Any PCP Airgunners in Houston???

I am not in Houston, I'm in an area in Leon county Texas called Hilltop Lakes (HL). I am working with the POA at HL to start an air gun club and 100 yard bench range. Hilltop Lakes is between Houston and Dallas and would be a great place to hold air gun bench competitions. The POA at HL is asking me to come up with a estimated number of air gun shooters that would like to come to HL to either join the club or come up to compete. Feedback from you Texas air gunners will help me get the club and range started.
I am in Bastrop and would be interested.
Currently I shoot in my backyard range up to 85 yards but will a little more clearing intend to get out to 100.

To the OP, I never thought about the shooting center in Bush Park. I work a lot of events in Katy and my have to start bringing one of my PCPs along. Maybe we will cross paths there.

Sadly, in one of the largest cities of the country is there is Not 1 airgun store...
Hell for that matter the largest state in the country and less than a handful of them..
1 in San Antonio
1ish in Mansfield
1 somewhere in the DFW area
and in Austin. I have not been there yet so can not say if it is worth a visit.

and in Austin. I have not been there yet so can not say if it is worth a visit.

Yeah the problem with them seems to be the same as Alamo, Way overpriced..
I get it, brick and mortar stores cost money to operate, but my god you understand why they are so far and few between when looking at the pricing....

I get it, brick and mortar stores cost money to operate, but my god you understand why they are so far and few between when looking at the pricing....
I hadn’t noticed the prices being excessively high at Alamo, but I was comparing them to the bigger online retailers like Utah Airguns. Most of their prices on guns, optics and accessories look the same, but ammo is about 10% higher. Utah does seemingly have a huge brick and mortar presence to deal with also, but I imagine their buying power is much more significant too.

I hadn’t noticed the prices being excessively high at Alamo, but I was comparing them to the bigger online retailers like Utah Airguns. Most of their prices on guns, optics and accessories look the same, but ammo is about 10% higher. Utah does seemingly have a huge brick and mortar presence to deal with also, but I imagine their buying power is much more significant too.
I will say Alamo is at least in the ballpark on guns..
Now ammo and a few other items are where they kill me..
I am in Conroe, I would love to keep all of business in Texas, but when I am getting charged 16.95 for a package that cost 8.50 to ship on top of the already much higher price it makes it a little tough to swallow...

I applaud them for openeing the store though and i wish them the best.. If i lived in SA you can bet your a## i would be a regular.. !

Reactions: Jetdro
As I said, I have not been there yet and have no idea on their pricing but I get what you are saying.

I will say though that the advantage to a brick and mortar store front is not pricing.
I am an event photographer by trade and experience some of the same with camera gear.
I can buy a lot of it online cheaper, but my local camera store also goes out of their way to help me when I have a problem. Some online retailers are good about that too, but I cant drive to their front door and have an issue resolved before lunch time.

Also, with online retailers, you don't get to handle the product before hand. Just look at pictures, specs, and maybe some reviews that may or may not even be relevant. When I am laying down a stack of Benjamin Franklins, I want to handle, inspect, and if possible actually try out what I might be buying first.
Another thing. Many of the physical stores where I do business will also at least try to price match when asked.

So there is a trade off. Higher prices are easier to swallow when excellent customer service is there when needed

Reactions: bfloyd1095
Live in Spring/Woodlands area. Was into powder burners for years when younger. Got burned out on benchrest shooting and metallic sil too.
Bought a Diana 34 springer ages ago, and didnt use it much . Just retired, pulled it out to play with , my love of shooting came back to me.

Played with it last month or two, it shoots well, but the cocking got old quick, lol. Decided i wanted to shoot more, saw the new (new to me ,lol!!) PCP rifles, yup what i would want.

Did bunch of reading here and other places, to figure out what i wanted. I have four healthy athletic German Shepherds, live against the green belt/creek , in fact i open my back gate to the creek. Have a couple Ebikes, run the pack everyday out there, we average 10 miles a day.

