• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Any other guns tunable as or a little less than FX airguns

I have been asking these questions because I want to buy a air rifle next summer for hunting. I live in Idaho so plenty of small game. My main targets would be nothing a whole lot bigger than a raccoon. The quarry will mostly be pest birds, grouse, squrriels, and rabbits. My budget is $1500 for the gun but I will go up to $2000 if necessary. Although that is for the gun and upgrades. Any good alternatives to FX guns for tuning, accuracy, power, quietness, lightness, and good shot counts. The range I am going to be shooting is 20-100 yards with a couple in the 125 yard range. The two calibers I am looking at are .22 and .25. the power range is 14-16 fpe all the way to 55-65+ fpe. That high for the .25. More of 45-55 fpe for .22. Also a scope suggestion would be good as well. I mostly shoot with MOA scopes and I want it to have a clean reticle. My scope budget is $500 dollars but if I get the gun for less I am putting a bit more into the scope. The compressor I picked out is the one on Mountain Sport Airguns. The detachable lithium ion batteries.

Airguns is a hobby for most of us. Tuning a gun is not always necessary, but can be a part of the hobby. If you want to learn some basics, having an adjustable gun is a good start. An FX gun can be tuned while still keeping the varanty. There is also great guides on forums, and youtube explaing how to do it. Many internal regulators on other guns are probably not intended to be adjusted by the end user. I have several guns, some of them are FX, and my tuning journey started there. Sure I have screwed up things which is easy to do when being inexperianced, but I know the errors have been mine, and not the gun. When I later had gotten the confidence adjusting an FX gun, I have also taken "none adjustable" guns appart. FX guns doeas not need any special tools to tune, while some other guns do. I know motorhead is a professional tuner, and makes money out of tuning guns for customers. If all airgunners started to buy FX guns, where they are able to make many adjustements themself, without paying others to do it, he would probably be out of work. Or maybe making money out of fixing guns instead, because of user errors:)

Actually, if you start with the basics on a Maverick you are 99% of the way, if you want perfection THEN it gets harder. The problem is getting the basics, which a few have helped with on this site. Front 140, rear 80, HSA to 19.3, boom instant starting point for 18gr .22 or 25 gr .25 with that wheelie thingie set to 5,,,sorry senior moment here which seem to be much more frequent lately. If everything is right you're getting about 935 fps and a SD of under 2. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: N2 Shooter
There has been some really good observations made in this topic. I will lay another one on you. With my non FX high end guns, even with disassembling to adjust the reg on some of them, it doesn’t take more than 200 pellets or slugs to determine if that’s the projectile of choice. With the big 3 in the FX lineup, that’s not the case. On an Impact you can go through 200 shots just testing on one reg setting by playing with the valve. Then with all three you have CF tube? Glue or not? Barrel tension? Barrel support? Is my C1 loose? Is my hammer wheel getting chewed up? Should I try a different liner? Transfer port? Hammer weight? Probe? I think you get the picture. Shooting, hoping, spending, and chasing is the hobby. With other guns just shooting or hunting is. To the OP, you decide. I like my two Impacts and Dreamtac. But if they were the only guns I owned and I couldn’t just walk away from them and enjoy hunting with something else, my opinion might change.

Since you mentioned using it for hunting and lithium powered compressor I think you want something rugged and robust to not have issues in the field. Taipan, Uragan, AEA, perhaps RAW, or if you can manage a single shot then maybe a AirForce. Open the box, clean it, lube it, mount the scope, add air, and master it.

Don't need anything externally adjustable but it is nice option to have. Modified a .22 KraitX with a second RTI reg and am on the waiting list for a .25 conversion kit. First RTI external adjustable reg reduces the brute 300bar pressure from the bottle to a more manageable 150'ish bar, second external adjustable reg drops that down to a more stable 125bar. Still have the adjustable hammer adjustment available if needed.

I take a rugged gun that once I tune for what I need will be ther for me, keep POI day in and day out without me having to worry everytime I pick it up.

I understand people that love to play with all kinds of nobs and such, probably for them guns that can't keep POI is a non issue since they will be messing around with them regardless.

Isn't great that everyone is different ;)

Last edited:
I take a rugged gun that once I tune for what I need will be ther for me, keep POI day in and day out without me having to worry everytime I pick it up.

I understand people that love to play with all kinds of nobs and such, probably for them guns that can't keep POI is a non issue since they will be messing around with them regardless.

Isn't great that everyone is different ;)

Sums up what I said in a far more easy simple fashion (y) :cool:

When I was a kid, many years ago, small foreign cars were just being introduced in the US. I grew up in a blue collar environment, and most folks drove Fords and Chevys. The dad of one of my friends was asked why he had no interest in these new, little cars. His response, "they're little, they have little parts , they break". Such is often the fate of the growing adjustamatic rifles (I can see Dan Akroyd doing a skit for one on SNL!).