• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Any real reason to not buy a AAA slayer in 357? - part 1

Yep, I am aware the item is very pricey, but what are the alternatives? FX? - no, other small bores pumped up to try being big bore? - look at the power output and for the relatively similar amount of coin. AEA? - Do I seriously believe the chinese can produce a comparable unit to the slayer even if using uigher labor? I'm NOT saying they are. but , even hypothetically, they did. can a platform at 1/4 the price yield near the reliability or quality of the other? That leaves the Ataman series and the benjamin bulldogs- both very reputable. Just a bit rough on the performance usually leading to a pimped out bulldog for 1750 or Ataman- regulated shots but nowhere near the power output. Am I wrong anywhere?

Thank you in advance for your feedback brothers!
Personally I believe American Air Arms are the best built airguns on the market. I don't own any, but I am biased for them based on range day shooting at EBR and having looked over the Slayer and Evol. When you pick one up, you can feel the quality. Like I said, I don't own one but someday I do plan on buying one.

I believe the other big bores that are 100% good purchases are the Bushbuck 45 (also exclusive to AoA and I do own that one) and the Texan. Those two are single shot obviously. You might also look a the Pitbull offerings of the Benjamin Bulldog!

Hope you find what you are looking for!
-Atlas

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you want an AAA Slayer - .308 or .357 - and you want it now:

I'm still waiting for mine which I already paid for otherwise I'd jump on it.

Personally I don't need multishot capability with big bores so I chose a Texan 457 and if I was getting a 357 I'd do the same. However for the power your talking about with a magazine you are correct it's probably the best option. I kind of like pimped out bulldogs tho. To each his own I guess. If money is just burning a hole in your pocket and you love the AAA I'm not going to talk you out of it.
I second this sentiment. I have a 457 and have been considering adding a 357 as I have an enormous supply of cast bullets on hand already.

This covid thing has shown how fragile is life..n this are toys there is no justification to wait a year for a toy when you could be dead next week.. if the gun can't be shipped betwen now n a few days I simply don't buy it.. not even if is machined by good it self.. I really like the slayer line but the wait for me is ridiculous..I'm pretty sure that if I ordered one by the time it shipped I would not want it anymore .. their other line evol.. for the use I could give them.. I see it more like..look what I buy than actually receiving more for my money..that .22 paradigm is a 3k 18g pellet shooter whatttt. I bet a arm n leg that for what a pellet shooter is used..up to 100y it would do the same as mi really old $700 cricket compact.. if AEA stop fooling around n decided to up their game.. they could really fill the gap in the big bore bullpub market they have the power n regulator for them they just need some finesse in the Finnish they almost got it in their power pro for $800+ if they could up their machining to $1'800 range..I think they could do a product that will give AEA a run for the money 💰

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
This covid thing has shown how fragile is life..n this are toys there is no justification to wait a year for a toy when you could be dead next week.. if the gun can't be shipped betwen now n a few days I simply don't buy it.. not even if is machined by good it self.. I really like the slayer line but the wait for me is ridiculous..I'm pretty sure that if I ordered one by the time it shipped I would not want it anymore .. their other line evol.. for the use I could give them.. I see it more like..look what I buy than actually receiving more for my money..that .22 paradigm is a 3k 18g pellet shooter whatttt. I bet a arm n leg that for what a pellet shooter is used..up to 100y it would do the same as mi really old $700 cricket compact.. if AEA stop fooling around n decided to up their game.. they could really fill the gap in the big bore bullpub market they have the power n regulator for them they just need some finesse in the Finnish they almost got it in their power pro for $800+ if they could up their machining to $1'800 range..I think they could do a product that will give AEA a run for the money 💰
I believe you can order an Evol (and Slayer when they go into production again) from AoA without any wait time, but I could be wrong. As for the value of the airgun, not every shooter has the same values obviously. The Cricket is a great rifle forsure. I think what AAA has going for it is that the engineering, manufacturing, and assembling are all done by the same small outfit who are hyper focused on absolute quality. If you can find the same for 1/3 the price, go for it!

I believe you can order an Evol (and Slayer when they go into production again) from AoA without any wait time, but I could be wrong. As for the value of the airgun, not every shooter has the same values obviously. The Cricket is a great rifle forsure. I think what AAA has going for it is that the engineering, manufacturing, and assembling are all done by the same small outfit who are hyper focused on absolute quality. If you can find the same for 1/3 the price, go for it!
Absolute quality yup .. that in pellet form doesn't equate to better groups down range.. not because the gun doesn't perform..it that a pellet is a pellet no matter what.. hyper machining not relevant for pellet shooting.. for heavy lead shooting now that is another game.. a 224 or 257 shooting evol.. now that's a gun that will make my wallet jump...let's not take it that far..a evol designed for the now popular .22 - 40g or .25 cal between 50g n 60g that could justify the expense.. I think I would feel very ridiculous showing at a friend's shooting event n with my 3k pellet hyper machined gun..only to be outshoot by someone with a tuned gaunlet.. as for a viability I don't think AOA could jump me over a guy that has been waiting 2 years for his slayer.