Wanted something i could take with me on the bike to plink with when we have rest stops. TONS of crap to shoot at along the creek. Looked at the Edgun, but im a bit ole skool, so i didnt bite. Liked the 510 TDR, BUT what the F is the point of it when it packs into a suitcase ??????

Took near a year, but i found what i wanted and needed. A new in the box, never opened , never fired AA S410 TDR FAC . What a beautiful thing it is!!!
The case has straps, fits on my back, weighs 10 pounds totally filled up. Put a Athalon 2-12 FFP on it . At the moment, cause im out of practice, it shoots better than i can . Mostly due to my poor bench rest setup, lol. Some bricks covered by an old Tempurpedic pillow(lol) . I want to find it's best performance.

The first time i pumped it (Hill MK4) from 0-200 bar..........................of HELL NO!!!! I just retired, 6 minutes of huffing n puffn everytime i want to fire pellets is WORSE than the cocking of the Diana!!!!

At 30 yards, all i can do in my backyard, she shoots brilliantly , 15 3 shot groups produced all touching holes, averaging less than .3 !!! Off my poop rest !
I have the TIME now to tinker and shoot , so i got some new "stuff" inbound.

Got a cool rest, a left hand bolt ( i shoot lefty) changed rifle over to left hand. a 100 CI carbon bottle, and a CS4I compressor. No more pumping for me.

As I stated, im retired, can do as i please now.

Would love to meet local shooters, and my yard, even if only 30 yds, is MINE, against woods, can do as i please here, is a cool place to shoot.

Say hello .

Also into dog's, lol, obviously, lol, hot rods, and PC's.

Reactions: techna
Would love to meet local shooters, and my yard, even if only 30 yds, is MINE, against woods, can do as i please here, is a cool place to shoot.

Say hello .

Also into dog's, lol, obviously, lol, hot rods, and PC's.
Probably one of the greatest things about PCPs is being able to shoot in my back yard in Bastrop.
No more loading up my PBs and driving to the range only find it shoulder to shoulder with weekend spray and pray shooters that mostly all need instruction on safe firerarm use.

Probably one of the greatest things about PCPs is being able to shoot in my back yard in Bastrop.
No more loading up my PBs and driving to the range only find it shoulder to shoulder with weekend spray and pray shooters that mostly all need instruction on safe firerarm use.
I open my back gate to the woods/creek. So many places for me to shoot, but under the canopy, sitting by the pool, shooting metal targets in my back yard im super chill :cool:

Reactions: jmohme
@techna

SWEET looking 'pup ya got man, never seen an FX gun in person. Also do not know about that scope you have mounted on it.
Are you referring specifically to the Wildcat I posted in a different thread? If so, I feel like that might be a love it or hate it kind of gun. I love it, but am sure the small(ish) gun/huge can isn’t for everyone. The scope is probably in a similar category. Zero eye relief scopes aren’t exactly easy to get used to, but the huge FOV makes it worth the effort in my opinion. I can’t remember if I mentioned what it is in the other thread, but if not it’s an Element Immersive 14x50. I had it on my M3 originally, and might move it back so that I can try the Immersive 5x30 on the Wildcat.

Last edited:
Are you referring specifically to the Wildcat I posted in a different thread? If so, I feel like that might be a love it or hate it kind of gun. I love it, but am sure the small(ish) gun/huge can isn’t for everyone. The scope is probably in a similar category. Zero eye relief scopes aren’t exactly easy to get used to, but the huge FOV makes it worth the effort in my opinion.
Yes in other thread , gun up on bench

Oh i see , zero eye relief huh . So like fast target acquisition , huge field of view for engaging multiple targets quickly ??

The bull pup is not my style not my type of shooting but I appreciate the look of your machine.

Does the FX shoot as well as all i read about them ???

Glad you said hello 👍