many portions of the M3 design look rather fragile compared to the R5M I currently have. If I accidentally dropped my R5M out hunting I would have no worries about just dusting it off and finding it still working perfectly and zeroed. On the other hand, if I were to accidentally drop the M3 I'd be very worried about zero retention and if everything is still OK and undamaged (see the recent post about the M3 that arrived with a bent top plate and pinched mag well that no longer accepts a magazine because the package may have been dropped butt first during shipping... oops.)

Only reason I have the M3 on order is that I want to play with slugs and my current .25 R5M and slugs do *not* get along. At least with the FX it's easy to swap barrel liners, they have dedicated slug liners, and it seems to be relatively easy to get them shooting slugs well. My R5M would need a custom barrel at the very least to experiment with slugs, and then there's the issue of the Edgun magazines with the o-rings specifically designed to hold onto pellets between the head and skirt that don't want to retain slugs very well.

Ed did mention a couple years ago when asked about making his barrels more slug friendly that he had no interest in doing so until a large manufacturer was producing consistent slugs that he could design a barrel around. With JSB and H&N now making slugs I bet Ed is now working on a slug barrel and rifle-- but we probably won't know about it until he's satisfied and it's ready to ship. I feel pretty confident that the R6 will have a version set up for slugs.

I'm both looking forward to and dreading going from using only Edgun for years to the FX M3... I'm sure the M3 will shoot well and is extremely tunable and I rather enjoy that tuning process, but the M3 exploded diagram and parts count shows what appears to be a completely opposite design philosophy from Ed's minimal parts count design simplicity-- and I'm expecting the M3 to require a *lot* more fiddling and maintenance over the years than the far simpler R5M.

That being said, I'm very much looking forward to the R6... but I'm also hoping it doesn't end up borrowing too much from the Leshiy 2. What I do hope to see is something similar to the R5M but with available slug barrel options, a smoother cocking lever arrangement, a breech locking setup that's stronger than the current spring loaded latch arrangement that occasionally pops open at higher muzzle energies unless you add extra latch springs, and magazines more suited to holding slugs.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what Ed comes up with.

Very interesting responses!! Thanks all for replying.

I've never had one but always, since I was looking to buy my first PCP wanted a Matador. 

I'm getting one soon but was wondering if I should wait a bit..... Will suck getting one and then, new release 😂😂 

Getting one now (if you can find one...), you will still get a fine gun, in ANY case! I've got an older Lelya in .22. In many cases, mechanically it still outdoes some new guns.

Mike

Regarding any news about an upcoming R6... a while back Ed said he was going to avoid dropping hints and teaser info about future product development until it was ready to ship because of all the complaining and nagging and people getting upset when the "deadlines" were missed... so I'm not surprised there hasn't been much info about a possible R6. I'm sure it's being worked on, but I don't expect Ed to release any sneak peak pictures or videos and instead just one day announce "here it is, and it will be at dealers this week."

I've only had Edguns for a long time now... an R2.5 .22, then an R3 .22, then an R3 .25, then an R3M .22 and R3M .25, and now an R5M .25. Also have a Leshiy in .22 that's been solid.

Ed's build quality has always been great-- the designs are simple and robust with low parts count and they're very user friendly to work on. His guns just flat out work even if the triggers might not be as light as some people like, the cocking action on the multishots is rougher than say Daystate or FX sidelever actions, etc. Doing a reseal and rebuild on a friend's FX Crown and having little parts spread everywhere was quite a rude awakening compared to how simple it is to work on an Edgun.

After all these years running Edguns I'm finally going to try something different and have an Impact M3 on order. Compared to Ed's relatively simple and elegant designs the parts count with the FX is sky high, and many portions of the M3 design look rather fragile compared to the R5M I currently have. If I accidentally dropped my R5M out hunting I would have no worries about just dusting it off and finding it still working perfectly and zeroed. On the other hand, if I were to accidentally drop the M3 I'd be very worried about zero retention and if everything is still OK and undamaged (see the recent post about the M3 that arrived with a bent top plate and pinched mag well that no longer accepts a magazine because the package may have been dropped butt first during shipping... oops.)

Only reason I have the M3 on order is that I want to play with slugs and my current .25 R5M and slugs do *not* get along. At least with the FX it's easy to swap barrel liners, they have dedicated slug liners, and it seems to be relatively easy to get them shooting slugs well. My R5M would need a custom barrel at the very least to experiment with slugs, and then there's the issue of the Edgun magazines with the o-rings specifically designed to hold onto pellets between the head and skirt that don't want to retain slugs very well.

Ed did mention a couple years ago when asked about making his barrels more slug friendly that he had no interest in doing so until a large manufacturer was producing consistent slugs that he could design a barrel around. With JSB and H&N now making slugs I bet Ed is now working on a slug barrel and rifle-- but we probably won't know about it until he's satisfied and it's ready to ship. I feel pretty confident that the R6 will have a version set up for slugs.

I'm both looking forward to and dreading going from using only Edgun for years to the FX M3... I'm sure the M3 will shoot well and is extremely tunable and I rather enjoy that tuning process, but the M3 exploded diagram and parts count shows what appears to be a completely opposite design philosophy from Ed's minimal parts count design simplicity-- and I'm expecting the M3 to require a *lot* more fiddling and maintenance over the years than the far simpler R5M.

That being said, I'm very much looking forward to the R6... but I'm also hoping it doesn't end up borrowing too much from the Leshiy 2. What I do hope to see is something similar to the R5M but with available slug barrel options, a smoother cocking lever arrangement, a breech locking setup that's stronger than the current spring loaded latch arrangement that occasionally pops open at higher muzzle energies unless you add extra latch springs, and magazines more suited to holding slugs.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what Ed comes up with.

This is a nice detailed answer. Helps me to think about my 1st purchase. Thank you.