• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Any portable compressors able to fill 100 cu ft tank?

I used my Yong Heng to completely fill several 88+ cf sized tanks.
No issues what so ever. Just cool the comp efficiently and give it a few breaks.
I just found this - It's my initial notes w/ times and temps - if that helps.

1584566242_5988394175e728fe2ec8ef4.97813133.jpg

👍

Sam -

Thank you, all! This is great. I've been doing some research and think the Shoebox looks great, but I don't have a separate air compressor. 

I'm going to look into the Yong Heng. It looks like a great option as well. How easy is it for beginners to use? It scares me a bit to be messing around with high pressure and the oil/water part makes me nervous, as I was originally hoping to get something as self-contained as possible... 

Thank you, all! This is great. I've been doing some research and think the Shoebox looks great, but I don't have a separate air compressor. 

I'm going to look into the Yong Heng. It looks like a great option as well. How easy is it for beginners to use? It scares me a bit to be messing around with high pressure and the oil/water part makes me nervous, as I was originally hoping to get something as self-contained as possible... 

The Yong Heng is very easy to operate. Not the most convenient compressor since you have to attach external cooling lines and use an external water supply for cooling but it is simple to do. Many have used them for long periods (myself over 1 year and I've seen 2+ years from one youtube video review) while others have not had good luck with them noting short term failures. For the price, they are fine if you get a good one and you don't lose a lot if one fails.

If you are going to try one, I'd suggest a quality full synthetic compressor oil, a way to monitor water flow to make sure cooling flow is always moving (I simply put my return line above the water surface so I could see it flowing visibly), and filling in stages for large tanks. I usually did about 10 minutes at a time with a shutdown for around the same 10 minutes for cooling between stages. Additional air filtration is probably advisable (I have a Diablo system that I used with mine) but I recently opened my 97CF tank and there was NO (zero) water inside the tank, FWIW.

Y/H is a reasonably good compressor for the money. If your going to fill a bottle/scuba tank you need to put ice in the water 5gal bucket, get a tile saw pump at home depot (Ryobi) they are cheep and more dependable than the ones come with the unit. When filling the tank let it run continuous until it is filled. Dont stop and start the unit a lot and if you need to shut it off release the pressure before restarting the unit. I had one last me two years it was a 220v unit w/out auto shutoff. I have heard a lot of good things about the shoebox just never personally owned one.

For 98% of the PCP shooters the Shoebox F10 is all the compressor you will ever need. I have been using Shoeboxes from the original chain driven models to my newest F10. It is AMERICAN made, easy to repair, easy to use, efficient, quiet and dependable. I suggest you purchase the F10, a cheap Harbor Freight compressor, a good desiccant filter and a couple of 30 minute SCBA bottles. The key to long and successful compressor life is avoiding long run times. With the set up I describe you can fill a 30 minute bottle from 2800 PSI to 4500 psi in about 30 minutes with the F10. With 2 small bottles you will never run out of air and keep the wear and tear on your compressor to a minimum.

I also own an Atlantic 10 Compressor that I use to fill an 88 CuFt bottle about once every 3 months. It is noisy and crude compared to the ShoeBox but it does fill quickly, way overkill for what I need. I shoot about 15 to 20 thousand pellets per year.

I believe the ShoeBox was responsible for the huge growth in PCP airgun usage over the last 10 years. It is a great product!

Jim in Sacramento

There is no portable compressor that can fill large tanks. All portable compressor are 12v and run off a car battery. They are fan cool and get hot fast. They are only for filling guns. You need a compressor that is plug into 110v to be able to fill a large tank like the great white. Ive used the yong Heng for 2 years and it fill my 75cf tank just fine to 4500 psi each time. The only thing I don't like is you need a bucket of water to cool it down. But for $230. You can't beat that price. The shoebox is like $600 plus it's a booster, not a compressor. So you will need a shop compressor to make it work. It is also 1/5 the speed of the yong Heng and other compressor. Expect like over 10 hours to fill your tank from empty. And expect 1-2 hours for top off. Vs other compressor that can fill from empty in 1hour and 30 min. Or 15-20 mins to top off. There are also the big air Venturi and the hatsan lighting that will be able to fill your tank. They run for $1300-1400. There is then the Omega super charger for $1800. And if you got the money, go with the daystate 110v for $2000. Many compressor out there that will be able to fill your large tanks. But they are not portable. And they are not cheap.

For 98% of the PCP shooters the Shoebox F10 is all the compressor you will ever need. I have been using Shoeboxes from the original chain driven models to my newest F10. It is AMERICAN made, easy to repair, easy to use, efficient, quiet and dependable. I suggest you purchase the F10, a cheap Harbor Freight compressor, a good desiccant filter and a couple of 30 minute SCBA bottles. The key to long and successful compressor life is avoiding long run times. With the set up I describe you can fill a 30 minute bottle from 2800 PSI to 4500 psi in about 30 minutes with the F10. With 2 small bottles you will never run out of air and keep the wear and tear on your compressor to a minimum.

I also own an Atlantic 10 Compressor that I use to fill an 88 CuFt bottle about once every 3 months. It is noisy and crude compared to the ShoeBox but it does fill quickly, way overkill for what I need. I shoot about 15 to 20 thousand pellets per year.

