• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Any other guns tunable as or a little less than FX airguns

I have been asking these questions because I want to buy a air rifle next summer for hunting. I live in Idaho so plenty of small game. My main targets would be nothing a whole lot bigger than a raccoon. The quarry will mostly be pest birds, grouse, squrriels, and rabbits. My budget is $1500 for the gun but I will go up to $2000 if necessary. Although that is for the gun and upgrades. Any good alternatives to FX guns for tuning, accuracy, power, quietness, lightness, and good shot counts. The range I am going to be shooting is 20-100 yards with a couple in the 125 yard range. The two calibers I am looking at are .22 and .25. the power range is 14-16 fpe all the way to 55-65+ fpe. That high for the .25. More of 45-55 fpe for .22. Also a scope suggestion would be good as well. I mostly shoot with MOA scopes and I want it to have a clean reticle. My scope budget is $500 dollars but if I get the gun for less I am putting a bit more into the scope. The compressor I picked out is the one on Mountain Sport Airguns. The detachable lithium ion batteries.

I will give you one tip that seems to elude most guys. Guns are no different than other things. A highly tunable gun has a way higher chance of a highly pain in the ass. Just look at all the topics over the last year. You won’t see many topics with guys complaining about simple high quality guns. Plenty of topics about the ones that promise the moon. If you’re a hunter, keep the gun simple or you’ll spend more time pissing with it than hunting with it.
"Beware the man who owns one gun. It's quite likely that he KNOWS how to use it."

You need 65+ fpe, and the ability for 125 yd effective shooting. If that's the case, I think you need to get a HP rifle that can give you the long range performance, and sacrifice some on the low end. Having more power than you need for closer critters is not going to hurt, but shooting at 125 yards demands a certain amount of power and accuracy that should not be compromised, assuming you want the ability for consistent, humane shots. It sounds like you will be hunting in places where heavily suppressed sound is not necessary. I would suggest something lke an FX Royale 500 or Boss, a Daystate Wolverine HP, or a Brocock Bantam Sniper HP. They are not quickly externally adjustable with the gadgets offered by FX on some of their newer rifles, but they are relatively simple, reliable rifles. They offer the long range performance you want, only at the expense of some overkill close up, but you can't kill something too dead. IMO, finding a rifle that is reliably tunable from 14-65 fpe is going to be problematic.
My 2 cents - I'd recommend you include on your list the Huben K1 in .25. With one knob I can tune from 6.8 ft lbs to 77.7 ft lbs when using JSB 33.97 grain pellets. No drama, just turn the knob and go. Measured with two chronos at 5' or so from the muzzle. NewEnglandAirGuns has a downloadable version of the manual that clearly shows where to set the secondary regulator for reliable operation (between 15 and 20MPa, mine was at 18MPa for my testing). Once this is set, you just turn the knob for more or less power. If you're interested I will share my "knob clicks versus muzzle energy" tests from last week. The results were quite eye opening!

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
My 2 cents - I'd recommend you include on your list the Huben K1 in .25. With one knob I can tune from 6.8 ft lbs to 77.7 ft lbs when using JSB 33.97 grain pellets. No drama, just turn the knob and go. Measured with two chronos at 5' or so from the muzzle. NewEnglandAirGuns has a downloadable version of the manual that clearly shows where to set the secondary regulator for reliable operation (between 15 and 20MPa, mine was at 18MPa for my testing). Once this is set, you just turn the knob for more or less power. If you're interested I will share my "knob clicks versus muzzle energy" tests from last week. The results were quite eye opening!
I am interested. I have looked at the Huben. I really like it but the magazine is the bad part. Not a deal breaker but I wished you could take it out. I know it is like that though for tighter tolerances.

You need 65+ fpe, and the ability for 125 yd effective shooting. If that's the case, I think you need to get a HP rifle that can give you the long range performance, and sacrifice some on the low end. Having more power than you need for closer critters is not going to hurt, but shooting at 125 yards demands a certain amount of power and accuracy that should not be compromised, assuming you want the ability for consistent, humane shots. It sounds like you will be hunting in places where heavily suppressed sound is not necessary. I would suggest something lke an FX Royale 500 or Boss, a Daystate Wolverine HP, or a Brocock Bantam Sniper HP. They are not quickly externally adjustable with the gadgets offered by FX on some of their newer rifles, but they are relatively simple, reliable rifles. They offer the long range performance you want, only at the expense of some overkill close up, but you can't kill something too dead. IMO, finding a rifle that is reliably tunable from 14-65 fpe is going to be problematic.
I don't mind if I have to take things off to adjust them. It's with the FX guns like the Impact and Maverick, they just don't look as durable. And a lot more complicated to tune. Now I would consider the FX Wildcat along with the Crown and Dreamline because they are less tunable than the other two Listed FX guns. They also look more durable.