Last edited:
Absolute quality yup .. that in pellet form doesn't equate to better groups down range.. not because the gun doesn't perform..it that a pellet is a pellet no matter what.. hyper machining not relevant for pellet shooting.. for heavy lead shooting now that is another game.. a 224 or 257 shooting evol.. now that's a gun that will make my wallet jump...let's not take it that far..a evol designed for the now popular .22 - 40g or .25 cal between 50g n 60g that could justify the expense.. I think I would feel very ridiculous showing at a friend's shooting event n with my 3k pellet hyper machined gun..only to be outshoot by someone with a tuned gaunlet.. as for a viability I don't think AOA could jump me over a guy that has been waiting 2 years for his slayer.
Just fyi, these AAA* airguns are superb slug shooters per the couple I've shot+reports from owners. As for manufacturering standards, of course higher quality standards usually translates to better performance at the range; in your previous post you referenced your desire for AEA to "up their machining to $1'800 range" for a reason, and that reason is that you believe more money would bring their quality stardards up higher to compete with other brands. But hey like I said different shooters have different values. Some find value in budget airguns, some find it in high-end airguns, and often some of us find value in both. And yes, a good shooter with a Marauder can outshoot a 3k airgun because it isn't about the tool but the person behind it. That said, give that same guy an airgun like an Evol, Daystate, or FX and they will be unleashed.

-Atlas

Last edited by a moderator:
Just fyi, these airguns are superb slug shooters per the couple I've shot+reports from owners. As for manufacturering standards, of course higher quality standards usually translates to better performance at the range; in your previous post you referenced your desire for AEA to "up their machining to $1'800 range" for a reason, and that reason is that you believe more money would bring their quality stardards up higher to compete with other brands. But hey like I said different shooters have different values. And yes, a good shooter with a Marauder can outshoot a 3k airgun because it isn't about the tool but the person behind it. That said, give that same guy an airgun like an Evol, Daystate, or FX and they will be unleashed.

-Atlas
Yup AEA.. in the big bore section not for pellets shooting.. because I know that with some fine tuning..their $800 pellet line will be up to par with any other pellet shooter .. the first 1 moa groups filmed in a pcp were done with..$600 hatsan bt 65 .. 25 n .30 cal - with some tuning a recrown factory barrel n a huma.. way before FX impacts n high dollar computerized triggers.. between 50y n 100y a 3k pellet shooter has no advantage... but it sure looks pretty darn awesome.

Always feeling good when I return from the range with my 357 Slayer. 5 shots today at 50 yards, 155 grain from Accurate Mold hollowpointed

20220917_110819.jpg

I sent an email to AOA asking when they would be selling the t-rex and they replied about November with a new improved model. We'll see. Regards, Tom
Yup..I called to the guy told me some time in 2023 .wanted to place a order for a 308 n 357 .. but I will only send my money if they are ready to ship..or one or 2 months of wait at the most..

I own two slayers and 2 bulldogs. One bulldog tuned by me and it holds up to my slayers in accuracy and power. 240ish FPE, 10 shots 3/4" at 75 yards. Now my other bulldog is th Taurus by Veradium air. This is a beast in all regards. Finish isnt as good as the slayers as they are a very sweet tuned bulldog with the plastic stock. But it is machined down a bit and looks and feels great. But the power and accuracy are way beyond the slayer. 390 FPE and just over an inch at 200 yards. My slayers were handed down to my sons and I kept my tuned bulldog and the Taurus. Hands down the Taurus is the king of the hill for multi shot, long range accuracy and power. But the Veradium air Bulldozer is right behind the Taurus. A little cheaper, just a tad less power and less expensive. Bulldozer still out performs the slayer. A lot of range time was made to make my conclusion. Your opinion and conclusions may differ but if you get a chance talk to Brian at Veradium air. He is the nicest guy and will tll you way more than you can read on these guns. Gt your bulldog turned into a bulldozer and you will not regret it. And no year plus wait. His website is veradiumair.com and his contact info is there. Sorry Slayer owners, I am not putting down the gun as its a fine rifle and superb craftsmanship. Ive owned 2 and dont regret those purchases but wish I knew about the Taurus first.