I believe the ShoeBox was responsible for the huge growth in PCP airgun usage over the last 10 years. It is a great product!

Jim in Sacramento

I 100% agree. 

I've had my F10 long enough to put about 30hrs on it. Zero issues. I'm topping off an 88cf SCBA tank and using that tank to fill guns and SCUBA tanks. My typical fill is from about 3300-4200psi and takes about 1.5hrs. 

Thank you, all. 

For those using the Yong Heng, what do you do when it starts getting too hot? Open the bleed and turn it off? Do you just leave everything else connected while it cools down? 

You can use ice in the water bucket to cool it off and be able to run it longer. Max temp is around 70c. If using ice it should be running no higher than 55c. With water alone it can get to 65c. If you do shut it down cause it gets close to 70c. Turn it off and bleed it. Do not turn on if there is pressure in the lines. Always bleed when it is off. If you filling from empty, it will take longer so you want to do it in a couple of season. If just topping it off from 3000-3500 psi back to 4500 psi. You can do it in one session.

Yes, open, bleed and let it cool down for a while. Yes, leave things connected if you wish. You will need a better oil water separator, this one (linked) is better than most and way better than what comes with the unit. Keep the tiny original filter and change the filter element out after every 15-20 minutes of use. Keep the old filter set it aside to dry and use it next time. Doing this and, like DirtyDovi below said, purging the system every 5-10minutes will prolong the life of your large filter and help keep moisture out of your tanks and guns. Be sure that whatever you fill is above the compressor to help keep moisture out (see pic). Also I would suggest a switched outlet that will handle the load so you do not forget to turn on your water pump and overheat the unit as I did several times. I ended up choosing the Set Pressure model of the Yong Heng brand so if I spaced out I would not have to keep replacing the rupture disk. It's a bit more money but worth it to me. I wish you well with your addiction. ;^)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32891898253.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.3.126e2ae6nCu5FM&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.14977.161855.0&scm_id=1007.14977.161855.0&scm-url=1007.14977.161855.0&pvid=f17c9cf5-7a19-43af-90fe-f0d8ba10239e&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller,scm-url:1007.14977.161855.0,pvid:f17c9cf5-7a19-43af-90fe-f0d8ba10239e,tpp_buckets:668%230%23131923%2318_668%23808%234094%23114_668%23888%233325%2310

Don't get me wrong I am all for the Made in USA stuff but as far as I know we do not make anything remotely similar to this.

All great answers above!

With the YH comps, I got annoyed w/ the C temp gauge, so swapped mine out for a F temp gauge via Scamazon..
Initial prep: I use Royal Purple 100% synthetic Compressor-Oil in mine, and the stuff works fantastic.
I've used that in every compressor I've ever owned: several smaller, medium sized, and industrial/shop sized compressors. 
Never a single failure, so I continue to use it and highly recommend it.

Cooling: As mentioned above.. I just use a 5-gallon bucket next to the comp - filled about 3/4 of the way w/ cold water.
To aid in better / faster cooling, I have a few 2-ltr soda bottles that I've filled with water and keep in the freezer.. 
I'll put 1 into the gallon bucket, and the comp can usually go forever w/o really breaking 130*F [that's about 54*C]

These comps do build condensation/water in them, and the OEM oil/water separators aren't the greatest, 
so you can either upgrade them, or, just get into the habit of manually purging the comp every 10 min or so.. 
Just a quick twist of the bleeder screw, and they'll spit out enough to keep them operating safely.. 

I have my comp in my kitchen, under a table, on a wooden floor - so as you'd imagine, it's loud and vibrates like crazy.. 
To help cut down on that, I actually used the thick white foam that came in the box as a 'stand'.
The wait of the comp compressed it's feet into the foam, so it stays put perfectly, and is a Lot more tolarable when running.

I've officially had my YH for over a year now, and **knock on wood** it still runs absolutely flawlessly.

Tip - other than upgrading the filter and/or pump is to just periodically double-check all the connections.
I'd also double check random nuts/bolts/etc. as these things can potentially commit vibratory-suicide. 🤣 

👍

Sam -

There is no portable compressor that can fill large tanks. All portable compressor are 12v and run off a car battery. They are fan cool and get hot fast. They are only for filling guns. You need a compressor that is plug into 110v to be able to fill a large tank like the great white. Ive used the yong Heng for 2 years and it fill my 75cf tank just fine to 4500 psi each time. The only thing I don't like is you need a bucket of water to cool it down. But for $230. You can't beat that price. The shoebox is like $600 plus it's a booster, not a compressor. So you will need a shop compressor to make it work. It is also 1/5 the speed of the yong Heng and other compressor. Expect like over 10 hours to fill your tank from empty. And expect 1-2 hours for top off. Vs other compressor that can fill from empty in 1hour and 30 min. Or 15-20 mins to top off. There are also the big air Venturi and the hatsan lighting that will be able to fill your tank. They run for $1300-1400. There is then the Omega super charger for $1800. And if you got the money, go with the daystate 110v for $2000. Many compressor out there that will be able to fill your large tanks. But they are not portable. And they are not cheap.

And may I add, on these (expensive compressor's) I have seen a lot of issues from whom I'd consider mechanically inclined individuals. I believe most these are made in china and re labled w/ high markup