• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

any one tuning the mrod with the new ss balanced valve ( to regulate or Not ??

1st gen SS balanced valve is best unregulated. 

2nd gen SS balanced valve is excellent regulated. 

Hello jmmartinez573. Hoping you might have additional information on why the generation 1 SS valve is best unregulated. Any thoughts or guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Can also stand behind that statement. As part of the R&D team of the GEN 1 valves field trials it became very obvious that the valve LOVED pressure and would make a LOT of power at @ 2100 psi and up. below @ 2K it became very hammer strike sensitive and tended to destabilize in ES figures.

With most folks running regulated gun at or below 2K set points the Gen 1 SS valve was just not in its happy place at that pressure range ... THUS the TRUTH of the statements read here and elsewhere about the Gen 1 SS valve.

Scott S

Motorheads AG Tuning Services

Thanks for the rely Scott! Please don't misunderstand....I totally believe the conclusions, I just wanted a bit more detail.

I managed 24 shots at an average 852 fps (41 fpe for 25.9g JSB) with an ES of 24 fps on my gen 1 SS valve. The ES is 7 fps for the first 21 shots, so I think the gen 1 valve is pretty good. Now you have me wondering.....

140 bar reg, WAR MSD hammer, and a cut down 6.2 #/in spring. This gun cocks like a dream with one finger.

Thanks for the rely Scott! Please don't misunderstand....I totally believe the conclusions, I just wanted a bit more detail.

I managed 24 shots at an average 852 fps (41 fpe for 25.9g JSB) with an ES of 24 fps on my gen 1 SS valve. The ES is 7 fps for the first 21 shots, so I think the gen 1 valve is pretty good. Now you have me wondering.....

140 bar reg, WAR MSD hammer, and a cut down 6.2 #/in spring. This gun cocks like a dream with one finger.

There it is ... 140 bar reg pressure which is @ 2050 psi being right about the pressure the valve starts getting funky. It will run there OK and will work, just not at any lower of a set point. 150 bar would likely work even better.

Now those first 21 shots at a 7 FPS ES is because you were still under regulation at set point pressure, past that the pressure drops and the valve as you have noted gets inconsistent and ES opens up a bunch !

Now the Gen 2 SS valve will work regulated just fine clear down at 1000 psi or less. Low power at that low of pressure and no reason to be using a balanced valve at such low output either, but sharing relativity of the 2 generations of SS valves.