• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Any other guns tunable as or a little less than FX airguns

I have been asking these questions because I want to buy a air rifle next summer for hunting. I live in Idaho so plenty of small game. My main targets would be nothing a whole lot bigger than a raccoon. The quarry will mostly be pest birds, grouse, squrriels, and rabbits. My budget is $1500 for the gun but I will go up to $2000 if necessary. Although that is for the gun and upgrades. Any good alternatives to FX guns for tuning, accuracy, power, quietness, lightness, and good shot counts. The range I am going to be shooting is 20-100 yards with a couple in the 125 yard range. The two calibers I am looking at are .22 and .25. the power range is 14-16 fpe all the way to 55-65+ fpe. That high for the .25. More of 45-55 fpe for .22. Also a scope suggestion would be good as well. I mostly shoot with MOA scopes and I want it to have a clean reticle. My scope budget is $500 dollars but if I get the gun for less I am putting a bit more into the scope. The compressor I picked out is the one on Mountain Sport Airguns. The detachable lithium ion batteries.

I have been asking these questions because I want to buy a air rifle next summer for hunting. I live in Idaho so plenty of small game. My main targets would be nothing a whole lot bigger than a raccoon. The quarry will mostly be pest birds, grouse, squrriels, and rabbits. My budget is $1500 for the gun but I will go up to $2000 if necessary. Although that is for the gun and upgrades. Any good alternatives to FX guns for tuning, accuracy, power, quietness, lightness, and good shot counts. The range I am going to be shooting is 20-100 yards with a couple in the 125 yard range. The two calibers I am looking at are .22 and .25. the power range is 14-16 fpe all the way to 55-65+ fpe. That high for the .25. More of 45-55 fpe for .22. Also a scope suggestion would be good as well. I mostly shoot with MOA scopes and I want it to have a clean reticle. My scope budget is $500 dollars but if I get the gun for less I am putting a bit more into the scope. The compressor I picked out is the one on Mountain Sport Airguns. The detachable lithium ion batteries.
I am sure others will jump in with many other suggestions, but if you are looking foradjustability and tunability then you are going to have a hard time beating FX. Something in the Crown, Maverick or Wildcat lines will fit your budget and can certainly deliver the power you seek. If you are willing to go with something used then the world of the Impact MK II or even M3 will be opened for you.

FX simply has tons of options, an extremely large aftermarket selection, and excellent resale value, so if you don't love it you can always pass it along. There are many other good, and even a few great airguns, but given the things you mention (tunability, range of power options, etc) I personally don't think you'll beat FX.

DE050475-CEF4-41BB-ACCF-B800AAFE7A44.jpeg

Reactions: darylm
I will give you one tip that seems to elude most guys. Guns are no different than other things. A highly tunable gun has a way higher chance of a highly pain in the ass. Just look at all the topics over the last year. You won’t see many topics with guys complaining about simple high quality guns. Plenty of topics about the ones that promise the moon. If you’re a hunter, keep the gun simple or you’ll spend more time pissing with it than hunting with it.

Does the gun have to be durable or is that not part of the criteria? Most all Airguns are tunable and most of the higher end guns are all pretty accurate, to set them apart it's important to look at all factors. Reliability, durability and overall function, especially for field use. Lurking the forums will give you a good idea of what's available, you have plenty of time between now and summer to save up and make a good decision.

The Impact M3 is very easy to tune. The others can be a little more involved.
One thing. If you want to tune any air gun you are going to need a digital chronograph. I would advise getting the FX Pocket Chronograph. It is so easy to use and works every time in all weather and light conditions.
I've bought a few scopes for air guns and the best one I've seen so far for the money is Arken.

Reactions: ChRiSiS
I humbly submit the well engineered RTI Prophet Performance very adjustable/tunable and build like a tank. Their not one of those pretty brands and hey pretty is okay. But if you want a durable workhorse, if you should stumble into a ditch that will keep taking care of business give RTI a glance. Buy the caliber that most suits your hunting needs upfront, but if swapping calibers-barrels is your thing? It's easy with either the RTI Priest-Prophet models also deals on a complete setup that was some ones treasure sometimes appear. Like Dana said times on your decision side. :cool:

Kailbergun cricket 45 or tipana tactical or any

Uragan or agt. Prophet is a good 1 to! real question is are you confident enough in your skills to be tinkering with guns that come pretty close to shoot ready? I've fixed friends guns and read more about people messing stuff up chasing a new slug craziness when really all they needed was hades pellets. No disrespect at all. M3 is probably the easiest generation of impacts and well worth the extra saving for. I sold mine because the dang thing wasn't a challenge anymore. There is really no other platform thats like fx besides maybe leshiy 2 or priests or prophet!

Reactions: ChRiSiS
Does the gun have to be durable or is that not part of the criteria? Most all Airguns are tunable and most of the higher end guns are all pretty accurate, to set them apart it's important to look at all factors. Reliability, durability and overall function, especially for field use. Lurking the forums will give you a good idea of what's available, you have plenty of time between now and summer to save up and make a good decision.
I have been thinking about it for a long time. I really like the Brocock Ghost HP it has the quick change barrel system and it is also tunable.

Reactions: Smitty911
You need 65+ fpe, and the ability for 125 yd effective shooting. If that's the case, I think you need to get a HP rifle that can give you the long range performance, and sacrifice some on the low end. Having more power than you need for closer critters is not going to hurt, but shooting at 125 yards demands a certain amount of power and accuracy that should not be compromised, assuming you want the ability for consistent, humane shots. It sounds like you will be hunting in places where heavily suppressed sound is not necessary. I would suggest something lke an FX Royale 500 or Boss, a Daystate Wolverine HP, or a Brocock Bantam Sniper HP. They are not quickly externally adjustable with the gadgets offered by FX on some of their newer rifles, but they are relatively simple, reliable rifles. They offer the long range performance you want, only at the expense of some overkill close up, but you can't kill something too dead. IMO, finding a rifle that is reliably tunable from 14-65 fpe is going to be problematic.

Reactions: L.Leon
I am just going to go out on a limb here and mention the Taipan Veteran Long in .25 and here is why

Tune the hammer spring thats it.

Boom done.
My Taipan Veteran Long shot .25 33.95 JSB MK1 and MK2s with incredible accuracy out to 115 yards (max I shot it) making 65 FPE at the muzzle extremely consistently.

@wolfmangreg purchased this rifle from me and @Bollweevil now owns it , both know how accurate and how much of a hammer it is.

Consistent
Rugged
1 external adjustment point without the need to touch the reg.
Best trigger IMHO