Tunablity is OVER RATED ... those who come into this AG sport do read the forums or publications.
Whats being sold / promoted bias's towards bells, whistles, knobs and ways to fiddle and alter the guns in some or many ways.
*Come days end .... How many folks honestly know how or have the mechanical aptitude to figure it out .. Or even want too ?

*All the switch-a-roo parts, caliber swaps etc etc all sound really cool, but in reality for many once in use, many Doubt they have it set up right, question what add-on will make the gun shoot better and on & on it goes !!! It has become in my eyes a promotional circus for some manufacturers.

SIMPLE is better and by far more reliable !!!!

Many of the finest quality and consistently best shooting Air guns of the past 40 years are built robust and for a somewhat specific task in there respective calibers. Techno lego designs, AR platform wanna-bee's are the rage right now .... Some have got it right, many are just a fad that likely won't survive the test of time and relativity against conventional & proven design platforms..

I don't mind if I have to take things off to adjust them. It's with the FX guns like the Impact and Maverick, they just don't look as durable. And a lot more complicated to tune. Now I would consider the FX Wildcat along with the Crown and Dreamline because they are less tunable than the other two Listed FX guns. They also look more durable.
The Boss/Royale platform is the most robust rifle made by FX, and very simple, easy to tune. I have a Royale 400, and I can remove and adjust the regulator in about 15 minutes, and the hammer spring is easily adjusted at the rear of the action, no disassembly. I also owned a Crown, and I would choose the Royale without question, in fact, I did!

Reactions: Motorhead
Tunablity is OVER RATED ... those who come into this AG sport do read the forums or publications.
Whats being sold / promoted bias's towards bells, whistles, knobs and ways to fiddle and alter the guns in some or many ways.
*Come days end .... How many folks honestly know how or have the mechanical aptitude to figure it out .. Or even want too ?

*All the switch-a-roo parts, caliber swaps etc etc all sound really cool, but in reality for many once in use, many Doubt they have it set up right, question what add-on will make the gun shoot better and on & on it goes !!! It has become in my eyes a promotional circus for some manufacturers.

SIMPLE is better and by far more reliable !!!!

Many of the finest quality and consistently best shooting Air guns of the past 40 years are built robust and for a somewhat specific task in there respective calibers. Techno lego designs, AR platform wanna-bee's are the rage right now .... Some have got it right, many are just a fad that likely won't survive the test of time and relativity against conventional & proven design platforms..

Couldn't have said it better. Really, so well put.

The Boss/Royale platform is the most robust rifle made by FX, and very simple, easy to tune. I have a Royale 400, and I can remove and adjust the regulator in about 15 minutes, and the hammer spring is easily adjusted at the rear of the action, no disassembly. I also owned a Crown, and I would choose the Royale without question, in fact, I did!
Why is the Royale better than the crown?

Why is the Royale better than the crown?
It uses the original solid smooth twist barrel. The liner/sleeve/shroud system of the Crown is simply not as strong, and is much more prone to POI shifts from minor bumps. That was my experience. Of course, "better" is a subjective term. If you want the ability to change liners to accommodate slugs, then maybe the Crown is the better choice.

I am interested. I have looked at the Huben. I really like it but the magazine is the bad part. Not a deal breaker but I wished you could take it out. I know it is like that though for tighter tolerances.
I get it. It was a decision point for me, but I've been living with 3-shot shotguns and internal mag hunting rifles for long enough that this, for this purpose, does not bother me. I completely understand though!

I think you are slowly getting the picture. There is a nice little lineup of quality tanks that you should probably be choosing from. The older RTI’s were tanks if you got a good regulator. The latest with a balance valve and a possible sketchy reg? Not a good gamble for the guy who wants just one gun. Lead mining companies and chronograph manufacturers collaborated and designed the FX Impact. Maverick’s have also been known to fancy chronographs. The secret to figuring out who makes a good high end gun is look for aftermarket parts. If you can’t find any, bingo!

I have been asking these questions because I want to buy a air rifle next summer for hunting. I live in Idaho so plenty of small game. My main targets would be nothing a whole lot bigger than a raccoon. The quarry will mostly be pest birds, grouse, squrriels, and rabbits. My budget is $1500 for the gun but I will go up to $2000 if necessary. Although that is for the gun and upgrades. Any good alternatives to FX guns for tuning, accuracy, power, quietness, lightness, and good shot counts. The range I am going to be shooting is 20-100 yards with a couple in the 125 yard range. The two calibers I am looking at are .22 and .25. the power range is 14-16 fpe all the way to 55-65+ fpe. That high for the .25. More of 45-55 fpe for .22. Also a scope suggestion would be good as well. I mostly shoot with MOA scopes and I want it to have a clean reticle. My scope budget is $500 dollars but if I get the gun for less I am putting a bit more into the scope. The compressor I picked out is the one on Mountain Sport Airguns. The detachable lithium ion batteries.
leshiy 2 is very tunable, but it gets expensive quick.