• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Any reason not to buy an FX Impact .25

Hello folks, 

I am new here to the site. I have been shopping around for more than a few years for a air rifle and I have recently found myself in the financial situation that has allowed me to pursue this as my hobby. 

I ordered myself a Yong Feng compressor, and a scope is on its way. Now all I need is a gun. I am really liking the FX impact for the obvious reasons. 

Is there any reason why I shouldn't be looking at the Impact for my first PCP? 

Buy once cry once. They retain decent resale value so if you find an impact not suiting your needs or too much for you, it'll sell fairly fast. The only thing that should deter you is their complexity, which carries pros and cons with its presence. I'd get a molecular sieve filter to go with your compressor to keep the internals of the new pcp as moisture free as possible, as the one filter the compressor comes with IMO isn't going to be too great.

Get one in the used classifieds. If you don't like it, sell it. Loss will be probably the cost of shipping. Just make sure to buy from a reputable and trusted seller. Or use PayPal to cover your butt. 

I'm much fonder of my Crown than the impact, for a multitude of reasons. I used to own an impact 🙂 it has its intended use and strong points. None of which suited me or were needed. 

Buy once cry once. They retain decent resale value so if you find an impact not suiting your needs or too much for you, it'll sell fairly fast. The only thing that should deter you is their complexity, which carries pros and cons with its presence. I'd get a molecular sieve filter to go with your compressor to keep the internals of the new pcp as moisture free as possible, as the one filter the compressor comes with IMO isn't going to be too great.

Roger! That ⬆️

I have a crown and an impact. I tend to agree I like the crown better. Granted the impact is more powerful. That’s what I have a 22 LR. for. Don’t get me wrong the impact is a great gun but for a new guy I honestly think there are better choices. 

daystate huntsman regal xl.
cricket

tiapan is supposed to be great

some of the other FX guns

Frankly I’d buy a used regal and spend money on a better compressor and the other required items for this hobby like a tank and such BUT that’s me and you may be just crazy about the impact. It’s harder for me to shoot then a rifle. They sell a ton of them. Another is the crown continuum 

Great honest advice.

I think the main thing to consider is do you want a bull pup designed rifle? If you have never shot or owned one (and who has until you buy one) it may or may not suit you. An Impact is an expensive gun and when you spend that much you want to get as close to what is ideal for you as you can. Most of us active on the forum own several guns and have bought and sold more .
You have not said what your intended use is. I like to say it’s like buying a hammer. You have to tell us what nails you are planning to drive. If you are shooting inside 50 or even 75 yards you don’t need the power of the impact. Or the expense. But I have one and it’s my “play with”. I’m trying to get it to shoot slugs at long range. It can be frustrating because there are several adjustments and one adjustment affects the others. My gun has been tuned and power up graded. As a result it’s louder then ideal and not especially back yard friendly. Get the picture it depends so much on the use you intend for the gun. Everyone has made good points and we are trying to give you good advice. Perhaps more info from you might help us accomplish our mission better 

Get a new one. ...not used. Airguns of Arizona or Utah Airguns. .25 cal pellets are expensive to shoot so it will be about $16 for 300 shots...or $16 per hour/day. That is why I like .22 guns. Pellets are 1/2 the price and easy to get. Also consider the RAW HM1000x. It will out shoot an Impact I would think. RAW HM1000x Chassis Gun

Also, I think a great first and last airgun is the Delta Wolf by Daystate coming to AOA. Interchangable calibers, Right or left hand cocking, built in chronograph. I already paid for mine in .22. Airguns of Arizona. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDiJHILp-Cw

Also, you should use a moisture filter on your Yong Heng compressor: Keep moisture out of your guns tank.

https://www.ebay.com/i/323855163623?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=323855163623&targetid=883069117886&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9033610&poi=&campaignid=9426387489&mkgroupid=95112702865&rlsatarget=aud-622524041678:pla-883069117886&abcId=1140476&merchantid=138357474&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn7j2BRDrARIsAHJkxmy-NoaRFA2geF_cK6C8gDQUTEVppUC5jrClUAnjo0ZnK6YnqPnixHIaAvduEALw_wcB

Those delta's are quite impressive, wow...but I am not a fan of e-valves/hammers/e-triggers personally..the rest of the mechanics on this gun impress me. Ditch the electronics and about 1k off the price tag, and I'd be all about these personally. I love the sliding pic rail but why not have its angle be adjustable, I been suggesting to build such for years! One day!

I would argue that for a first gun you might want to get one without so many options to modify the power. Couple of reasons for this. #1 you can really make your gun shoot like crap if you play with the settings in the wrong way. #2 the fx has way more seals in it than a gun like a marauder and when one goes bad you will need to go in to replace it. #3 there are way prettier guns out there if you care about that kinda thing. #4 your wife will leave you if she finds out you spent 2000 bucks on a single airgun. Honestly I have heard they are great guns and fill a niche with long distance hunters and competition dudes. I really feel like it would be a good choice if you really want one. The reasons stated above have kept me from buying one mainly the price and I feel like if I had that much money for an airgun I would probably buy a rawhm1000x or a daystate but that's just personal taste. Goodluck and welcome to the dark side! 

I think there are better options .Better to get a straight forward PCP,an easy one with less adjustments....also get a .22...best first caliber...or .177 as said cheaper and accurate.....I guess the best thing to do is what you did ,ask for options ..agree with the above...plus Brocock...or HW 100....just My opinion what I would do..... had a 400ci v8 in a 56 Healy....too much is too much...

Wow, Thank you everyone for your responses and I will do my best to address some of the points you asked about

• Intended use
    • Hunting 50% starling, rabbit, squirrel, nutria
    • Target 50% 
    • I can go up to .35 cal and take deer here in Texas
  • I am ok with a bullpup style rifle
  • I would prefer to buy new. I take care of my things and prefer to start with a clean slate. 
  • I like the way it looks
  • Wife will kill me no matter what, I have accepted my fate.
  • This will be my last toy purchase before we move into a new home we are building so I thought I should just go big and pull a "one and done".
  • I like how many adjustments there are as I like tweaking all my gear to get the best performance possible, home theater, car, air rifle. 

Question

• Will FX be releasing a Arrow barrel for the Impact? The idea of bow hunting for deer, hogs, and anything else I want would be a huge bonus. (I know other FX rifles have that option as the veminator extreme was the gun that put FX on my radar)